Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Pity Dublin will get nothing these next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    I almost feel annoyed with how poor today has performed. Not expecting anything here in the east as usual but I've got relations and friends in the midlands, some of whom are farmers and I told them about today's potential for thunderstorms and the chance of some very heavy rainfall at times if caught under the storms. They are still looking at brown grass, no rain and no thunder and they are kinda wondering what I was going on about!

What annoys me the most is when the charts show similar potential over England and wales you can be guaranteed it delivers and often exceeds expectations. I was really hoping that for once we could have a day similar to that over a large part of Ireland and it just hasn't happened. Perhaps last night's storm in the South-east completely warped what I was expecting on a wider scale today, but it is hard to hide the disappointment. Of course there is still time for somewhere to get something special over the next few hours, but the main potential was this afternoon and early evening.

I reckon the decrease in temperatures across much of the south, east and midlands from the early afternoon has played a part of decreasing the storm risk. From a rainfall perspective the majority of the country is bone dry today. There is still potential for tomorrow but you have to wonder will we even have showers tomorrow in the first place.

There will be showers around the next few days, maybe some isolated local downpours, and we can only hope they won't prove to be as poor as showing as today's lame efforts.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

10.4mm in just an hour at Finner, wow.

Still a lovely day further north in the county.

North Sligo and South Donegal are having a spectacular storm for the last 3 hours. Torrential rain and continuous lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Today was a very active day for Ireland. Not sure why people are saying it wasn't. It was always going to be a mostly west and northwest event today and that's exactly how it turned out, but with the southwest also putting in a shift. The east was never on for thunderstorms and was never forecast to be. I'm still hoping that the Welsh terrain can do us a favour and kick something up for us here but I'm not holding my breath.

And I'm glad someone finally mentioned the spelling elephant in the room. Not that it will do any good as people will still continue on with the e regardless.

If it doesn't affect Dublin it doesn't happen according to some "experts".
    We were up in Mullaghmore there and had some treat looking across the bay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Still a lovely day further north in the county.

Glorious all day in North Donegal.

What I wouldn't give for a good downpour later, new grass seed in a month ago.

Tomorrow must be looking good if Met Eireann are already issuing advisories for thunderstorms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Parameters there for some good thunderstorms tomorrow, getting nice and warm and very high Dp's should kick some storms off in the afternoon.

Skew T chart for near Abbeylara Co Longford at 14.00

6zK71mx.png

UHOPRn2.png

KJQ2FOB.png

c0dhhkT.png

No expert, only a learner. Thinking the area highlighted will have the best chance of seeing thunderstorms, could have some outside that area also.

QM8fgFn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

to show intensity of lightning here in waterford 5 shots stacked of the same place over a few mins. I haven't seen a lightning storm like that since the 80's in the midlands.
    50006326697_706d46616f_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

oh this is a new departure from met eireann,now including northern ireland in warnings,how interesting.

Northern Ireland Warnings

Yellow - Thunderstorm Warning for Armagh, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry
    UK Met Office Weather Warning (www.metoffice.gov.uk)

Thunderstorms expected to form over parts of Northern Ireland this afternoon

Valid: 13:00 Sunday 14/06/2020 to 21:00 Sunday 14/06/2020

Issued: 19:10 Sunday 14/06/2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Loads and loads of fork lightning south of Castlebar now. Wow. Fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

I've been hearing thunder almost constantly for the past five hours, sometimes nearer but mostly fairly distant, and it is still going on. Little did it do here in Westport, though I'm hopeful that we'll get a decent show at some stage sooner or later...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

oh this is a new departure from met eireann,now including northern ireland in warnings,how interesting.

Northern Ireland Warnings

Yellow - Thunderstorm Warning for Armagh, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry
    UK Met Office Weather Warning (www.metoffice.gov.uk)

Thunderstorms expected to form over parts of Northern Ireland this afternoon

Valid: 13:00 Sunday 14/06/2020 to 21:00 Sunday 14/06/2020

Issued: 19:10 Sunday 14/06/2020

Interesting... Is this coverage of NI going to be a permanent feature? Coordinated with Met UK?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Interesting... Is this coverage of NI going to be a permanent feature? Coordinated with Met UK?

Makes more sense, it was always annoying to see a blank space just left there. Hope we see more of this cross border cooperation !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Makes more sense, it was always annoying to see a blank space just left there. Hope we see more of this cross border cooperation !

It will be permanent fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

That Meteologix lightning map certainly caught the strike that tripped our RCD earlier based on my PC's UPS "On Battery" log matching up.

jZTJyTn.png

The strike was just over 6km from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Young lad just casually told me he seen 5 or 6 big flashes of lightning to the west of us (castlebar direction ) a while ago
    Pity he didn’t tell me when it was happening !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Nenagh co tipperary
    g4THLUn.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Similar CAPE values in similar areas tomorrow but shear will be higher than today, which should lead to more organised storms that last longer. Also, this could help bridge the gap across the Irish Sea and increase the chance of some Welsh-origin action here in the east.

Sounding for the around Athlone tomorrow afternoon. Hodograph shows a much better shear profile.

516403.png

1-8 km shear
    516404.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

m17 wrote: »
    Nenagh co tipperary
    g4THLUn.png

That was tweeted by Met Eireann yesterday

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1271873913035935744?s=19

• Advertisement

Seems to be a lot of lightning in and around Claremorris area the last few hours, yet, like here, little to nothing in terms of rainfall.. yet anyway.

New Moon

Its gone very dark here in Castlebar with lightning now easier to spot. Extremely humid now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It looks like yesterday, today and the coming few days will be talked about in Irish thunderstorm history for many the year.

Anyone on facebook type in The Strand Bar and have a look at the flooding in Strandhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of lightning in and around Claremorris area the last few hours, yet, like here, little to nothing in terms of rainfall.. yet anyway.

It has been the same in Castlebar, activity on and off since lunchtime and only one 5 minute spell of rain.

Its gone very dark here in Castlebar with lightning now easier to spot. Extremely humid now.
    I'm going for a walk out the country now, going to see if I can spot any of that lightning with the better open view.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I'm going for a walk out the country now, going to see if I can spot any of that lightning with the better open view.

Look out towards ballyheane.non stop light show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 23,755 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Disappointing today, never really started, hoping for better tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Disappointing today, never really started, hoping for better tomorrow.

The cooler conditions which arriving across many eastern, midland and southern areas in the early afternoon certainly didn't help the situation. Having said that the Castlebar and south Donegal region has had a decent evening of it but it's nowhere near the level of the Waterford/Wexford storm from last night.

Tomorrow should be better with warmer air persisting throughout the day across the country so the potential should improve. Galway, Mayo and Sligo and perhaps parts of Offally and Westmeath/Longford/Leitrim might see a bit more action tomorrow.

It would be great to see a Wexford/Waterford style storm over Galway City and Galway Bay tomorrow with lightning bolts reflecting off Galway bay, this was the sort of action I was expecting today.

Advertisement