Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appoint female mods in AH & CA

Options
  • 02-03-2020 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

The two largest and most active forums on Boards — After Hours and Current Affairs — are moderated almost exclusively by men.

AH has 10 mods, all of whom are male. CA has 11 mods, only one of whom is female — but she has not been active on Boards for 6 months, so for all intents and purposes, there are no female mods currently active in that forum either. In addition, both Cmods of these forums are also male. I don't know that we have any currently active female admins, either?

Meanwhile, a number of female posters have pointed out a misogynistic undercurrent to these forums that they believe mods don't take seriously.

Whether that's the case or not, it doesn't look good for Boards.ie that its two largest forums have a 20:1 ratio of male to female mods.

If a woman has an issue with sexism on one of these forums, she's told to talk to the (male) mods. If that fails, talk to the (male) Cmods. If that fails, talk to the (male) admins. She might be forgiven for feeling like it's the 1950s all over again.

Simple solution: Create a more equitable environment by appointing more female mods.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There have been female mods in the past who've stepped down or closed their accounts.

Don't see the problem.

Btw, why are there no male mods in the ladies lounge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

If a woman has an issue with sexism on one of these forums, she's told to talk to the (male) mods. If that fails, talk to the (male) Cmods. If that fails, talk to the (male) admins. She might be forgiven for feeling like it's the 1950s all over again.

Ah now that's very unfair to the mods.

In my experience they all act very quickly (sometimes too quickly and I miss the juicy bits :D) but I've never felt there's a sexism element to their mod decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The two largest and most active forums on Boards — After Hours and Current Affairs — are moderated almost exclusively by men.

Simple solution: Create a more equitable environment by appointing more female mods.

This idea of basing appointments to positions of responsibility is predicated upon the agreement that there is an issue in the first place which needs to be addressed, and the convenient solution to address it is simply to make appointments based upon appearances.

I wouldn’t assume that all women or all men would share the same hive mind so appointments can’t simply be based upon sex. There has been no indication in my mind that moderators or admins for that matter are biased one way or another, same as claims that the site as a whole is either left-leaning or right-leaning depending upon a posters own perception.

Reality is somewhat more nuanced, as it is in the case of assuming that more women in positions of authority would mean less misogyny on Boards... over a couple of threads now I’ve seen quite the opposite in effect, and I’m not the least bit surprised by it. I think it’s rather naive to assume people’s opinions delineate neatly along sex based lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yeah, it's so simple. Where from exactly? It's difficult finding anyone at all, never mind applying specific criteria. We've had some in the past (whoospie, LizT, lucyfer) of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Yeah, it's so simple. Where from exactly? It's difficult finding anyone at all, never mind applying specific criteria. We've had some in the past (whoospie, LizT, lucyfer) of course.

Sarcasm isn't the answer to feedback. You should be appreciative to people taking time to try and come up with ideas to improve the site.

• Advertisement

Peatys wrote: »
    Sarcasm isn't the answer to feedback. You should be appreciative to people taking time to try and come up with ideas to improve the site.

I'm being serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Absolutely zero sarcasm in my post. I'm being serious.

'Yeah, its so simple?'

Peatys wrote: »
    'Yeah, its so simple?'

Yeah I realised that after I posted :D

But seriously, my point stands. Have you anything to contribute yourself?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

The gender distribution of mods is incidental and not by design. As others have said, there have been female mods of both forums in the past and there will be again. However we're not going to indulge in gender quotas for mod teams and actively look for female mods only to fulfil a ratio/quota.

Mods are selected due to their suitability, availability and willingness to take on the job, that's it and I think those are the only sensible things that should apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Imagine a woman having to talk to a male mod? The horror!

Gender shouldn't come into it and, to be blunt, if a woman is uncomfortable interacting with a man the internet really isn't the place for her.

I'm a woman and find the misogyny angle is sometimes overblown. Sure, there's negative comments posted about woman, but you'll find them about all other demographics too.

This all seems a tad white knightish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

why are there no male mods in the ladies lounge?
    Ah now, hardly a fair comparison! Is AH a space for discussing men's issues solely? The Gentlemen's Club is the more apt comparison. And Wibbs used to mod The Ladies' Lounge. Amirani - a guy - mods it now.

But personally I don't care what sex the moderators are, so long as they intervene when people are acting the dick (and I don't mean people posting stuff I disagree with before that tedious, dishonest gem gets trotted out - a discussion forum would be boring if it was just views I agreed with, of course I don't object to differing views). For example the Duffy thread, civil discussion without sneery, passive aggressive jibes would be super.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Ah now, hardly a fair comparison! Is AH a space for discussing men's issues solely? The Gentlemen's Club is the more apt comparison. And Wibbs used to mod The Ladies' Lounge. Amirani - a guy - mods it now.

tLL is also deader than a morgue these days, unlike CA and AH.

I’m not in favour of gender quotas for mods in any forum but I do think that the teams in CA/AH badly need a bit of balance. It allows for a broader range of perspectives at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There are times when there are daily ....Why are women? why do women? Why are Irish women?....usually followed by some bitch about women.

Look at the current thread in CA about consent? It has some concerning views and videos.

Then the thread about Duffy. Comparing American women to dogs.

That said, while its clear these people dont like women, they dont like anyone; these people probably dont like themselves either.

There are some fun threads in AH, most people there are sound.

The thread about the murder in Citywest last week was also shocking - when the mod actioned it, only two posts out of pages remained.

I believe posts like thst should be reported when you see them.

The gender distribution of mods is incidental and not by design. As others have said, there have been female mods of both forums in the past and there will be again. However we're not going to indulge in gender quotas for mod teams and actively look for female mods only to fulfil a ratio/quota.

Mods are selected due to their suitability, availability and willingness to take on the job, that's it and I think those are the only sensible things that should apply.

Speaking of which Niamh. How are mods appointed?

Are they chosen or do they apply?
    What's the criteria.
    All my years on boards and I've no idea how it happens.

Raconteuse wrote: »

But personally I don't care what sex the moderators are, so long as they intervene when people are acting the dick (and I don't mean people posting stuff I disagree with before that tedious, dishonest gem gets trotted out - a discussion forum would be boring if it was just views I agreed with, of course I don't object to differing views). For example the Duffy thread, civil discussion without sneery, passive aggressive jibes would be super.

It was to the op and sort of retorical. Personally I couldn't care less about the gender of a mod.

Speaking of which Niamh. How are mods appointed?

Are they chosen or do they apply?
    What's the criteria.
    All my years on boards and I've no idea how it happens.

They are chosen usually from the regular posters in a forum. So someone who already has an interest in the forum and it's subject and has made good contributions, is able to get along with others even while disagreeing with their opinion for example is a good choice.
    Usually Cmods will submit a list to Admins of who they think is suitable for a forum that needs a mod replacement. When approved, the person/people are asked if they would like to take it on or not.

If not, back to square one :)

They are chosen usually from the regular posters in a forum. So someone who already has an interest in the forum and it's subject and has made good contributions, is able to get along with others even while disagreeing with their opinion for example is a good choice.
    Usually Cmods will submit a list to Admins of who they think is suitable for a forum that needs a mod replacement. When approved, the person/people are asked if they would like to take it on or not.

If not, back to square one :)

Can we ask how many female posters have been asked in the last year or so?

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Can we ask how many female posters have been asked in the last year or so?

Do you mean in general or for those specific forums?

EDIT: I had a scan through all of the mods approved and offered modships since March last year up to now.

By my reckoning there were 35 in all, 8 of those were female and the rest were male** so 23% female. That's not to say all of the 35 accepted the offer but those were the offers made.

**I was unsure about 8 of the users and had to scour their posting history to try work it out so it may still not be totally accurate. And to clarify, not the same 8 that were female above, these were 1f, 7m.

Do you mean in general or for those specific forums?

CA/AH specifically. Thanks.

Over the past year from what I can see 2 mods were added to AH (both male) and one to CA (male).

Current Affairs hasn't been around for a full year yet, it was set up in June 2019 and most of the mods there inherited it via AH or are Admins helping out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

AH has 10 mods, all of whom are male. CA has 11 mods, only one of whom is female — but she has not been active on Boards for 6 months, so for all intents and purposes, there are no female mods currently active in that forum either. In addition, both Cmods of these forums are also male. I don't know that we have any currently active female admins, either?

Meanwhile, a number of female posters have pointed out a misogynistic undercurrent to these forums that they believe mods don't take seriously.

Whether that's the case or not, it doesn't look good for Boards.ie that its two largest forums have a 20:1 ratio of male to female mods.

You are presuming that all of these meds identify as "male" of course. Not very progressive of you.

Over the past year from what I can see 2 mods were added to AH (both male) and one to CA (male).

Yeah, but how many female posters were even approached/asked?

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Yeah, but how many female posters were even approached/asked?

That was the sum total, 3 (who happened to be male) were suggested, approved and asked, the 3 accepted. Contrary to popular belief, finding mods for incredibly busy forums where you are going to get abuse for over and/or under-moderating is very difficult.

In Feb last year (just outside the year mark) 4 mods were proposed for AH, one of those was female, all were approved but I'm not sure if she turned it down or others were offered first.

That was the sum total, 3 (who happened to be male) were suggested, approved and asked, the 3 accepted. Contrary to popular belief, finding mods for incredibly busy forums where you are going to get abuse for over and/or under-moderating is very difficult.

I'd well believe it would be very difficult to find a female mod for CA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

So someone who already has an interest in the forum and it's subject and has made good contributions, is able to get along with others even while disagreeing with their opinion for example is a good choice.

I would have thought that quite a few female posters would meet those basic criteria.
    Contrary to popular belief, finding mods for incredibly busy forums where you are going to get abuse for over and/or under-moderating is very difficult.
    anewme wrote: »
    I'd well believe it would be very difficult to find a female mod for CA.

Eh? How is this any more than a sexist assumption that women are less capable than men of handling abuse or criticism?

Eh? How is this any more than a sexist assumption that women are less capable than men of handling abuse or criticism?

It's nothing about being able handling abuse or criticism. Far from it.

Given the tone of some of the quality of posts/ threads/posters (and I am referencing CA here only) are very challenging (I am being kind here)and I could only speak for myself, you'd just not be arsed giving your wit to it and I'd have sympathy for anyone (man or woman) taking on that particular role.

It's one that requires an awful lot of work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

In Feb last year (just outside the year mark) 4 mods were proposed for AH, one of those was female, all were approved but I'm not sure if she turned it down or others were offered first.

She was asked, and chose to decline

I would have thought that quite a few female posters would meet those basic criteria.
    I'm sure they do but there are far more prolific posters who are male in CA than female and they are more likely to come to the attention of the mod team/Cmod team when seeking mods. AH is a bit of a mix but being prolific alone without the other attributes is not always a positive.

No one equated it with a lack of capability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I'm sure they do but there are far more prolific posters who are male in CA than female and they are more likely to come to the attention of the mod team/Cmod team when seeking mods. AH is a bit of a mix but being prolific alone without the other attributes is not always a positive.

The CA/AH mod who posted above you has 2,842 posts since he signed up 7 years ago, and with all due respect to him, I'd hardly regard him as a noted contributor to either of these forums. I rarely come across a post from him that is not a mod instruction — and I can say the same thing about some other mods.
    No one equated it with a lack of capability.

Then why mention the abuse that mods have to deal with in trying to explain why there are so few female mods?

Sorry, you and others can try to explain this away, or claim it doesn't matter — but a male to female gender ratio of 20:1 in the moderating teams of the site's two largest forums really doesn't present a good image for Boards in the year 2020. I'm not calling for gender quotas, but I believe these forums could both benefit from greater female representation at the moderating table.

• Advertisement

I'm not calling for gender quotas, but I believe these forums could both benefit from greater female representation at the moderating table.

I do agree that a balance would be beneficial.

I still think it would be hard enough on the CA one, do many female posters engage with and enjoy that forum?

Niamh, if people are willing - can they put themselves forward as a mod?

Advertisement