Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Citizenship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

I just became a citizen of Canada, you only have to be there for 3 years in the last 5 years.
    You do have to sit a test on Canada and swear to the Queen. You get paper flags but the best thing about it is for the first year of citizenship you get free access to loads of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Really?.

20000 people per annum, immigrate into Ireland, without being a burden on social welfare or claiming any welfare or housing allowances, and then legally work and pay all taxes and social contributions and then become citizens?

Hey, if this is the way, why then do we have to pay more taxes every year, rather than less?

Your taxes are less FG didn't raise taxes during their term

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

alastair wrote: »
    Irish nationality - like Japanese nationality - has nothing to do with ethnicity. Ireland is not an ethno-State - and Irishness is not predicated on ethnicity.

OK, but should it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Geuze wrote: »
    OK, but should it be?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

There does exist an arrogant sort of nativist Irish person who'll never accept anybody outside (their) criteria as Irish unless they were born here to Irish parents, went to school here and have an Irish accent with rhoticity that could strip paint off the wall.

A while back there was some skanger at a 1916 commemoration that took umbridge at overhearing a young lady with an English accent talking in the vicinity. She turned out to be a descendant of the James Connolly he probably jerks off about. She had more right to be at the event than he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,040 ✭✭✭✭L1011

dd973 wrote: »
    There does exist an arrogant sort of nativist Irish person who'll never accept anybody outside (their) criteria as Irish unless they were born here to Irish parents, went to school here and have an Irish accent with rhoticity that could strip paint off the wall.

A while back there was some skanger at a 1916 commemoration that took umbridge at overhearing a young lady with an English accent talking in the vicinity. She turned out to be a descendant of the James Connolly he probably jerks off about. She had more right to be at the event than he did.

He might have found Connollys own accent quite jarring then!

TG4 did a series which actually had Connolly and Larkin portrayed with more appropriate accents which is something usually ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭This is it

I love these threads. OP makes a statement and are shown how wrong they are yet they ignore those posts and continue posting more inaccuracies, again to be proven wrong. Eventually they'll realise they're talking shyte and give up altogether.

At least until the next thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

No.

OK, so citizenship is different to ethnicity, ok.

So many people are acquiring citizenship, but they are not ethnically Irish, ok.

Is ethnically Irish = of Celtic descent?

Geuze wrote: »
    OK, so citizenship is different to ethnicity, ok.

So many people are acquiring citizenship, but they are not ethnically Irish, ok.

Is ethnically Irish = of Celtic descent?

Clearly not. There’s all sorts of ethnicities in the Irish ‘ethnicity’. Celts, Vikings, Anglo Saxons, Normans, etc, etc. It’s always been a hodge poge.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

The Irish are a nation and ethnic group native to the island of Ireland, who share a common Irish ancestry, identity and culture. Ireland has been inhabited for about 12,500 years according to archaeological studies.

The vast majority of those obtaining Irish citizenship are clearly not of Irish ethnicity. If I moved to China for five years, obtained Irish citizenship, would anyone here seriously consider me Chinese? Of course not.

Then why does the opposite hold through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Why does people coming here from other countries to start a new life upset so many people?

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    The Irish are a nation and ethnic group native to the island of Ireland, who share a common Irish ancestry, identity and culture. Ireland has been inhabited for about 12,500 years according to archaeological studies.

The vast majority of those obtaining Irish citizenship are clearly not of Irish ethnicity. If I moved to China for five years, obtained Irish citizenship, would anyone here seriously consider me Chinese? Of course not.

Then why does the opposite hold through?

If you attained Chinese nationality, then you’re a Chinese National. There’s a bunch of ethnicities within China in any case.

If you can’t accept Irish Nationals who don’t share your ethnicity, then maybe you should have a word with yourself? The issue isn’t with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Clearly not. There’s all sorts of ethnicities in the Irish ‘ethnicity’. Celts, Vikings, Anglo Saxons, Normans, etc, etc. It’s always been a hodge poge.

Of course there is a distinct Irish ethnic group, as there is French, Germany, Korean etc. ethnicity. Most nations would have that sort of migratory history over the centuries but it doesn't negate the fact that they are distinct ethnic groups.

Of course there is a distinct Irish ethnic group, as there is French, Germany, Korean etc. ethnicity. Most nations would have that sort of migratory history over the centuries but it doesn't negate the fact that they are distinct ethnic groups.

Irish ethnicity is no more ‘Celt’ than it is the rest of the influences that have been brought to bear over the history of this place though. And whatever ethnicities are brought to bear today will also contribute to the evolving Irish ethnicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Irish ethnicity is no more ‘Celt’ than it is the rest of the influences that have been brought to bear over the history of this place though. And whatever ethnicities are brought to bear today will also contribute to the evolving Irish ethnicity.

Well I never actually mention the word 'Celt' but the native language and distinct cultural practices of the Irish are mostly 'Celtic', or more accurately Gaelic in origin. That's not to say that the modern Irish people are heavily Anglicised but most would still be ethnically Irish nonetheless.

Well I never actually mention the word 'Celt' but the native language and distinct cultural practices of the Irish are mostly 'Celtic', or more accurately Gaelic in origin. That's not to say that the modern Irish people are heavily Anglicised but most would still be ethnically Irish nonetheless.

You didn’t but the previous poster did - which was who I was responding to - when you joined in the conversation. There’s plenty of Irish ethnicity which has nothing to do with Gaels as well. As I say - it’s a hodge podge.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Removalist

dan1895 wrote: »
    Why does people coming here from other countries to start a new life upset so many people?

There are too many now, I dont think anyone is against immigration but we are at almost 20% non nationals now in this country. How high would you like that percentage to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Removalist wrote: »
    There are too many now, I dont think anyone is against immigration but we are at almost 20% non nationals now in this country. How high would you like that percentage to go?

Surely them getting citizenship makes is a good thing then, they become Irish citizens and the number of non-nationals over time will decrease.

Every one of those 20,000 are no longer non nationals.

Too many according to who? You?
    There are too many Irish in Australia/Canada/USA, send them all back!

• Advertisement

Too many according to who? You?
    There are too many Irish in Australia/Canada/USA, send them all back!

That's fine by me. What percentage of immigrants would you be happy with in this country 30% ? 40% ?

Or is 20% just right ?

I wouldn't put a cap on it. If they fulfill the criteria so be it.

I wouldn't put a cap on it. If they fulfill the criteria so be it.

Fair play to for you for answering. I've asked many immigration loving cucks that question before and never got an answer.

Fair play to for you for answering. I've asked many immigration loving cucks that question before and never got an answer.

Why use that sort of language? You seem like a bitter little person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

It’s the kind of language that’s used as an insult but actually just falls flat and makes the user look like a fool.

It’s the kind of language that’s used as an insult but actually just falls flat and makes the user look like a fool.

Language, lol

Give me a break, pair of oulwans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

As long as:

1. Immigrants are gainfully employed here, and
    2. They're making a reasonable effort to learn English,

then there is sufficient commitment to integration, and TBF, most immigrants do generally meet both. As for the notion of a cap, during the recession there was net emigration, so economic cycles will dictate how attractive Ireland is as a destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm ok with no cap either. The criteria is the criteria.

I like the concept of immigration. That Irish people can emigrate and become citizens in other countries. And that people can come to Ireland. Life would be very boring if you could never live and work elsewhere and enjoy it so much you want to stay there for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Cucks? It is well established too many spoil the broth..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Bobblehats wrote: »
    t is well established too many spoil the broth..

Established in your mind? Or factually and statistically? Any supporting evidence for your statement?

Advertisement