Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Floorboards

• 02-03-2020 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭

After lifting some old carpet after a clear out, I've decided that the chipboard floorboards that are down are in a bad way and could do with replacing.

The boards that are currently down are 8x4's. Some seem handy enough to lift and replace with some new osb boards. My question is though, some of the boards go under the existing partition walls between rooms or the landing. Is it as simple as just cutting the existing boards to be able to lift or should I be doing something else. My plan is to replace with 8x2's because the stairs are too awkward for 8x4.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭chooseusername

markc1184 wrote: »
    After lifting some old carpet after a clear out, I've decided that the chipboard floorboards that are down are in a bad way and could do with replacing.

The boards that are currently down are 8x4's. Some seem handy enough to lift and replace with some new osb boards. My question is though, some of the boards go under the existing partition walls between rooms or the landing. Is it as simple as just cutting the existing boards to be able to lift or should I be doing something else. My plan is to replace with 8x2's because the stairs are too awkward for 8x4.
    I came across this issue a while back,
    I left the boards on which the stud walls were built but cut them at the first joist,
    luckily the joist was parallel to the wall and close enough,
    cut on centre of joist to support both boards.
    New boards were same thickness as existing, so didn't have to shim or build up.
    If joists run at right angles to stud wall , then you may need noggins to support boards

Advertisement