Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

AMKC wrote: »
    Glad you liked it. I take it you were not in Screen 1 then.
    I would not call it a small cinema. There is cinemas in the centre of London at Leicester square that are smaller but there are lots of them at least there was in 2008 when I was last there. Could have changed now I suppose.

Screen 3, so one of the smaller ones.

Saying that, I'm straight back to Cineworld as soon as it opens, but if geography wasn't an issue, I would definitely consider a switch to Odeon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

santana75 wrote: »
    Went to see the Phil Lynott documentary last night in Omniplex and thought it was great, really enjoyed it, having not known much about Phil himself. It was another enjoyable visit to the cinema, everyone well spaced out. The biggest benefit to all of this though is you're guaranteed nobody will be putting their feet on the back of your seat......Now I don't know if I ever want to return to the way it was before:D

I also saw the Phil Lynott documentary over the weekend - highly recommended. I went to support a particularly Irish film production and to see it as the director intended - big screen glory.

I watched it in the local Omniplex in Arklow - only three people there. I don't think it was any reflection on the film, the entire complex was ghost like. I didn't like the empty place, part of the cinema experience is being part of a crowd, even if it can drive you mad at times. 'Crowd' management at the complex was excellent - one way entrance and exit routes, advance booking and automated ticket collection, clear covid policy signage, spotless all round.

While being able to actually go to the cinema was first step in the right direction, we are not anywhere near a normal experience yet and I would worry about how long cinema operators can hang on while saying open for far below capacity screenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Went to Odeon in Portlaoise last Thursday - Limitless Member

Reading the correspondence prior to visiting - have your ticket on your phone because we are not printing tickets - went up to counter to get food and had to spend 5 mins getting our 2 tickets printed because they had too.... then they are serving the limited menu so literally popcorn and drink and bags of sweets. No nachos - rage! But happy to be in the cinema as missed it so much

There was 6 people in screen 2 - we had sat in the wrong row - yes.... we were wrong... but there was no1 within like 4 metres of us and no1 in either row- and we got moved to the correct row - the next row in front - L vs M - seemed a tad excessive!

I went back out to the lobby to get Malteasers cos im a fatty and got asked by the same person that served me 3 mins prior had I got my ticket and did I need a ticket - and couldnt understand that had been served by her previously

I will say the cinema was clean - everyone had masks - super comfy - air con was on full - movie was awesome - Quiet Place 2. But with limited services and controlled so much its not quite the cinema experience that we are used to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Had to change my philo trip in the stella to next saturday and cannot wait!

in the meantime it's A quiet place II tonight in naas , also can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

My local cinema is reopening tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'm off to see in the heights this weekend cannot wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

gmisk wrote: »
    I'm off to see in the heights this weekend cannot wait!

Ditto. Not usually a fan of musicals but I'm hoping this is more La la land than Les miserables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ditto. Not usually a fan of musicals but I'm hoping this is more La la land than Les miserables.

I do not see the difference they are both overhyped rubbish films. Now if it was "The Greatest Showman" now that's a film.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I do not see the difference they are both overhyped rubbish films. Now if it was "The Greatest Showman" now that's a film.
    I enjoyed la la land despite the massive hype, best to take it is you find it, minus the hype.

I saw the greatest showman before it seemed to catch on as in the week it was out and there were about 5 people at the screening.....the songs are extremely catchy....but it is a tad shoddily acted in parts and badly made...CGI elephant etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Very disappointing alright. Must be getting it hard to get there employees back.

Vue is opening tomorrow.
    Will look at going early next week.

• Advertisement
    Ms

F1ngers wrote: »
    Vue is opening tomorrow.
    Will look at going early next week.

Was nearly going to go see Top Gun untill I realised that is the original one lol and on at a time that does not suit me anyway.
    When is the new one out. I am going to wait till there is actually something I want to see out going before I go. Nothing really out at the moment that interests me in any Cinema. Is Smithfield open yet?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Was nearly going to go see Top Gun untill I realised that is the original one lol and on at a time that does not suit me anyway.
    When is the new one out. I am going to wait till there is actually something I want to see out going before I go. Nothing really out at the moment that interests me in any Cinema. Is Smithfield open yet?
    Lighthouse not til Friday 25th

I went to see les miserables and after 20 minutes I'd lost the will to live. I was led to it under false pretenses, I had no idea they would be singing the entire feckin' film. La la Land on the other hand is magnificent from start to finish. Its inspiring and uplifting and I find it hard to believe that anyone who has sat through this movie could possibly dislike it. The people who've I talked to who say they dont like it.......turns out they never watched it all, or only watched a few minutes then turned it off. The greatest Showman is also uplifting and inspiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Oh please…. Greatest Showman? More like the ok showman. Extremely mediocre movie.

I went to see les miserables and after 20 minutes I'd lost the will to live. I was led to it under false pretenses, I had no idea they would be singing the entire feckin' film. La la Land on the other hand is magnificent from start to finish. Its inspiring and uplifting and I find it hard to believe that anyone who has sat through this movie could possibly dislike it. The people who've I talked to who say they dont like it.......turns out they never watched it all, or only watched a few minutes then turned it off. The greatest Showman is also uplifting and inspiring.

You didn’t know the movie based on the internationally renowned musical was a musical???

LA LA Land is the best modern musical in a decade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Les Miserables the musical is based on noted work of literature Les Miserables the novel IIRC, and to be fair it's either one thing or the other first in people's minds, depending on who you ask. I could see how you might watch a musical expecting an adaptation of the Victor Hugo novel instead.

OU812 wrote: »

You didn’t know the movie based on the internationally renowned musical was a musical???

I actually didnt, no. I knew there might be the odd song, but I had no idea that they would sing every single line of dialogue. This was (bad) news to me and something I only found out about once the film had started. A musical, to me anyway, is a film with proper, non-singing dialogue, and the odd song thrown in there(such as La la land).
    Anyway we may veering slightly off topic here.........just hoping that "In the heights" is like La la land and not a film where they sing every line of dialogue, if it is, someone please give me a heads up. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

In the Heights is based on the musical by Lin Manuel Miranda. Since Hamilton was all singing, if I remember correctly, this will likely be the same

CastorTroy wrote: »
    In the Heights is based on the musical by Lin Manuel Miranda. Since Hamilton was all singing, if I remember correctly, this will likely be the same

Not all singing, thankfully. It was no La la land, or even The greatest showman. At 2hr 20mins it was painfully drawn out. Have to say overall I found it disappointing, just didn't do it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

OU812 wrote: »
    Oh please…. Greatest Showman? More like the ok showman. Extremely mediocre movie.

If someone said to me to watch such and such musical, I would presume that it is mostly dialogue, with some parts where they break into song - like the aforementioned La La Land, Moulin Rougue, The Greatest Showman, Grease, Oliver Twist, Sing, Rock of Ages, Mama Mia.
    ]I would never purposely sit through an entire film of just singing. I never envisaged such a type of film existed. I have never seen Les Miserable, but have often meant to watch the Hugh Jackman one. If it is all singing, I'll definitely be giving it a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I liked Les Mis. It was all singing but found the songs were good.
    Phantom of the Opera is nearly all singing but I think all the songs I would recognise and like are in the first half

Ms

I am the same as you. I also nearly lost the will to live watching that in the cinema. Worst film I ever seen in the Cinema.
    All right I will admit I had no right to call "La La Land" crap. I have not seen it but will watch it next time I get a chance too. It does seem like it could be a decent film. So I take back what I said about it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I am the same as you. I also nearly lost the will to live watching that in the cinema. Worst film I ever seen in the Cinema.
    All right I will admit I had no right to call "La La Land" crap. I have not seen it but will watch it next time I get a chance too. It does seem like it could be a decent film. So I take back what I said about it.

You won't regret it, in fact there's a good chance you'll end up loving that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Space Dog

A musical, to me anyway, is a film with proper, non-singing dialogue, and the odd song thrown in there(such as La la land).

Well that's where you're wrong :) There's a lot wrong with the film version of Les Mis, but the fact that it's sung through isn't one of them.
    Evita, Starllight Express, Hamilton, Cats and many others are fully sung-through.
    There's even more that are mainly sung but have a few lines of dialog - Phantom of the Opera, Rent or Sunset Boulevard, to name a few.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Just been to the Vue, great to be back watching movies on the big screen.
    Went to see Monster Hunter, son and I were the only 2 in the theatre - :pac:

Cinema, popcorn and coke, loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In the earth is a must see for lovers of extreme psychedelia who want to go to the cinema and feel alive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So do you have to mask up the whole time your there or is just until your seated ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

So do you have to mask up the whole time your there or is just until your seated ?

Just until seated you have to wear it. Off then obviously.

Went to In The Heights last week.

Enjoyed the experience of going to the cinema again and it was just me and my GF in the screen we went to.

As an aside, was beyond pleasantly surprised with the movie. Thought I’d hate it but have found myself listening to the soundtrack a good bit now.

Not a fan of Broadway so I liked the way it was done. Didn’t enjoy Hamilton for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

callaway92 wrote: »
    Just until seated you have to wear it. Off then obviously.

Went to In The Heights last week.

Enjoyed the experience of going to the cinema again and it was just me and my GF in the screen we went to.

As an aside, was beyond pleasantly surprised with the movie. Thought I’d hate it but have found myself listening to the soundtrack a good bit now.

Not a fan of Broadway so I liked the way it was done. Didn’t enjoy Hamilton for that reason.

Oh great that sounds ideal I miss the cinema loads and gonna chance going back when Black Widow comes out , thanks :)

Wanted to go see a movie last night but everything at my local was sold out. I know theres a max of 50 people per screening, and I was disappointed not to be able to go, but I was happy to see the cinema doing such brisk business once again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I noticed Cineworld is asking people to wear masks the entire time, except when eating.

I’m sure it’s not policed particularly strictly, but stood out as most places are “you can take your mask off when seated”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I noticed Cineworld is asking people to wear masks the entire time, except when eating.

I’m sure it’s not policed particularly strictly, but stood out as most places are “you can take your mask off when seated”.

It would take the entire viewing for me to finish my popcorn in that case.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

That is odd, the lighthouse has a message at start saying you can take off your mask when seated.
    Does that mean Cineworld dont need to space people out as much?

I went to in the heights today in the lighthouse, I would say maybe 20 people well spaced it was very pleasant.
    Loved the film as well

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I haven't been back since but it seems Omniplex have a rule where masks must be worn except when eating or drinking. I have literally zero interest in going if this is the case - can somebody confirm if this is true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Buy some popcorn and sit with it on your lap and you won't have to wear a mask.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

According to their website you only have to wear a mask when social distancing isn’t possible such as in the foyer or when not sitting in your assigned seat.

Its not true. I've been to Omniplex a few times since it opened up again, havent bought food or drink once and I take my mask off once in the theatre itself. Everything is fine that way. You have to wear a mask in the foyer, entering and leaving, but thats about it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Cineworld was still well spaced out when I went there with every second row empty and three seats empty either side of us (admittedly it was an early Saturday morning show). I did find it a little odd that the rule was different there. It could be just a choice made by head management, although at the same time the rules in the UK (which we're generally under) would be very different.

Seems like theres been a change with cinemas and their policies. In Omniplex anyway. When booking a film this week I noticed that now they're saying you have to show proof of vaccination upon entry. I looked at their website and it says that they have the option of operating at 50 persons per screen or 60% of capacity where all people are vaccinated. Looks like they've chosen option 2. So now if you aren't vaccinated you cant go to the cinema?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Light House and IFI are also asking for COVID certs from this week.

Difficult decision for cinemas due to the practical issues involved. But 60% capacity is a massive increase, so no surprise they’re opting to go with that.

Under the current plan the requirement should be lifted from October 22nd.

Yeah I understand its a business at the end of the day. Hopefully that will be lifted after the 22nd of October. Although it looks like cineworld arent requiring proof of vaccination so for those who havent been vaccinated at least theres one place to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I went last night and they didn't ask. Signs out saying to have ID and vaccine pass but no one asked. Not even sure they have the staff to ask really without slowing getting people into the screen a lot too tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Movies at Swords scanning covid certs on the way in last night.

They've also changed their Monday deal from a large to a medium 😯

Good move. They get an increase in business and those of us who’ve been vaxxed can have a decent concern free night out.

I went to a local non-chain cinema tonight. No asking for a pass or otherwise.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

I don't see why you would be concerned in the first place. The seat separation measures where were such that there was a fair distance between people anyway. I don't recall even one case being traced back to the cinema.

Means I don’t have to be concerned AT ALL. Not even a little bit.

People who have been vaccinated can still spread Covid. People who have been vaccinated can still get Covid. Maybe you should be a little bit concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Getting the vaccine means you are unlikely to die, or get seriously ill. You could still touch a surface and spread it to someone else. If you get it you will be infectious for shorter time than someone unvaccinated. Which means a cinema full of vaccinated people are less likely to have it, and spread it less. But you could still catch it. The risk is low though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Whats happening in cinemas anyway, are they social distancing people, and will that stop on the 20th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Went Omniplex Sunday to see Shang-chi, no vax questions, usual scan and sanitize before ordering food.

Went again yesterday and now they're scanning the Vax certs as well, with gaps of 1 between seats, no big impact.

All I want is Nachos back..but they said it's cos of Brexit and a shortage of nacho cheese.

Shook to the core.

Advertisement