Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today is looking better, far more humidity and warmth around the country today so better chance of instability.

Thunderstorms are getting going already between Cavan and Sligo, much earlier than yesterday. Can see the makings of thunderstorms west of the Wicklow mountains too towards Naas and Kildare.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

latest charts are a definite upgrade for more widespread action today. Galway to Sligo and over to Cavan looks like the sweet spot.

nmmuk-6-11-0.png?15-10

Tomorrow looks like the south-east will get some action buts values are alot weaker than today.

nmmuk-6-27-0.png?15-11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Gonzo wrote: »
    latest charts are a definite upgrade for more widespread action today. Galway to Sligo and over to Cavan looks like the sweet spot.

.png?15-10

Tomorrow looks like the south-east will get some action buts values are alot weaker than today.

7-0.png?15-11

Thunder just started north of me from this, S cavan
    IMG-20200615-140243.jpg

Edit: looking and the radar and strike maps it's a cell a few mile north of this one that the thunder is from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Will Clare get a few claps ???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Right, eff this for a game of soldiers Dublin 15 here, I'm off to Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Booming thunder here in Kildare a good while now

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

pad199207 wrote: »

Dead quiet and sunny in North Kildare still....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

In the middle of a lighting/thunder show in South Leitrim.
    Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There is this strange wet stuff falling from the sky right now, a few rumbles of thunder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Towers building around Galway, hot and humid, can't wait to get out of work in 30 minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Heavy showers creeping every closer to the mayo border

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/1272521795833389060?s=20

Can hear faint booming from that storm.

Just touching 23°c in South Laois now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Status yellow - Thunder warning for Wicklow
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Scattered thunderstorms developing through the afternoon and evening with heavy downpours and a risk of localised flooding.

Valid: 14:00 Monday 15/06/2020 to 21:00 Monday 15/06/2020

Issued: 14:00 Monday 15/06/2020

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nice looking cloud scape from Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Xenji wrote: »

Scattered thunderstorms developing through the afternoon and evening with heavy downpours and a risk of localised flooding.

Commiserations to wex Ford Waterford Dublin and mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pad199207 wrote: »

Say thank you Wicklow mtns convection :)

South coast and Waterford look prime to me tomorrow including cork city

anyone reporting from Cavan?

That cell keeps growing over Cavan, looks quite significant at this stage, a big thunderstorm area stretching from Sligo all the way almost as far as the Monaghan/Cavan border and taking in much of Leitrim as well.

I would love to be there to experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Hot and sunny here but hearing rumbles coming from somewhere. That real 'gun shot' effect again. I have noticed throughout the years that that particular effect in thunder seems to happen more often in the late morning early afternoon than at other times.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Xenji wrote: »

Kind of expecting that for Wicklow given the building towers
    Not coastal, well inland, west anf6over the mountains
    Again feeding into kildare I'd expect

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The lightning feature on Met Eireann radar maps should have a disable function. As it remains behind as an imprint it means that it is often historical information overlying real time rain information, confusing matters, also the density of strikes can make it almost impossible to determine the rain intensity info which it overlays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Longing

That cell keeps growing over Cavan, looks quite significant at this stage, a big thunderstorm area stretching from Sligo all the way almost as far as the Monaghan/Cavan border and taking in much of Leitrim as well.

Just west of Cootehill. Cell approaching continuous claps of thunder. Wind has picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Hot and sunny here but hearing rumbles coming from somewhere. That real 'gun shot' effect again. I have noticed throughout the years that that particular effect in thunder seems to happen more often in the late morning early afternoon than at other times.

Something brewing to the Northeast of you, may just miss the town..

Thunder is constant here and quite explosive sounding. Whoever is getting that storm nearby must running for the hells. Sitting out the back in the hot sunshine listening to it.

New Moon

looking at the netweather radar some of those storms over Cavan have a rainfall rate of around 80mm - 90mm/hour, that's some serious rain.

Something brewing to the Northeast of you, may just miss the town..
    Can actually feels the deep bass booms in my chest. :D Sounds mad whoever is getting this storm.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Surge of heat here in South Laois - gone to 24°c in a very short space of time. Sky to my NE is black, clear to my SW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

It’s like Spain in Dundalk, full sun

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sigmet out for the area shown below. Tops of FL350 (35,000 ft / 11 km) are fairly rare for Cb in Ireland. Thunderstorms moving west at 20 knots and intensifying.
    EISN SIGMET 01 VALID 151345/151645 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR/UIR EMBD TS FCST WI N5425 W00810 - N5420 W00742 - N5405 W00640 - N5310 W00700 - N5350 W00920 - N5430 W00825 - N5426 W00809 - N5425 W00810 TOP FL350 MOV W 20KT INTSF=

516487.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

I'm in South Cavan on the Longford border so just missing out on these. Been hearing thunder all morning, just had a bout of heavy rain and had a mad dash for the washing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Thunder is constant here and quite explosive sounding. Whoever is getting that storm nearby must running for the hells. Sitting out the back in the hot sunshine listening to it.

i can hear it in Shrule!

Advertisement