Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

the mist coming off the irish sea at the moment is eerie on the louth coast at the moment. A beautiful muggy day has now decended in to a muggy misty evening

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Funny I'm in Galway City not far from you and I'm hearing loud thunder but the sky over me is cloudless and blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Aaaand just like that it stopped but two new cells, one granard direction and one to my southeast have kicked off, almost constant rumbling from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wolftown

Some beefy formations coming over the Wicklow mountains now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

crash bang wallop! house hit just 10 minutes ago gonna check phone line soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭lucalux

Plenty of rumbles audible where I am in South Roscommon, coming from the SW of here so looking towards Ballinasloe or Athenry direction.
    No sign of lightning yet though, a few drops of rain, but seems to be skirting around us here, moving SW to SE

One lightning strike on blitzortung registered nearby but that's a while ago now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

About 50 minutes without ceasing, one roar rumbles into the next. Huge Claps. Lightning. Downpouring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Latest satellite shows cloudtops as high as 10.8 km in the northwest but activity has reached a peak.

516514.PNG

516513.png

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Funny I'm in Galway City not far from you and I'm hearing loud thunder but the sky over me is cloudless and blue.

I'm out near doughiska, lashing rain now. Thunder still rolling. Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LongfordSligo

Longford Town was blasted with Hail and torrential rain 1 hour ago..looks like we are about to start round 2⚡️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

monster1 wrote: »
    I'm out near doughiska, lashing rain now. Thunder still rolling. Love it

i was loving it till direct hit on house wud knock de crap out of ye

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Downpour Summer 2020 style here. A drop of rain hit the back of my neck; another on the back of my left hand, while a cheeky little one landed on my cigarette. Thought I seen another one on my shoe but could be seeing things.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Friend tormenting me with sound clips from Galway city storm. Wind has picked up a good bit here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo all the county has descended into cold fog. 12 to 13c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Looking west from D6.... jealous I’m not under it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I have no idea why they had a warning for south western counties. Are thunderstorms notoriously difficult to forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Buckets of rain over athlone and one solitary rumble of thunder which I missed as I was inside with my kids, so they missed it too

That line of storms from galway to meath really popped out of nowhere. In fact, meath seems to be feeding storms in two directions NW and SW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

I have no idea why they had a warning for south western counties. Are thunderstorms notoriously difficult to forecast?

Looks like some cells developing across mid Kerry and mid Clare now according to the met eireann rainfall radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Thunderstorm East of Oranmore, good few strikes and rumbles. Nothing too loud as yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Change of plan, going to head SSW, Edgeworthstown via Granard, better road, track looks good.

I feel like Bill Paxton. Only with no mates or gear or trucks.

Right, my luck is in. Made it to Edgeworthstown via a torrent on the Granard road.

Parked up looking east to the cell heading west from Mullingar direction. Constant rolling thunder and fork lightning in it. Going to sit through it here and see what i can capture!

I feel for larbre. He drove too far. Should have stayed near the meath, cavan, westmeath border

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Low rumble over Durrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

Galway ciyy. Still a few rumbles but oh boy,the rain! Its lashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Rikand wrote: »
    I feel for larbre. He drove too far. Should have stayed near the meath, cavan, westmeath border

Its a gamble of course, but whats just arriving over me here now is every bit as strong a signature on the radar etc as that location.

I have no gear of course, but I'm in an 80-100mm/hr torrent with overhead fork lightning and instant thunder audible.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

More impressive cloud formation, glorious day in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Current system over castle Pollard/Westmeath, Meath area

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Current system over castle Pollard/Westmeath, Meath area

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a train of thunderstorms now from Galway to Kells, parts of the midlands doing very well and some much needed rain there too.

Northern Ireland is lighting up now too with most of Fermanagh covered in thunderstorms. Enniskillen would be a good place to be right now.

Plenty of showers over north Wales too, but i'm not sure they will do much for us as they appear to be dying over the Irish sea.

Still very sunny here in Meath and very warm. Can see the high cloud tops to my far north-west and to the far south. Unbroken sunshine between the the thunderstorm alleys.

Thunderstorms now forming over Monaghan and parts of Cavan again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

It's starting to feel humid...Really humid in Celbridge now.

Very hot too, reckon 23 degrees and sunny. Looks overcast towards the Wicklow/Newcastle direction but I can't see any thunderstorms hitting us.

Advertisement