If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolby Vision content on Netflix through Samsung TV

Options
  • 01-03-2020 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Richersounds [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I originally posted this in the tv forum and was directed in your direction :)[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]
    Just wondering about the Samsung QLED tv , what does Dolby Vision content appear as ,when it is not supported.

Does it default to HDR 10 or something else.

I’m looking at new tvs at the moment . For some reason Samsung does not support dolby vision.

I’m thinking it could be a deal breaker given the amount of content with dolby these days.

Thanks
    Barr[/font]

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Barr wrote: »

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Richersounds [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I originally posted this in the tv forum and was directed in your direction :)[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]
    Just wondering about the Samsung QLED tv , what does Dolby Vision content appear as ,when it is not supported.

Does it default to HDR 10 or something else.

I’m looking at new tvs at the moment . For some reason Samsung does not support dolby vision.

I’m thinking it could be a deal breaker given the amount of content with dolby these days.

Thanks
    Barr[/font]
    Hi Barr,

The Dolby Vision HDR format would just display as the default HDR10 on the Samsung as it is not supported. To use Dolby Vision the manufacturer would have to pay the licence fee to be able to use it. It's built on the same core format as HDR10 but if the TV has the licence it will automatically adjust the picture settings for Dolby Vision. I have an LG OLED myself and it will adjust any Dolby Atmos content automatically.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Thanks David

I’m coming from an LG OLED as well.   It has a fantastic picture and defaults to dolby vision which is great .

However , it has screen burn so has to go

That is why I am looking at changing to Samsung but was surprised   none of their sets  support dolby vision .

My main concern is the quality will be nowhere near the LG and will be a big step down for Netflix content with Dolby Vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

How good are  LG Nanocell TVs?
     Are they much worse to Samsung QLED ?
    If I don't want to go to OLED TV, but Samsung not an option due to Dolby Vision , is NANOCELL a valid option or better look to Sony?
    ps.Forget about Dolby Vision on Samsung, never gonna happen, it is politics issue.

I would like to know more about Nanocell as well .

It seems a good bit cheaper than qled.

Better specced as well as the one I saw came with doby atmos.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

alec76 wrote: »
    How good are  LG Nanocell TVs?
     Are they much worse to Samsung QLED ?
    If I don't want to go to OLED TV, but Samsung not an option due to Dolby Vision , is NANOCELL a valid option or better look to Sony?
    ps.Forget about Dolby Vision on Samsung, never gonna happen, it is politics issue.
    Hi Barr,

The Q90 would definitely be the closest to the OLED however my own opinion is the OLEDs just can't be beaten for image quality.

The LG NANOCELLS are still a great panel but I would look at the Sony 9 series TVs first as they have great contrast, colour and motion processing. The differences aren't as great as the difference between LED and OLED but I personally prefer the picture on the 9 series Sonys over the LG SM8600 sets. The Q90 would still be one of the best LED panels though.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey Barr.

Just to add a little.

We also have in stock the 55SM9010 at £749. Its not listed on our website though.
    https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-55SM9010PLA

Next up in the NanoCell range to the 8600

That looks a decent option Kenny. How would the picture compare to an LG OLED ? (I'm afraid I might be spoiled after years of OLED :) )

Also how would it compare against the Samsung Q80 or Q90 

I mainly watch a lot of football and Netflix so looking for the best option for this,

That looks a decent option Kenny. How would the picture compare to an LG OLED ? (I'm afraid I might be spoiled after years of OLED :) )

Also how would it compare against the Samsung Q80 or Q90 

I mainly watch a lot of football and Netflix so looking for the best option for this,
    Hey Barr.

In my opinion the Nanocell sets are very good but not just as good as either the Q80 or Q90 QLED or any OLED.

Going from OLED I think it would be better to go to QLED.
    I have an OLED at home, its about 3 years old now and as I'm a big gamer the screen burn its developed is pretty noticeable but it was a risk I was willing to take as the picture is mind blowing. To be honest its really only noticeable on reds and variations of that colour.
    When I go to change I think it will be to QLED for gaming.

Just out of curiosity which LG OLED do you currently own and what image was burnt on to it?

If I didn't game it would be very hard to move off of OLED due to the picture quality when watching movies, football etc...

Don't get me wrong QLEDs produce a fantastic image but not just as good as the OLED.

MY model is  65C6V . I have it 2.5 years .

The issue with mine was I was getting a small gey rectangle on the bottom right of my screen. This was only noticeable whenever there was red or orange on the screen.

I would go back to oled in a heartbeat if I though it was reliable .

The annoying thing for me is I don’t game , the screen  was never paused for very long etc and the issues still arose.

MY model is  65C6V . I have it 2.5 years .

The issue with mine was I was getting a small gey rectangle on the bottom right of my screen. This was only noticeable whenever there was red or orange on the screen.

I would go back to oled in a heartbeat if I though it was reliable .

The annoying thing for me is I don’t game , the screen  was never paused for very long etc and the issues still arose.
    Hey Barr.

Yeah mine is a B6 and the same that its really only noticeable on Red scales.

The OLED have got more reliable but it is still possible for it to happen.
    Its much like the older Plasmas unfortunately. They had the better image but could develop image retention.

QLED is a very good alternative but it would need to be the Q80R or Q90R series as the 60 and 70 can be matched (In my opinion) with the likes of the Nanocells. It does however as you say do away with Dolby Vision.

The 65SM9010 would have a full 10 Bit panels whereas the Q60, Q70, Q80 are 10Bit (8Bit + 2FRC).
    The Q90R is also full 10 Bit.

• Advertisement

Thanks Kenny , it seems every set has some draw back so I have to make up my mind what I’m willing to live with :)

The one advantage buyers have with  OLED buying these days  – they all seem to come with 5 year warranty as standard .

Where as I only got 1 year.  Maybe an indication they are indeed more reliable.

Thanks Kenny , it seems every set has some draw back so I have to make up my mind what I’m willing to live with  :)

The one advantage buyers have with  OLED buying these days  – they all seem to come with 5 year warranty as standard .

Where as I only got 1 year.  Maybe an indication they are indeed more reliable.

Hey Barr.

The manufacturers don't like to make it an easy decision :)

Even though the LG OLEDs come with either LG's own 5 year (Depending on retailer) or our own 6 year guarantee it still does not cover screen burn unfortunately.
    LG are of the opinion that the majority of image retention is due to miss use.

The QLED range come with a Samsung 10 year screen burn warranty.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.