Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Gonzo wrote: »
    The cooler conditions which arriving across many eastern, midland and southern areas in the early afternoon certainly didn't help the situation. Having said that the Castlebar and south Donegal region has had a decent evening of it but it's nowhere near the level of the Waterford/Wexford storm from last night.

Tomorrow should be better with warmer air persisting throughout the day across the country so the potential should improve. Galway, Mayo and Sligo and perhaps parts of Offally and Westmeath/Longford/Leitrim might see a bit more action tomorrow.

It would be great to see a Wexford/Waterford style storm over Galway City and Galway Bay tomorrow with lightning bolts reflecting off Galway bay, this was the sort of action I was expecting today.

Why do you consistently downplay every weather forecast and reported events? The storms in South Donegal are still ongoing and have been more than decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of lightning in and around Claremorris area the last few hours, yet, like here, little to nothing in terms of rainfall.. yet anyway.

I admitted defeat and went out and watered the plants and veg...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Storm 10 wrote: »

The poor animals, and the people out fishing should pay more attention to the forecast and just stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Disappointing today, never really started, hoping for better tomorrow.

Except for the multiple long lasting thunderstorms and reports from regulars saying today had some of the best storms they've seen in years...

I can guarantee if one of the shower trains over South Donegal or Mayo/Galway was over Dublin there narrative right now would be that today was one of the best days in years

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gamma Flash

Im only up the road on kk-tipp border and only saw 1 bolt, the rest were all in the clouds, disgusted, was lots though, now july 25-26th 1985 was in a campsite in youghal, whole night solid lightning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Why do you consistently downplay every weather forecast and reported events? The storms in South Donegal are still ongoing and have been more than decent.

I said Castlebar and south Donegal have had a decent evening of it, so i'm not sure what your on about. Tomorrow fingers crossed will see the storms on a more widespread level tomorrow in the north, west and hopefully parts of the midlands getting some action too. There are plenty of people in the midlands and west dissapointed with today.

The forecasts recently haven't been going great, many people are dissapointed with the rainfall forecasts in particular with rainfall very localized and many areas seeing very little rain. The models have been all over the place recently thus the frustration. It's been a very tricky guessing game over the past 2 weeks and this looks set to continue over the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Finally ! Heavy rain shower Westport area. No more thunder though.

Edit: 7,3 mm in less than 15 mins. !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Disappointing today, never really started, hoping for better tomorrow.
    Gonzo wrote: »
    The cooler conditions which arriving across many eastern, midland and southern areas in the early afternoon certainly didn't help the situation. Having said that the Castlebar and south Donegal region has had a decent evening of it but it's nowhere near the level of the Waterford/Wexford storm from last night.

Tomorrow should be better with warmer air persisting throughout the day across the country so the potential should improve. Galway, Mayo and Sligo and perhaps parts of Offally and Westmeath/Longford/Leitrim might see a bit more action tomorrow.

It would be great to see a Wexford/Waterford style storm over Galway City and Galway Bay tomorrow with lightning bolts reflecting off Galway bay, this was the sort of action I was expecting today.

I really don't get the negativity at all. For me it turned out pretty much exactly as expected. Exactly where do you think we live? By Ireland's standards today was very active across the areas expected, plus one or two more, and coupled with yesterday evening and overnight in the south the country has done exceptionally well. I'm in the east too and just as dissapointed not to have seen anything but I wasn't expecting any.

The past 24 hours' lightning (and remember that most strikes go undetected).

516413.png

It's been an active couple of days in the northeast Atlantic. Below shows the numbers only west of 10W, so doesn't include anything east of the far west coast of Connacht and Munster.

516414.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Storm 10 wrote: »

Also why it's so important to have a functioning radar for the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ah lads, now it's not a pi$$ing contest. Everybody knows that the best weather happens in Laois. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

used to love thunder storms until it hit the 2 houses next to us, earlier this year, even our house shook with the bang, it was way too close for comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I don't get people who are disappointed that we don't get more destructive weather. Its the same with the winter storms.

Sure let's have torrential floods and a few tornadoes just to heap misery on people. But sure what do I care when it's not in my back yard.

I'm sure some people suffered in the storms today but it probably didn't make the news.

Maybe these people who are disappointed today would want a few deaths in a more powerful thunderstorm just to be happy they got a big storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

irishgeo wrote: »
    I don't get people who are disappointed that we don't get more destructive weather. Its the same with the winter storms.

Sure let's have torrential floods and a few tornadoes just to heap misery on people. But sure what do I care when it's not in my back yard.

I'm sure some people suffered in the storms today but it probably didn't make the news.

Maybe these people who are disappointed today would want a few deaths in a more powerful thunderstorm just to be happy they got a big storm.

It doesn't matter whether you want or don't want destructive weather,nature will do what it wants and no amount of giving out on a weather forum is going to change that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

It doesn't matter whether you want or don't want destructive weather,nature will do what it wants and no amount of giving out on a weather forum is going to change that :)

exactly.

maybe we should look away and pretend its not happening,im off now to delete all my photos of the spectacular cloud scapes i took today,how dare nature treat us like this

for the love of christ,bed time,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

spookwoman wrote: »
    Also why it's so important to have a functioning radar for the area.

It wouldn't have saved the cows

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Except for the multiple long lasting thunderstorms and reports from regulars saying today had some of the best storms they've seen in years...

I can guarantee if one of the shower trains over South Donegal or Mayo/Galway was over Dublin there narrative right now would be that today was one of the best days in years

Family said that the thunderstorm in South Donegal today was epic. Lasted for 4 hours, torrential rain, hailstones and continuous lightning and massive rumbles of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Nobody wants to see anyone die or suffer injury due to storms and to make such a suggestion is downright nonsensical.

This is a weather forum for people who are interested in weather in all of it's manifestations and people have always been fascinated by nature, whether it be violent storms, earthquakes volcanoes or whatever.

No-one is disappointed when we don't get destructive weather, we're disappointed when we don't see the beauty of extreme weather, so rare in this country. Nature can show us lightning, tornadoes, earthquakes but it's not anyone's fault if these events sometimes cause death injury and widespread damage.

Your suggestion that people would want deaths is disingenious at the very least, and insulting to people who enjoy the more spectacular side of meteorology.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Im only up the road on kk-tipp border and only saw 1 bolt, the rest were all in the clouds, disgusted, was lots though, now july 25-26th 1985 was in a campsite in youghal, whole night solid lightning.

Remember that, it went on all day too. A lightening flash every 40 sec if I'm accurate. Very high humidity.

• Advertisement

So woke. Grab yourself a soy milk drink, and go tweet how you put those folk on the weather forum back in their box, keyboard warrior. :rolleyes:

Danno wrote: »
    So woke. Grab yourself a soy milk drink, and go tweet how you put those folk on the weather forum back in their box, keyboard warrior. :rolleyes:

can you speak English please, you no idea what your talking about.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There is nobody here who wants destruction from storms. Compared to most other countries we rarely get proper thunder storms, big snow storms or intense heatwaves.

When we hear about the possibility of thunderstorms we all get very excited because they are such a rare event. It's the same with snow and the same with heatwaves. They are exciting due to their rarity and a break from the normality of the Atlantic that we see far too often throughout the year. There is nobody here wanting loss of life or deaths from any weather event.

Comhra wrote: »
    Nobody wants to see anyone die or suffer injury due to storms and to make such a suggestion is downright nonsensical.

This is a weather forum for people who are interested in weather in all of it's manifestations and people have always been fascinated by nature, whether it be violent storms, earthquakes volcanoes or whatever.

No-one is disappointed when we don't get destructive weather, we're disappointed when we don't see the beauty of extreme weather, so rare in this country. Nature can show us lightning, tornadoes, earthquakes but it's not anyone's fault if these events sometimes cause death injury and widespread damage.

Your suggestion that people would want deaths is disingenious at the very least, and insulting to people who enjoy the more spectacular side of meteorology.

what's the difference between extreme and destructive weather?

516429.jpg

can you speak English please, you no idea what your talking about.
    Hands up you got me. :rolleyes:

Coming on to a weather enthusiasts forum and berating the contributors for commenting on the days natural weather events is akin to shouting at the moon.
    We merely comment on weather events here - and what might be to your surprise - we actually have fook all control over what it does (or doesn't). Sorry to break it to you this way champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It wouldn't have saved the cows

True, my uncle lost 8 cattle in the July 1985 thunderstorms.
    He was in the local village and hearing of others talking of the cattle they lost and thought he was ok, he went up the fields and found he had not been spared.

I think one person died in that storm and were in a farm building.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oh for god sake, everything has consequences and results, yet they occur anyway. People can enjoy the weather while feeling empathy to those negatively affected by it.

Irishgeo, very used to seeing your name in this forum lecturing people on this issue and trying to cause drama. If you've not understood the viewpoint yet after all the time you've been here, it's clear you're not going to now. What are you doing then? Trolling?

One is where the ar$e falls out of your world, the other is where the world falls out of your ar$e. Both are perfectly interchangeable of course, depending on your perspective. :D

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Oh for god sake, everything has consequences and results, yet they occur anyway. People can enjoy the weather while feeling empathy to those negatively affected by it.

Irishgeo, very used to seeing your name in this forum lecturing people on this issue and trying to cause drama. If you've not understood the viewpoint yet after all the time you've been here, it's clear you're not going to now. What are you doing then? Trolling?

im not trolling or lecturing people. i think i raised the point once before so you cant have being seeing my name all that much.

its not everyone on the weather forum just one or two posters.

anyway i dragged this off topic so ill leave it at that.

Advertisement