If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamaha 3900 Receiver, Please advise :(

Options
  • 02-03-2020 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi RS,

I was wondering if you could provide some advice.

Back around 2009 I got a Yamaha 3900 Receiver and a Kef 3005 5.1 speaker package from you in CastleCourt. 

They've been brilliant and I love their sound, but this afternoon I was watching my Nvidia Shield and the centre channel / speaker started to lose sound, it’s like it fades away.  I thought it might be the Shield or media files, but the same thing started happening during Doctor Who on the TV later this evening.

I think it might be the receiver, rather than the speakers, as I read online it might be a capacitor issue?

I was wondering if you've come across this sort of issue before or if you might have any advice?

If the worst comes to the worst, what receiver would you recommend as a replacement?

Thanks for any help and advice,

Ken

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Rael wrote: »
    Hi RS,

Back around 2009 I got a Yamaha 3900 Receiver and a Kef 3005 5.1 speaker package from you in CastleCourt. 

They've been brilliant and I love their sound, but this afternoon I was watching my Nvidia Shield and the centre channel / speaker started to lose sound, it’s like it fades away.  I thought it might be the Shield or media files, but the same thing started happening during Doctor Who on the TV later this evening.

I think it might be the receiver, rather than the speakers, as I read online it might be a capacitor issue?

I was wondering if you've come across this sort of issue before or if you might have any advice?

If the worst comes to the worst, what receiver would you recommend as a replacement?

Ken
    Hi Ken,

Thanks for the post and I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your receiver!

The first thing to do is swap the centre speaker with one of the side speakers. If the sound still drops out on the centre channel it's definitely the amp. We do offer a chargeable repair service but with the age of the amp it might not be economical to repair it plus it wouldn't have features like 4K passthrough.

If you are looking for a replacement I would recommend something like the Yamaha RXA3080 which would be the direct replacement at £1595. It would be Yamaha's top of the line AV receiver and sounds incredible:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203583-yamaha-rxa3080-black-atmos-av-receiver.aspx

We also have the RXA1080 (£999) and RXA2080 (£1399) in stock!

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Rael wrote: »
    Hi RS,

Ken
    Hi Ken,

Thanks for the post and I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your receiver!

The first thing to do is swap the centre speaker with one of the side speakers. If the sound still drops out on the centre channel it's definitely the amp. We do offer a chargeable repair service but with the age of the amp it might not be economical to repair it plus it wouldn't have features like 4K passthrough.

If you are looking for a replacement I would recommend something like the Yamaha RXA3080 which would be the direct replacement at £1595. It would be Yamaha's top of the line AV receiver and sounds incredible:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203583-yamaha-rxa3080-black-atmos-av-receiver.aspx

We also have the RXA1080 (£999) and RXA2080 (£1399) in stock!

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David
    Hi David,

Thanks for the advice.  I was watching the football tonight and the same problem happened. It only seems to kick in when something's been on for a while.  It then happened on a Youtube video too when I switched devices.  I swapped the centre speaker for the front left and it seems to be working okay, so I think it might be the centre rather than the amp.  But, I'm going to give it a proper run over the weekend to confirm the problem.

Out of interest, can you let me know what centre speakers, that might be suitable with my setup, you'd recommend as a replacement please? 

I mentioned before that my system is a Kef 3000 system (it might be the SE), also the room is 8 x 16 feet and the couch is directly in front of the TV and speakers if that's any use?

Thanks again,

Ken

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey Ken.

It does sound it might be the centre giving the issues if it followed the centre when moved to a different channel.

To get a centre to try and blend into with the remaining KEF's you could look at the Monitor Audio Radius 200. Its pretty compact and sounds great.
    Currently priced at 188 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12548-monitor-audio-radius-200-black-black-single-centre.aspx

If you want to stick with KEF they have the T101C again its compact without losing out on quality.
    Priced at 150 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201736-kef-t101c-black-single-centre.aspx

Let me know once you have had a good check over the weekend and we can go from there.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.