Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know where I report an open sewer?

Options
  • 02-03-2020 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

The back of our office, in the property next door has an open sewer. There’s no response from the owner and all the toilets paper from the stairs apartment is spilling out into out rear entrance.

Does anyone know where we can report this?

Photo here https://imgur.com/a/nE7TuDt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭divillybit

It's on private property so its not a sewer as such, but a foul pipe leading to a sewer. It's just blocked with rags or some object and will have to be rodded to clear the blockage. The property owner is ultimately responsible here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

divillybit wrote: »
    It's on private property so its not a sewer as such, but a foul pipe leading to a sewer. It's just blocked with rags or some object and will have to be rodded to clear the blockage. The property owner is ultimately responsible here

Yes but they haven’t responded so need another course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Yes but they haven’t responded so need another course of action.

Maybe contact the council or a local councillor. It wouldn’t be their responsibility to clear it as such but they might be able to contact the owner and make them take action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

My concern is that because it's at the rear entrance to our office, staff exit the building at that entrance and I'm concerned that we'll be dragged into a Health & Safety dispute as one staff member is particularly adamant about workers rights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Report to your local environmental health officer. Contact details are listed
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/environ/environmental-health-officers.html

For Offaly it is 057 9359550 HSE, Health Centre, Arden Road , Tullamore.

For the moment it might be better to only use the office front entrance until the problem us fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭divillybit

My concern is that because it's at the rear entrance to our office, staff exit the building at that entrance and I'm concerned that we'll be dragged into a Health & Safety dispute as one staff member is particularly adamant about workers rights etc.

Sounds like if the owner cant be reached you'll have to sort it yourself as essentially it is part of the workplace as it is an access point. There would have to be some local contractors who would jet that waste pipe and clear the blockage. People are dumb and think anything and everything can be flushed down into the sewage network. Im not sure if environmental health would be interested, the health and safety authority would be for sure and could issue an improvement notice

Advertisement