Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

North Galway. Continuous low-level rumbles of Thunder for the past 15 minutes. No Lightning or rain yet, though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

23C now at Dunshaughlin, not expecting any storms here but really enjoying the sunny warm weather and cauliflower clouds. Feels more like 25C. This time yesterday the temperature had already dropped several degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Wouldn't like to be up around the cuilcagh mtns today, all these storms seem to be absolutely steamrolling through that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

serfboard wrote: »
    North Galway. Continuous low-level rumbles of Thunder for the past 15 minutes. No Lightning or rain yet, though.

Could you send it the Galway City PLEASE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It looks like its about to really kick off soon - the thunder is getting louder , and it's getting dark all over. The wind has picked up as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

km79 wrote: »
    i can hear it in Shrule!
    Must be heading towards there so. as just getting odd distant rumble now and still dry as a bone.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It looks like its about to really kick off soon - the thunder is getting louder , and it's getting dark all over. The wind has picked up as well.

Where

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

One or two light showers starting to kick off in the south west now too. Wonder if they'll develop into thunderstorms.

Very warm in West Clare in the sun. Light variable breeze with a north western tendancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Going by the radar there is a band of lightning activity running in a north facing arc almost the whole way from Tuam to Newry and growing by the minute. Very interesting stuff. Smaller storm down south Kildare direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

That Kildare storm is tracking West, not much showing in terms of lightning activity. All the same, it is getting quite dark here (West Laois) so we will see what the next hour brings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,755 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ugh, depressing for Dubs seeing the action to the north west.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Explosive convection over the Sheeffry mountains in SW Mayo. No sparks or even precipitation visible yet on radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

I can here faint rumles to my northwest and east now that seems to be getting a little louder.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,755 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Great day on Offaly Westmeath border, a few dark clouds around but blue sky overhead 24 degrees. Can't ask for more. Just doesn't look like our dice for thunderstorms this time around. It rarely is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hopefully we import some moisture from what it heading into the Irish Sea from Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭KildareP

This is torture!

I look out the front of the house and I can see the tops of the system right around from Drogheda to about Athlone I reckon but can neither see nor hear anything of interest.

I look out at the back of the house and I can see the very dark clouds of the system just south of Newbridge but again can see and hear nothing, although it seems far less active than the one further North.

Back in the office tomorrow so hoping the reports on here of Dublin being set to fare better tomorrow ring true!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

OldRio wrote: »
    In the middle of a lighting/thunder show in South Leitrim.
    Amazing stuff.

Well that was pretty intense. Heavy rain and plenty of Thunder and lightning. Lasted nearly 1 hour in total.
    We can still here rumbles in the background.
    Looking at the radar round two will be beginning shortly.
    Ballinamore area, Co. Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Alot off thunder and lightning near ballyhaunis.Alot better than yesturday for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Right, eff this for a game of soldiers Dublin 15 here, I'm off to Cavan.

Ok, made it to Cavan town, picking up a coffee and planning next move. Have encountered heavy rain showers but no storms. Seem to be moving off NW faster than I'll be able to keep up.

Any live updates from this area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

RobertKK wrote: »
    Hopefully we import some moisture from what it heading into the Irish Sea from Wales.

516498.jpg

Am watching this with interest. It seems to be coming from Anglesey direction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Could see that storm over Tuam from the Motorway flyover near Athenry, raging I couldn't stop to take some pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

eastmayo wrote: »
    Alot off thunder and lightning near ballyhaunis.Alot better than yesturday for us.

Just as well our national met service warned us.

Rolls eyes*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Ugh, depressing for Dubs seeing the action to the north west.

Don't encourage them Kermit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Don't encourage them Kermit :)

I left Dublin to chase it. Still haven't caught up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

West of Dublin from Terenure half an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Clouds building looking east towards the Kilkenny/Carlow border, may develop into something.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Thundery downpour now. Good to finally get some proper rain! There has not been much lightning so far. Which is strange considering Ballyhaunis is getting a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The sky has got quite congested over Laois. Raining to my north, but seems less intense than a half hour ago. No further thunder heard since before 2pm. Peaked at 24.1°c on the AWS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Heading for the kells oldcastle direction good view point there halfway between kells and oldcastle up on the mountain.

Advertisement