Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nothing for the South then. Ah well.
    I'll enjoy the pleasant day.

Another day, another overblown yellow warning for the midwest. Blue skies in all directions, except for faint cloudtops to the north/northeast. If drizzle was forecast it would be guaranteed to occur. Primary frustration that the ground is quite parched, and the hit or miss nature of thunderstorms compounds matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Can here distant rumbles in Galway, not sure which direction it's coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Could see that storm over Tuam from the Motorway flyover near Athenry, raging I couldn't stop to take some pictures

After the thunder stopped, it got very dark and thought this is it, some rain at last. Not a friggin' drop. Yet radar suggested it was pouring. Unbelievable.

Watching at a line of showers running SE to NW to my E/ NE at the moment, would say about 10 miles away approx. Defo a convergence line as wind is a very brisk westerly here at the mo, which will do nothing but ensure that none of them will reach here. :rolleyes:

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Great big white cloud tops of that storm away up at the galway roscommon border from athlone. Starting to get dark over athlone, hopefully we get a rumble or two. Kids have been waiting all weekend for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I left Dublin to chase it. Still haven't caught up...

Right Cavan town has let me down!

Heading for Longford via Mohill, that more recent Midlands cell is on a decent track there, fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Just as well our national met service warned us.

Rolls eyes*

Mayo finally added to yellow warning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Don't encourage them Kermit :)

We are in an arena of constant rumbling crackling thundering pouring here on NW. No pauses just constant thunder growls round and round in all directions. Interesting but also a little bit scary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Nothing for the South then. Ah well.
    I'll enjoy the pleasant day.

Think we have a better chance further South tomorrow judging by today’s forecast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Those showers to the east I mentioned really booming away now. Long dark rumbles while the sun splits the rocks here. 2nd day in a row of this happening. S'not fair.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Here in S Cavan, had been listening to the distant thunder all morning, about 2 hours ago we a brief downpour and thunder over head, the wind picked up and knocked over my parasol. It brightened up again but is now starting to kick off, coming from the north east.

I have never heard thunder that does not stop before just constant loudness for ages. Tiny bit freaky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The earlier SIGMET has been extended now to the area highlighted and has tops at FL370 (37,000 ft). Impressive for Ireland.
    EISN SIGMET 02 VALID 151430/151700 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR/UIR EMBD TS FCST WI N5400 W00645 - N5340 W00640 - N5310 W00850 - N5345 W00910 - N5425 W00825 - N5400 W00645 TOP FL370 MOV W 15KT INTSF=

516504.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Weather magnificent in Dublin all day. Out for a round of golf for the afternoon now.

Weather magnificent in Dublin all day. Out for a round of golf for the afternoon now.

No safer spot for it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Question from a thunderstorm newbie (not that I'm new to experiencing them mind!) - is the drumlin geography of north midlands an ingredient in the triggering of these thunderstorms, or is it just a coincidence that these are happening today around that area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

Mad thunder and lightning out back now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Poor Sligo airport shrouded in mist and low cloud and only 12 degrees.

SPECI EISG 151506Z 28010KT 3000 BR OVC002 12/12 Q1016=

Roaring non stop thunder continues and now monsoon level downpours. The ground will love this.

Right Cavan town has let me down!

Heading for Longford via Mohill, that more recent Midlands cell is on a decent track there, fingers crossed!

Change of plan, going to head SSW, Edgeworthstown via Granard, better road, track looks good.

I feel like Bill Paxton. Only with no mates or gear or trucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Thunderstorm or cell if thats the proper term now starting to move over South Cavan. Now some rumble or crackle nearly constantly going. Few flash's but no visible strikes yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Lovely rumbles of thunder in North East Galway! No sign of sparks tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

BIG clap of thunder in Galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭monster1

Very loud rattle now in Galway city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I like this whole southward trend to these showers. Hopefully we'll get some in West Clare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Change of plan, going to head SSW, Edgeworthstown via Granard, better road, track looks good.

I feel like Bill Paxton. Only with no mates or gear or trucks.

I'm on your route, you be driving through it at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The high left overs from Angelsey drifting over north Dublin atm.

Beautiful day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

The mayo border does appear to be holding firm
    Bizarre !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Rumbles in Athenry, brief splattering of rain. Can't get a decent picture with the row of houses in front of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭monster1

Very loud rattle now in Galway city

https://imgur.com/a/2uqqKvD

Advertisement