Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i've heard that exact statement word for word by a small amount of loons l know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Going tonight first time since Jan 2020 to see the Sopranos prequel, can't wait, no restrictions here, back to real life 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Saw Copshop in Rathmines last week, no vaccination proof was requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I never said I was vaxxed or unvaxxed the point I'm making is that I don't disclose my private medical history to random people.

So I'm a "loon" for wanting to keep my medical history private ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Grand. No problem. You're free to go elsewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You regard the extremely public, if not global, CoVid vaccination as "medical history"? That's like huffing over being asked about your MMR shot; you're not being asked for your private medical history, you're being asked to confirm you were jabbed against a global virus; an action taken as a public health measure - not your personal medical history. TBH it's a weird hill to die on here, given 90% of the qualifying population now have had at least one shot IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont see it as a problem, you are still anonymous essentially, and nobody so far has asked me for ID. and the restaurants I have been so far they are happy to see a folded up piece of paper

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Er "public health" is an abstraction. It doesn't mean that what happens to you personally at a hospital/medical clinic is public. Yes of course medical confidentiality covers things like vaccination. Doubly so when people are casting blame on other people over their vax status.

• Advertisement

We’ll you’re in the company of loons at least

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Schools, creches and other institutions handling children have been known to refuse those without their MMR shots: this isn't an especially new phenomenon that a business refuses custom from those who themselves refused a vaccine for an infectious disease. If your sense of individualism extends to hiding your vaccination status - a vaccine strategy explicitly designed towards herd immunity of everyone - then we won't meet in the middle here.

A business simply asking if you've been vaccinated is a simple ask, not a great impinging on your personhood. As others have said, you're welcome to go elsewhere if this ask is too much.

Many people are refusing to waive their privacy, and its not exclusive to unvaccinated people.

These 'passports' will never be free from controversy and you're kidding yourself if you think they will be.

the "herd immunity" ship has sailed if the term means will die out because of a critical mass of uninfectible people. The smart people consensus is that it is endemic so essentially like the flu, it will be seasonal, everyone will be exposed to it multiple times over the next few years

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

And they're free to do so - however, these businesses are also within their rights to refuse entry based on public health concerns. It can be dressed up as an issue of privacy if you like, but it doesn't escape the reality brought on by a pandemic (and attempts to return to normalcy in this interim stage we live in).

I have no illusions about "passports", or their implementation because there's no governmental initiative that can't be ballsed up. But nor do I have illusions or paranoia that sharing my jab status is "waiving" anything. It's not a private issue when literally the entire country is getting the jab. As I said, the MMR shots is an equivalence.

TBH, if you privacy is a concern, you shouldn't be on the internet. Or at the very least, using DuckDuckGo, alongside a tonne of ad-blockers ;-)

Well true, herd immunity isn't really a concept anymore in terms of killing off the disease. And I already see the headlines about Booster Shots, so looks like we're transitioning into a situation where Covid simply becomes part of the Winter Flu vaccination conversation. So much of CoVid is repeatable across other walks of life, the wailing of Privacy! seems a little naive and selective. And if anything, this pandemic was coming - the signs were there, and really we're damn lucky it wasn't smallpox or something more lethal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Pretty decent, I prob won't watch it again but it was pretty entertaining. Nice bit of suspense and action in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I had to double look at this forum again as I thought I was in the covid 19 one and not the cinema one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Thread title - "Going to the cinema during Covid" It covers both.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Your right it is but it's starting to turn into more a covid forum now less a going to cinema during covid

Protests in 300 European cities this month. Ireland with its near-perfect conformity to emergency diktat only represents one end of a political spectrum.

• Advertisement

Why would anyone protest? Almost everything is open and in about a month, everything will be open.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

I'm talking about protests that have already happened and in other countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

Agreed. Lads please give it a rest, theres enough petty squabbling in the outside world at the moment. Vaccinated, unvaccinated.......people turning on each other over an injection????? Madness.

Saw saints of Newark yesterday, not sure what to make of it

It is my private medical history that's a fact.

I have never before been asked in my in life what medicines etc I have taken outside of a medical setting.

Even at the height of the AIDS crisis nobody was forced to disclose their HIV status.

If 90% of people have taken the jab then they don't have to worry about me and what my jab status is.

Personally I couldn't care less what medical treatments somebody may or may not have had.

But I will never disclose my private medical history to random people.

Once the principle of medical privacy has been broken based on a peoples vaccination status its only a matter of time before it moves into other areas of a persons medical history.

Well if loons use toilet paper then I suppose I shouldn't use toilet paper either.

You can't go to a lot of places now without showing your papers based on your medical history.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If they’re taking requests for this new, apparently imminent medical disclosure regime I’d like to see a ‘verruca cert’ to ensure anyone using the changing rooms at the swimming pool doesn’t have a verruca. Nasty blighters, verrucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

That AIDS analogy is nonsense, btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Was v disappointed in it myself to be honest. Really poor overall.

...and that's due to end in about three weeks.

I'm hoping to get to it this week at some stage.

when you say medical history you mean vax cert yes?

The key point here is your assertion this is all "private". You can say that it is, but it's no more "private" than any other Public Health Initiative taken for the public good & protection of the broad population; I would presume you'd refuse to tell a school or creche if your child got the MMR shots? Just to apply your own logic of giving "private" medical history to a stranger - and a lot more accurate analogy than AIDs, wherever that came from.

Don't get me wrong; the idea of showing my cert to some spotty teenager half-ássing his working day in the cinema is ... surreal. But it ain't Thin End of the Wedge territory either; that's just melodramatic.

Going to agree to disagree here because you're obviously stubbornly sticking your flag in the ground here; fundamentally, this can't be seen as your private medical history, because its status is important as part of a public approach to counter a global pandemic and - TBH - a little selfish to be belligerent about it otherwise. "Privacy" isn't an absolute. As trite as it was to say - we are all in this together. I'd wonder if you'd be this way had the pandemic been something exponentially more virulent or lethal.

And as pointed out already, because of our high vaccination numbers, will be defunct in the coming weeks anyway; in the meantime, you're free to attend cinemas that won't be asking for your proof of jab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

So you've never been to Thailand for example? Where you have to show Hep A, typhoid etc to get into the country.

Hate to be restricted to where I could visit in the world because I wouldn't show some staff member in an airport my 'private medical data'

I went to see The Many Saints of Newark this evening. I forgot to bring a mask from the car. I twigged when I saw the fella at the counter with one on. I apologised and offered to run back to the car to get one. He told me I was grand and not to worry about it. Pleasant evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Went to see Bond today, first time at the cinema since seeing Parasite in February of last year.

It was great to be back. Even the popcorn smell walking in the door of the building was a highlight and it was further proof, not that it was needed that the big screen is the best way to watch a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Anyone been to the Odeon in the Point recently? Want to go see Bond in the iSense screen but have read that they keep the lights on during films now for some safety rubbish.

Apologies if it's been mentioned beforein the thread but I can't find any way to just search through individual threads since the forum change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I go to the odeon in Coolock and they don’t keep the lights on for safety. Maybe if the screen has steps they might have to.

I can only imagine the law suits they must have been getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was in Cineworld this morning (been sticking to lighthouse recently) they were checking for covid certs not had that before has that been about for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Was there last night to see Dune and they did indeed keep the lights on throughout. It was ridiculous and really detracted from the picture on screen, making many of the dark scenes look very grey and washed out. Hugely disappointing, won't be in a rush to go back to that cinema again.

good to know, thats where I was going to go, Dundrum it is then

That's so stupid that they do that, hopefully not a thing all cinemas end up doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

There’s no way in hell I’d go to a cinema that did that. I’d say a lot of people would be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Odeon is well known for this and have been doing it for years. It's for safety because they are too cheap to put floor lights in or pay anyone to guide people to their seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Looks like the having seats booked around you is gone at Omniplex now so they're back to full capacity. Was nice having those seats being blocked tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

I kind of liked having nobody behind me, guaranteed nobody would put their feet on your seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, was a benefit. Less people in the cinema so less chance of idiots and more space around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

It must have been a very long time since I was last there, because the lights-on during the entire movie was new to me! I'm definitely going to email them about it, for all the good that will do.

I'm not being overly dramatic when I say that it really did ruin the clarity of the picture, especially one that had as many dark scenes as Dune. For a cinema that apparently promotes the experience of the image as a main part of the draw to their iSense screen (4k projection and ceiling to floor picture), its bonkers that they would then go and hamper the visual experience in such a negative way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement