Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lane cameras south link

Options
  • 02-03-2020 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

I see 3 cameras facing the lanes on each side on the south link on one of the bridges by tocher/wilton direction

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I see 3 cameras facing the lanes on each side on the south link on one of the bridges by tocher/wilton direction

and???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Speed van 50 yrds from the petrol station at start of south link last friday,
    Its a 60km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

and???

Is it speed? Number plate, car counter?

Any insight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Is it speed? Number plate, car counter?

Any insight

They are traffic survey cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

They are on the little island bridge also, just placed there today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Could well be to do with the new gantries on the South Ring. CCTV to monitor number plates to work out travel times.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LeineGlas

I think kub is most likely correct that they are survey cameras.

Similar cameras are mounted on Maryborough Hill overlooking the N28 towards Bloomfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

Dbu wrote: »
    Speed van 50 yrds from the petrol station at start of south link last friday,
    Its a 60km

I saw it there before, and they are parked in the 60kph zone, but i think the start of the link is 50kph, so the camera is actually catching people in the 50kph zone as it changes into 60kph zone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

They are traffic survey cameras to assist in the planning of the Cork-Limerick motorway project

https://corksafetyalerts.com/news/n-m20-cork-limerick-notice-of-traffic-surveys/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Could well be to do with the new gantries on the South Ring. CCTV to monitor number plates to work out travel times.

I have noticed those new gantries spotted around as well, any idea what they are for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

murphym7 wrote: »
    I have noticed those new gantries spotted around as well, any idea what they are for?

The Gantries are part of the project involved in changing the N40 ( South Ring Road ) into a Motorway. There are also large poles being placed off the road for permanent CCTV cameras for same.
    The whole idea of the Gantries is to advise of accidents and increased travel times, changes in driving conditions etc.

Yup, they'll be like the gantries on the M50 which tell you travel times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Yup, they'll be like the gantries on the M50 which tell you travel times.

This project is a technologically redundant galactic waste of money just so that we can all pretend we’re in LA. Anyone who wants to know how long more to their destination can just ask their phone. Phones aside, many new cars themselves have voice activated navigation and route info. 4-5 years from now, that’ll be standard and we’ll be looking at those enormous signs and wondering what we were thinking.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

cantalach wrote: »
    This project is a technologically redundant galactic waste of money just so that we can all pretend we’re in LA. Anyone who wants to know how long more to their destination can just ask their phone. Phones aside, many new cars themselves have voice activated navigation and route info. 4-5 years from now, that’ll be standard and we’ll be looking at those enormous signs and wondering what we were thinking.

The primary objective of the signs is to alert drivers with up to date information on road works and road closures relating to the Dunkettle upgrade, and to incidents or issues on the N40 to improve reliability

When they are displaying travel times it’s effectively them being on standby

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

What’s the total cost of those signs. Would the money have been better spent elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

What’s the total cost of those signs. Would the money have been better spent elsewhere?

These are a dedicated body of work, part of CMATS, funded separately and standing as a body of work outside of the Dunkettle Interchange entirely.

TII allocations for the N40 ITS were as follows:
    €300,000 in 2018.
    €1,425,000 in 2019.
    €1,640,000 in 2020.
    Just my opinion which I've voiced plenty of times:
    This money should have been put into other transport projects. I think the N40 ITS is a waste of time until they provide a dedicated east-west corridor for vulnerable users, and god only knows what they're going to do with residual slow-movers such as agricultural machinery.

Also my opinion is that the N/M40 North and/or a total segregation of local users on the N/M40 South (like Maastricht A2) are needed: https://ec.europa.eu/inea/en/news-events/newsroom/works-progress-maastricht-urban-tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I need a new speed bump outside my estate

marno21 wrote: »
    The primary objective of the signs is to alert drivers with up to date information on road works and road closures relating to the Dunkettle upgrade[...]

Sorry but I don't believe that part of your reply is correct. It is a completely separate project with a lifespan going well beyond the construction phase of the Dunkettle Interchange.
    TII allocations for the N40 ITS were as follows:
    €300,000 in 2018.
    €1,425,000 in 2019.
    €1,640,000 in 2020.

I knew the system was expensive but I didn't realise just how expensive. That is an insane amount of money to spend on something that (a) will be completely technologically redundant in five years, if not sooner and (b) doesn't actually do much for us anyway.

Hmmm, that said I don't think they'll be redundant in 5 years. Having seen them around Dublin and on the M50 they are extremely useful, improve safety (accident ahead slow TF down) as well as giving you surety that the road is freeflowing ahead, as you get to recognise the correct travel times very quickly.

I want to point out that I'm not against the ITS in general and have seen them work extremely well (in Germany) but I think it's premature on the N/M40.

And I know those allocations look enormous, but for roads projects it actually is not huge. For reference the resurfacing of Merchant's Quay to the low road was €2,500,000 in 2018.

That ITS allocation towards some of the other CMATS projects would have potentially been very large though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

cantalach wrote:

.... you should not be on your phone Elle driving (before casting off yes, but that wont give you up to date info.).

Works well on the M8 (I saw a Met Eireann snow/hail warning on the gantry in Tipp and low and behold 5mins later there was a snow shower). Useful tool that forewarns most drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

no.8 wrote: »
    .... you should not be on your phone Elle driving (before casting off yes, but that wont give you up to date info.).

Works well on the M8 (I saw a Met Eireann snow/hail warning on the gantry in Tipp and low and behold 5mins later there was a snow shower). Useful tool that forewarns most drivers
    Voice commands using Google Assistant will give you up to date information tbf

I also fail to see how you were more prepared for the snow - either way you should be slowing when the snow hits i.e. when you see it - regardless of prior knowledge that it would hit or perhaps that's an overly simplified view

no.8 wrote: »

“Ok Google...what’s the traffic like between here and work?”

“Hey Siri...what’s the journey home look like?”

etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭mikeecho

“Ok Google...what’s the traffic like between here and work?”

“Hey Siri...what’s the journey home look like?”

etc.

Ok Google.. how many vehicles passed under the togher flyover.

Ok Google, how many of those cars traveled from the ballincollig by-pass.

Ok Google how many of those were hgvs

Hmmmm. No idea.

Hey Siri...

mikeecho wrote: »
    Ok Google.. how many vehicles passed under the togher flyover.

Ok Google, how many of those cars traveled from the ballincollig by-pass.

Ok Google how many of those were hgvs

Hmmmm. No idea.

Hey Siri...

Huh? If you want to just *collect* that type of data, you don't need to build permanent gantries costing millions. And I presume you're not suggesting it would be useful to display this to the 99.999% of the population who don't work in traffic management or road design.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Huh? If you want to just *collect* that type of data, you don't need to build permanent gantries costing millions. And I presume you're not suggesting it would be useful to display this to the 99.999% of the population who don't work in traffic management or road design.

That data is collected in order to plan for future road upgrades, it also gives data on what routes traffic is taking , average speed times etc etc

It's data that is used for the future planning of infrastructure.

Most of that data will never be shown to the 99.999% , but to the 0.001% who actually make decisions on infrastructure.

mikeecho wrote: »
    That data is collected in order to plan for future road upgrades, it also gives data on what routes traffic is taking , average speed times etc etc

It's data that is used for the future planning of infrastructure.

Most of that data will never be shown to the 99.999% , but to the 0.001% who actually make decisions on infrastructure.

I don't think that makes sense as a reason for the gantries.
    Temporary counters cost a tiny fraction and the infrastructure on the gantry needs to be maintained and upgraded over time.

Traffic management, yes. Infrastructure planning, no.

Advertisement