Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Housing Percentage

Options
  • 02-03-2020 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

What is the allocation of social housing for new builds? I could be wrong but I thought it was a percentage of the total amount of dwellings being built in one estate?

Reason I am asking is that there was a new estate built in my area with approx. 40 new houses - which all have been purchased by a housing agency.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

My understanding is that the 40% rule applies to the council. If Cluid or other tax-payer funded housing 'charities' build in the same estate those aren't counted. AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

AFAIK developers can offset the social housing requirements in, say, their Donnybrook development, by increasing the SH ratio in their Donaghmede development

• Administrators Posts: 53,810 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

AFAIK developers can offset the social housing requirements in, say, their Donnybrook development, by increasing the SH ratio in their Donaghmede development

Wasn’t this stopped a while ago?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

awec wrote: »

Yes- its not acceptable any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Didn't know that, but gratified to hear it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

awec wrote:

This still goes on. Councils get to buy their percentage of homes in the estate at market value. They can't afford to pay half a million or more on a house or an apartment in a shiny new middle class housing estate. They prefer for the builder to supply homes in other housing estates close by at a lower price.

There is a housing estate on the coast road in Raheny being built right now. 16 houses & 62 apartments, all overlooking the bay. Builder paid DCC over 700k in lieu of green space and paid another large sum in lieu of any social housing.

Another massive development planned in the area is over 600 homes beside St Anne's Park. Whilst I haven't read anything to do with social housing in this planning it's extremely doubtful that DCC can afford to buy any of these proposed homes at market value. It's much more likely that the builder will purchase homes in areas like Edenmore, Kilbarrack etc on behalf of DCC

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's a minimum %, not a maximum. There are plenty of new estates where the council is buying 100%

Recently I even heard of them buying an existing one, and private renters being evicted to facilitate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This still goes on. Councils get to buy their percentage of homes in the estate at market value. They can't afford to pay half a million or more on a house or an apartment in a shiny new middle class housing estate. They prefer for the builder to supply homes in other housing estates close by at a lower price.

There is a housing estate on the coast road in Raheny being built right now. 16 houses & 62 apartments, all overlooking the bay. Builder paid DCC over 700k in lieu of green space and paid another large sum in lieu of any social housing.

Another massive development planned in the area is over 600 homes beside St Anne's Park. Whilst I haven't read anything to do with social housing in this planning it's extremely doubtful that DCC can afford to buy any of these proposed homes at market value. It's much more likely that the builder will purchase homes in areas like Edenmore, Kilbarrack etc on behalf of DCC

Basically this.

Another trick developers have been using lately is to sneak it in in a second phase or offset from another development. Theres a development on green lane in leixlip where residents were promised there would only be a few social apartments in one part of the development, now it emerges that planning has been filed to scrap building a load of houses in the second phase and build a 4 storey apartment block instead.... with 10 1 bed units in it I doubt its for private sale.

Developers have been assuring buyers of new estates that the social element will be minimal or off to the side then ramming it in to planning after all the half million quid private units are sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I quite like Donaghmede. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I quite like Donaghmede.

I have my Friday afternoon pint in the Donaghmede Inn. Its not a bad area at all imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement