Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Road Trip

Options
  • 02-03-2020 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi

Has anyone recently done a road trip from Los Angeles via Las Vegas and finishing in San Francisco?

A lot of the posts here are very dated so looking for some up to date info.

Any websites with suggested routes and places to visit and how long I should stay at each place.

Thinking of 3 nights in LA then rent a car and drive to Vegas, stay two nights and then 3 nights in San Fran.

Looking at replicating the below over two weeks.

https://www.gadventures.com/trips/western-express-northbound/NUPN/

Budget is about 2-2.5k excluding spending money.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Would advise against staying in LA for that long, or at all. Parking is horrendously expensive and there really is very little to see. It's not a walk and and explore city. If you want to stay in the area, consider some of the outlying beach towns, I liked Santa Monica.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I've done SF to wine country and all the way down to San Diego via 101 so can only help you with LA and San Fran. Loved both. Wish I had more time in LA. 3 nights will be fine. SF is great but the amount of homeless is very offputting. 3 nights will do there aswell. Ive no interest in Vegas.

That route you posted is a lot of driving. Thats well over 1000 miles so you're looking at about 30 hours driving over two weeks with stops for lunches, petrol etc through featureless desert. Some of those days require 6-7 hours in a the car. By the time you arrive you'll be knackered and fit for bed and dreading the drive the next day.

Honestly my advice would be not to take on that level of road time. Thats time that could be spent enjoying places to stay. Would advise to aim for less places, or places closer together, less driving, and more time settled somewhere.

Theres not a whole lot in Joshua Tree, or Lake Havasu apart from Spring Breakers. You can fly from LA to Vegas easily and for nowt. Or drive in about 4 hours.

There are some great places in wine country and down 101 for you to visit like Monterey, Big Sur, Malibu, Santa Barbara. Ive done two of these big US trips now and made sure the most I drove in any day was 3 hours, which was plenty.

If you do go for the driving option, petrol is really cheap, as are car rentals and in that neck of the woods you'll find nice motels for cheap too so you're well within budget.
    Caranica wrote: »
    Would advise against staying in LA for that long, or at all. Parking is horrendously expensive and there really is very little to see. It's not a walk and and explore city. If you want to stay in the area, consider some of the outlying beach towns, I liked Santa Monica.

Well Santa Monica is in LA. But yeah, its so huge you need a car but walking down Venice Beach was great. And around Venice itself. Same for West Hollywood, night out on Sunset Boulevard, drive up Mulholland and the hills, walk of fame.... loads to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

Thanks for the info, both of you.

The Nal, Would LA for 3 nights then fly to Vegas then drive from Vegas to San Fran be worth while?

What was the route you took?

heffo500 wrote: »
    The Nal, Would LA for 3 nights then fly to Vegas then drive from Vegas to San Fran be worth while?

It all depends on how much driving you're willing to do. Some people have no issue with it. I try and avoid it where possible. Vegas to San Francisco is a 9 hour drive for example. 8 of those hours looking like this

Thats one day from your 14 gone. Although you could do a couple of nights in Death Valley and Yosemite on the way to break it up but thats still a long long drive from Vegas to Yosemite.
    What was the route you took?

A completely different trip than the one you're looking at really. SF, Napa, Sonoma, Healdsburg, Monterey, Santa Barbara, LA, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, Temecula, San Diego. Longest I was in the car for was 3 hours between Monterey and Pismo Beach. About 12 hours driving in total over nearly 3 weeks. Stopped in a few places en route for a wander and a coffee or a bit of lunch. Santa Cruz (a kip), Carmel by the Sea (not a kip), Newport Beach, San Clemente, Laguna etc.

Did a similar trip in the south. Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana etc. Again, longest single trip was 3 hours from Nashville to Memphis. There really is nothing worse than being out the night before a big drive worrying about it, watching what you're drinking, conscious of how much sleep you need etc.

Actually there is one thing worse. The next day facing a massive drive hungover like a mother****er.

So it really depends what type of holiday you're after. You can't do both. You can do the Canyon, Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite etc or the coast side. Or a mix which will cost you a couple of days travel. My advice would be to pick the places you really want to go to and try make it work. And don't be afraid to cross somewhere off its not an efficient use of time. You're going to miss loads of places no matter what!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

I previously done a trip from San Fran, down route 101 along the coast to Santa Barbara, and then onto vegas.. this was the route:

https://goo.gl/maps/DQbS3DT5ohmmgf1G9

I would high recommend what we done.

We done:

San Fran 2 days - Plenty of time to cycle golden gate bridge to Sausalito for lunch, and head down to Haight-Ashbury for some beers and people watching.

Pacific Grove 2 days - chilled out in an amazing guesthouse here for 2 days, beautiful little town and lovely places to eat and have a few drinks. Place was called Seven Gables Inn.

Cambria 2 days - Stayed on the beach in a place called Pelican Inn and Suites, was decent enough accomodation but beach was at the doorstep and it was lovely.

Santa Barbara 3 days - Cool town with lots to do from stand up paddle boarding, surfing etc, to breweries to amazing restaurants. Expensive but really nice, favourite spot of all.

Vegas 5 days - Went nuts in the Bellagio then for a few days :)

Few things I'd say:
    1. Skip LA
    2. Make it to Santa Barbara and if you have time make it to Pacific Grove or towns beside it like Monterray.
    3. Drive the coast road, its incredible, drive through Big Sur, and over the bridge.
    4. Get a convertible if you can :)

• Advertisement

I don't get all the negativity about LA?! Some beautiful places, great food, lots of famous things to see and some of the craziest people you'll ever meet in your life.

On this trip I would like to capture LA, Las Vegas and San Fran over the two weeks and any where in between being a bonus. However it seems driving this route seems unrealistic even between two drivers so maybe I'll have to just go the internal flight method.

I'm not big into gambling so think two nights in Vegas would be plenty.

The Nal wrote: »
    Did a similar trip in the south. Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana etc. Again, longest single trip was 3 hours from Nashville to Memphis.

Can you tell me more about this route and how it worked out with the driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 overit2020

Did a similar trip in the south. Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana etc. Again, longest single trip was 3 hours from Nashville to Memphis. There really is nothing worse than being out the night before a big drive worrying about it, watching what you're drinking, conscious of how much sleep you need etc.

I'd be very interested in hearing more details about this trip.

Can you tell me more about this route and how it worked out with the driving?

Nashville to Memphis 3 hours. Then about 7 hours driving over the next 10 days. No longer than an hour each day really. Some days 20 minutes. Stopped in a few more places en route. Natchez and the like.

Capture.png

A very very different place to California though!

• Advertisement

Nashville to Memphis 3 hours. Then about 7 hours driving over the next 10 days. No longer than an hour each day really. Some days 20 minutes. Stopped in a few more places en route. Natchez and the like.

Capture.png

A very very different place to California though!

Sounds interesting though, Did you follow a route something like this?

https://www.gadventures.com/trips/dc-to-deep-south-music-eats-culture/NUDN/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

i echo the sentiments regarding your stay in LA, don't stay in downtown LA whatever you do, and be prepared to spend a lot of time in traffic,
    better off paying extra and staying in santa Barbara or somewhere similar

I did the drive from las vegas to san fran twice (via burning man near reno)
    not much to see along that stretch of road other than area 51 and a few very small old deadbeat towns, time could be better spent flying into one of the cities and exploring more. u can fly for cheap domestically there - have flown LV to SF for around 100 usd or so in the past

Sounds interesting though, Did you follow a route something like this?

https://www.gadventures.com/trips/dc-to-deep-south-music-eats-culture/NUDN/

Yeah but only from the Nasville part on. Those American driving holidays arequire far too much driving, which Americans are find with as its normal for them but for anyone else its a pain in the arse.

I met a couple in Memphis who had driven 7 hours from Dallas just to go for dinner and a few beers and then drive 7 hours home the next day. Like someone from Dingle driving to the Giants Causeway for a night.

Yeah but only from the Nasville part on. Those American driving holidays arequire far too much driving, which Americans are find with as its normal for them but for anyone else its a pain in the arse.

I met a couple in Memphis who had driven 7 hours from Dallas just to go for dinner and a few beers and then drive 7 hours home the next day. Like someone from Dingle driving to the Giants Causeway for a night.

Maybe DC for three nights, then fly to Atlanta and drive from their to Nashville, Memphis and Finish in New Orleans for three nights?

Or maybe something like this:

https://www.gadventures.com/trips/new-york-to-orlando-road-trip/NUEO/

but Start in Chicago and finish in New Orleans?

We went from San Francisco driving to LA, stopping along the way, then into Vegas
    3 nights in San Francisco I think, maybe 4.
    2 nights along the way
    2 nights LA
    Stopped between LA & Vegas
    4 nights Vegas

Drive down the coast is lovely, some nice places to stop. Monterey / Carmel are worth it.
    Drive from LA to Vegas very boring.......

LA is grand for a couple of days to have a look around, don't know why so much negativity about it.

And there's so much more in Vegas than gambling! I think we stayed 4 nights, could easily have stayed more.

Maybe DC for three nights, then fly to Atlanta and drive from their to Nashville, Memphis and Finish in New Orleans for three nights?

Or maybe something like this:

https://www.gadventures.com/trips/new-york-to-orlando-road-trip/NUEO/

but Start in Chicago and finish in New Orleans?

Depends on what cities you want to go to. Why do you want to go to DC? Or Atlanta?

On that trip, I flew into Chicago, then flew down to Dallas, then flew to Nashville and then drove the rest.

That link above. Christ. The people running those tours must be nuts. Who goes to New York for 1 day?

That must be 2500 miles driving in 14 days. No thanks.

bubblypop wrote: »
    We went from San Francisco driving to LA, stopping along the way, then into Vegas
    3 nights in San Francisco I think, maybe 4.
    2 nights along the way
    2 nights LA
    Stopped between LA & Vegas
    4 nights Vegas

Drive down the coast is lovely, some nice places to stop. Monterey / Carmel are worth it.

LA is grand for a couple of days to have a look around, don't know why so much negativity about it.

And there's so much more in Vegas than gambling! I think we stayed 4 nights, could easily have stayed more.

would you be able give a full breakdown of where you stopped? Maybe I could do this just fly from Vegas to LA for two nights then home?

Depends on what cities you want to go to. Why do you want to go to DC? Or Atlanta?

On that trip, I flew into Chicago, then flew down to Dallas, then flew to Nashville and then drove the rest.

That link above. Christ. The people running those tours must be nuts. Who goes to New York for 1 day?

That must be 2500 miles driving in 14 days. No thanks.

I suppose those holidays have driver organized so you can rest where they transport you and I think some would add on additional nights as the start and end of the trip for the big cities

would you be able give a full breakdown of where you stopped? Maybe I could do this just fly from Vegas to LA for two nights then home?

We travelled down the coast road.
    We stayed in Carmel for one night, then stayed some little nowhere place really, near Luis Obispo I think, the second.
    Into LA for 2 or 3 nights?
    We stayed in some small dessert town between LA & Vegas for a night. Had the best steaks ever! Can't remember the name of the place though. Very boring drive
    Then into Vegas & home from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I did that exact trip last year, but I flew between the destinations. LA to Vegas was a 40 minute flight and Vegas to San Fran was an hour or so. The flights were cheap as chips and the airports very straightforward to navigate, we were originally going to drive but we made better use of our time by opting to fly.

LA is absolutely huge and not somewhere you can explore on foot.
    Not much to do or see culturally, its all about the showbiz.
    We did a guided bus tour and were a bit disappointed to find most of the points of attraction were things like the hotel where Marilyn Monroe & JF Kennedy spent the night together, or the hotel where Whitney Houston died.
    Another stop was where some famous rapper got shot :confused:
    However the beaches are absolutely beautiful, if I was to go again I'd stay out by Santa Monica Pier/Venice Beach direction instead.
    We really enjoyed Universal Studios too.

Would you do 3 nights in Vegas and do the Grand Canyon as well? That was the highlight of the trip for us.
    I'm not much of a drinker and I've never gambled in my life, but Vegas was like nothing I've ever experienced and definitely my favourite of the 3 destinations.
    We actually spent one whole evening just going around visiting all the different hotels, which sounds boring but I swear so much effort and detail goes into their themes and design its not something to be missed!
    The Venetian in particularly is well worth a visit, its like a little Italy and even has an indoor river and gondola rides.
    I'm going back next year and we'll be going for a week next time, we loved it that much.

As for San Fran, we stayed in Union Square which was a massive mistake.
    They have a severe homeless issue there and it was absolutely filthy in and around the city center where our hotel was. I've been to most of the other major US cities but I've honestly never seen anything like it, it was so disappointing.
    Because of this, we spent the majority of our time out in Fishermans Wharf/Pier 39 area.
    Much cleaner with beautiful views and right by Alcatraz too. If we had more time we would have gone to Napa valley as well but it wasn't to be.

Our trip was 2 weeks long in total and including direct transatlantic flights, internal domestic flights and pretty decent accommodation (Vegas hotel in particular was absolutely amazing) it came to €1,800 each, which I think is very good value for what we got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Eireog1

We did Nashville to New Orleans in a day driving. It wasn't that bad and it didnt take 10 hours more like 8 including stops for lunch and Jack daniels tour. Parking is expensive in cities in the states we dropped the car back early in new Orleans as you dont need it as its very walkable city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Caranica wrote: »
    Would advise against staying in LA for that long, or at all. Parking is horrendously expensive and there really is very little to see. It's not a walk and and explore city.
    Well Santa Monica is in LA. But yeah, its so huge you need a car but walking down Venice Beach was great. And around Venice itself. Same for West Hollywood, night out on Sunset Boulevard, drive up Mulholland and the hills, walk of fame.... loads to do.

:confused: Going around LA on foot - or using public transport to get to some of the outlying regions - is a doddle, and a great way to see the real character of the city. I spent three days there wandering the streets on foot, from my base in a downtown hostel.

I'm not much of a drinker and I've never gambled in my life, but Vegas was like nothing I've ever experienced and definitely my favourite of the 3 destinations.
    Vegas wasn't on my original itinerary, but a change of circumstances put it there, and it ended up as one of the more memorable stops on a five-week trip. It's an utterly ridiculous place that doesn't take itself seriously and one of the few US cities (out of about twenty) that I'd bother going back to ... Not a patch on New Orleans, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I’m heading over this summer with the wife and kids

3 night SanFran .. then Yosemite .. Monterey .. Pismo Beach ... the a night in the Hollywood hills ... then San Diego .. then finishing off in Anaheim for a night .. we are taking about three weeks in total

I did that exact trip last year, but I flew between the destinations. LA to Vegas was a 40 minute flight and Vegas to San Fran was an hour or so. The flights were cheap as chips and the airports very straightforward to navigate, we were originally going to drive but we made better use of our time by opting to fly.

Not much to do or see culturally, its all about the showbiz.
    We did a guided bus tour and were a bit disappointed to find most of the points of attraction were things like the hotel where Marilyn Monroe & JF Kennedy spent the night together, or the hotel where Whitney Houston died.
    Another stop was where some famous rapper got shot :confused:
    However the beaches are absolutely beautiful, if I was to go again I'd stay out by Santa Monica Pier/Venice Beach direction instead.
    We really enjoyed Universal Studios too.

Would you do 3 nights in Vegas and do the Grand Canyon as well? That was the highlight of the trip for us.
    We actually spent one whole evening just going around visiting all the different hotels, which sounds boring but I swear so much effort and detail goes into their themes and design its not something to be missed!
    The Venetian in particularly is well worth a visit, its like a little Italy and even has an indoor river and gondola rides.
    I'm going back next year and we'll be going for a week next time, we loved it that much.

As for San Fran, we stayed in Union Square which was a massive mistake.
    They have a severe homeless issue there and it was absolutely filthy in and around the city center where our hotel was. I've been to most of the other major US cities but I've honestly never seen anything like it, it was so disappointing.
    Because of this, we spent the majority of our time out in Fishermans Wharf/Pier 39 area.
    Much cleaner with beautiful views and right by Alcatraz too. If we had more time we would have gone to Napa valley as well but it wasn't to be.

Our trip was 2 weeks long in total and including direct transatlantic flights, internal domestic flights and pretty decent accommodation (Vegas hotel in particular was absolutely amazing) it came to €1,800 each, which I think is very good value for what we got.

Thanks for all the info maybe flying is the best course of action to see these cities.

Would you be able to let me what hotels you stayed in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Thanks for all the info maybe flying is the best course of action to see these cities.

Or take the train - a much under-rated adventure! It's a great way to get a feel for the size (and monotony) of the continent without the hassle of driving. Not at all like anything you'll have experienced in Europe.

whippet wrote: »
    I’m heading over this summer with the wife and kids

3 night SanFran .. then Yosemite .. Monterey .. Pismo Beach ... the a night in the Hollywood hills ... then San Diego .. then finishing off in Anaheim for a night .. we are taking about three weeks in total

Pismo is great. Like something from the 1970s. Monterey fantastic aswell. Carmel literally a 5 minutes drive from Monterey. Stop in for a ramble. Maybe see Clint Eastwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Would you be able to let me what hotels you stayed in?

I'll PM you now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

bubblypop wrote: »

Only boring if you stick to Interstate! When we went from Vegas to LA, we took I15 to NV/CA border then went down through the Mojave and on to Joshua Tree before hitting LA - would do that drive again in a heartbeat. Plenty of interesting sights a long the way.

Vegas <-> San Fran has the option of going through Death Valley and Yosemite which is also an experience.

Mojave is free to enter but Death Valley and Yosemite cost money (even to pass through), as does Joshua Tree National Park if that's of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Only boring if you stick to Interstate! When we went from Vegas to LA, we took I15 to NV/CA border then went down through the Mojave and on to Joshua Tree before hitting LA - would do that drive again in a heartbeat. Plenty of interesting sights a long the way.

Vegas <-> San Fran has the option of going through Death Valley and Yosemite which is also an experience.

Mojave is free to enter but Death Valley and Yosemite cost money (even to pass through), as does Joshua Tree National Park if that's of interest.

I did Yosemite and Death Valley on the way from SF to Vegas absolutely fantastic places. Couple of quite long drives to be fair though but worth it.

Advertisement