Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I convince a landlord to rent to me

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

A bank statement showing only the rent being paid each month should be more than enough, any more than that is mental

When you rent out your place, you can do just that. But if someone else wants to limit risk by the applicant having to show that they can afford the property, then that is there prerogative, it would be mental in the current rental market not to try to reduce risk as much as possible, especially if there are lots to applicants to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 green_rim

linpoo wrote: »
    This will be my first time renting. Currently living with my parents. I can get an employer reference though.

I'm entitled to HAP of €1,500 and I can pay the difference up to €1,800 so I'm wondering if the HAP will put them off

How do you manage a €1,500 HAP entitlement if you have a job :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Dav010 wrote: »
    When you rent out your place, you can do just that. But if someone else wants to limit risk by the applicant having to show that they can afford the property, then that is there prerogative, it would be mental in the current rental market not to try to reduce risk as much as possible, especially if there are lots to applicants to choose from.
    Knowing how much you earn and that you have previously always paid the rent on time is more than enough, anyone who wants to know more would set off alarm bells for me that they are some sort of creep

Knowing how much you earn and that you have previously always paid the rent on time is more than enough, anyone who wants to know more would set off alarm bells for me that they are some sort of creep

In your opinion. If the LL looks for statements and you aren’t willing to provide, stand aside, the person behind is more than happy to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Dav010 wrote: »
    In your opinion. If the LL looks for statements and you aren’t willing to provide, stand aside, the person behind is more than happy to.

Gladly, these people usually turn out not to be reliable and worth the hassle for a tenant in the longer run

• Advertisement

Gladly, these people usually turn out not to be reliable and worth the hassle asked a tenant in the longer run

How do you know this? At least they can show that they have the means to pay rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If you are able to pay 1800 in rent yourself per month happily as the op says, why would you they be entitled to government assistance? Genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

This will be my first time renting. Currently living with my parents. I can get an employer reference though.

I'm entitled to HAP of €1,500 and I can pay the difference up to €1,800 so I'm wondering if the HAP will put them off

I'm afraid it will. Again if you can get to the offer stage they cant withdraw the offer because of HAP but many will be put off by it. It might be worth offering two months deposit if you can to try and offset the HAP processing time and the fact its paid in arrears.

If you are able to pay 1800 in rent yourself per month happily as the op says, why would you they be entitled to government assistance? Genuine question

Assuming a Clerical Officer, even with 16 years service they aren't paid that well, not when considering full time child care and renting in Dublin. I'd prefer to see the OPs situation any day rather than someone sat on their hole at home paying next to feck all and spending the mickey money on cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I brought payslips for my partner and I, plus employer references confirming we were employed full time, plus previous landlord references. I had a copy of that in an envelope ready to leave with the landlord/agent if they wanted it. You always pay your first month's rent up front, plus a month's rent as your deposit, but offering to pay the last month sounds like madness to me. Dress professionally even if you either don't work or your work doesn't call for it.

We were offered every single rental property we viewed using the above system despite there being literal queues. A previous landlord told me that they were offered over asking by people at the viewing but they went with us because we had our ducks in a line and there was no messing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Assuming a Clerical Officer, even with 16 years service they aren't paid that well, not when considering full time child care and renting in Dublin. I'd prefer to see the OPs situation any day rather than someone sat on their hole at home paying next to feck all and spending the mickey money on cans.

The "net income limit" looks to be 35k per annum so depending on personal tax anyone on under 45k gross would appear to be entitled to assistance once they apply to go on the housing list? Most graduates in house shares would be on less than this so potentially could apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

I brought payslips for my partner and I, plus employer references confirming we were employed full time, plus previous landlord references. I had a copy of that in an envelope ready to leave with the landlord/agent if they wanted it. You always pay your first month's rent up front, plus a month's rent as your deposit, but offering to pay the last month sounds like madness to me. Dress professionally even if you either don't work or your work doesn't call for it.

We were offered every single rental property we viewed using the above system despite there being literal queues. A previous landlord told me that they were offered over asking by people at the viewing but they went with us because we had our ducks in a line and there was no messing.

Thanks for that. I didn't realise how competitive the rental market is. Il have to get myself organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

i read that as in she can pay the difference of up to €300 (€1,800 - €1,500)

JustMe,K wrote: »
    Have you tried registering with a couple of estate agents in the area you are looking? Going in and speaking with whoever does the lettings and trying to get them to like you so that you can be ahead of properties coming on the open market? Or if there are rented apartment blocks in the area managed by one company, approaching them to see if they have anything coming up?

I hadn't thought of that but that's a good idea, thanks.

i read that as in she can pay the difference of up to €300 (€1,800 - €1,500)

OP here - that is correct.

Also I'm an executive officer but as I am work sharing I am not getting full salary.

green_rim wrote: »
    How do you manage a €1,500 HAP entitlement if you have a job :confused:

For Dublin you can get HAP for up to €1,500 and pay any extra yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

OP here - that is correct.

Also I'm an executive officer but as I am work sharing I am not getting full salary.

Best of luck with your search. Look as professional as possible, try build a rapport with the estate agent. When viewing bring your Mam, Dad or family member along with you for both moral support and also it gives a good impression to the letting agent that you have family support.

Landlords want as easy a tenant as possible and if you have support you wont be contacting the landlord for the simplest of issues ( I am not saying you would but it may give the impression you may if you are on your own).

It is a very competitive market at the moment sell your employment status and also that you are looking for something long term to rent (assuming you are) as a landlord wants to rent a property for the long term rather than the hassle of renting each year to someone new.

A final note, listen to the opinions of actual landlords on this thread, we are your audience and we can tell you what we look for in a prospective tenant.

Browney7 wrote: »
    The "net income limit" looks to be 35k per annum so depending on personal tax anyone on under 45k gross would appear to be entitled to assistance once they apply to go on the housing list? Most graduates in house shares would be on less than this so potentially could apply?

I assume so. Whether there is any needs based assessment like social housing I haven't a clue I'm afriad.

Advertisement