Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Started out clear and warm with fog / humidity rising off the land, could see it forming low level cloud, pockets of fog cloaked on the mountains could be seen lifting also. Big convection forming now over Tralee, I see on the Sat pics a lot of convection already in the SW, might get a shot of storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Dublin left out again today i see.. Nice one:mad: Although i have to go to the midlands with work so might be lucky.

dublin never had any chance of storms nor today,its not as bad as being in the thick of it and yet missing it all by miles,and then the following day being the only county along the atlantic left out of the thunder warning.

fupin pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Dublin left out again today i see.. Nice one:mad: Although i have to go to the midlands with work so might be lucky.

I still wouldn't rule it out today, but Dublin has a increased chance from tomorrow onwards.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Mayo omitted from the thunder warning - gas.

look foward to such a set up as yesterday sometime again in the next 10 or 20 years.hopefully i wont miss it all by 20 miles next time.

it was nice to experience that glupey warm continental style atmosphere for a day.

gosh i almost sound like gonzo.

The bridge at the bottom of my village in south mayo separates mayo from galway
    As we are on the mayo side I can only assume the bridge has taken on magical powers today to stop thunderstorms crossing over from county Galway
    :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just looking at the charts, nice area of convergence along the Kerry Coast, might get a bit of a repeat like yesterday, power up the convection inland carried to the coasts by the E'ly breeze, power up more when it meets the sea breeze convergence and boom. Will see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

km79 wrote: »
    The bridge at the bottom of my village in south mayo separates mayo from galway
    As we are on the mayo side I can only assume the bridge has taken on magical powers today to stop thunderstorms crossing over from county Galway
    :D

In scientific terms it's called the Sam Maguire Effect...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Oh now!

Status orange - Rainfall warning for Longford, Cavan, Leitrim and Roscommon

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Intense thundery downpours today, in excess of 50mm, will lead to surface flooding.

Valid: 12:00 Monday 15/06/2020 to 18:00 Monday 15/06/2020

Issued: 11:00 Monday 15/06/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Watching the clouds to the west of me here over the Wicklow mountains bubble up all morning, last time I saw anything like that was years ago in Germany, could well be sparks coming off those later this afternoon.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Exciting....orange warning Met Eireann....over 50mm potential. For some counties in North midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Yesterday's lightning archive from Met Eireann:

sferic_20200614.gif

Thats not a bad days action, and some people disappointed with it.
    Some big convection billowing up again today but closer than yesterday so maybe we'll hear some thunder at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Some very nice convection getting going in West Clare today, much easier to see than previous days too.

Massive bubbles of cloud popping up everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I still wouldn't rule it out today, but Dublin has a increased chance from tomorrow onwards.

Yeah someone said wed/thur could be a good day for action but is that not a bit far out again some say today might be a chance i guess it is hard to predict..

lolie wrote: »
    Thats not a bad days action, and some people disappointed with it.
    Some big convection billowing up again today but closer than yesterday so maybe we'll hear some thunder at least.

Well people in Dublin would be i guess and fair, if it was not for restrictions perhaps i would have ventured to an area with the action.

Harmonie forecast totals up to midnight. You can clearly see what the latest Met warning is based on:

xLtKDCN.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Can see the first showers popping up around cavan on the radar now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Yesterday's lightning archive from Met Eireann:

sferic_20200614.gif

Im saying it for years now .... if you hate a good thunderstorm come to west Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Am in north county Dublin and the convection to my west is unreal. Cauliflowers exploding and looking very ominous. A lively afternoon in store for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's more humid today than yesterday. Also the thundery looking clouds have developed a lot sooner today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Instability will be more widespread tomorrow as the flow becomes very slack. Showers that do develop should be short-lived but intense. More people with more of a chance of getting them tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ignition over north Midlands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Am in north county Dublin and the convection to my west is unreal. Cauliflowers exploding and looking very ominous. A lively afternoon in store for some.

Had some LOUD thunder on Cavan / Monaghan border yesterday. Looking over towards Enniskillen and hoping for more fun today...

516468.jpg

It's more humid today than yesterday. Also the thundery looking clouds have developed a lot sooner today.

Wind is picking up quite briskly here from the NW here, suggesting that a 'convergence zone' is developing somewhere well to the east beyond the Galway border.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Towering Cumulonimbus clouds developing here in a very warm Rathfarnham.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Few lightning strikes starting to show over south Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Why is Sligo not on these warnings. Strandhill was a lake yesterday and may be again today. Showers drifting west

Dublin now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Sea fog seems to be covering much of Mayo - perhaps this is why they're excluded from the warnings?

Temperatures already at 22c here, dewpoint is 12c. Some fairweather cloud about. Can see the Wicklow Mtns convection over to my ENE from here in South Laois...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Thunder here in Newbridge.. The sparks begin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Big crack of thunder in Kildare now

Advertisement