Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

There is almost a circle of thunderstorm activity all around me !
    None here
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Nearly constant rumbling in Galway the storm looks like it's circling around the City some great forks and blasts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Has become notably windy here now, this time from the north, bringing some much needed drying.

New Moon

North Leitrim

Thunder is getting louder and first flash of lightning. Long rumbles of thunder.

I love this weather. Bring on the rain and I’ll dance in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Had to go for a drive to get a good spot, will upload some pictures and hopefully videos after a while. Lots of rumbling but only spotted 2 strikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

A fantastic round of storms for the north midlands today. A really good effort.

Now all Met Eireann need to do now is issue the appropriate Red Level Warnings for the thunderstorms that will affect the east tomorrow :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Stopped off in Corofin in the Burren Co Clare and there's a distant rumble for the last 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    Current system over castle Pollard/Westmeath, Meath area

That was the best storm I've seen in a few years.
    I'll try get a screenshot from a video, some big flashes but i had 2 take 2 quick phonecalls and didn't get recording probably the 2 best flashes.
    All silent now.
    Nice cloud on the back edge.
    IMG-20200615-174557.jpg

getting closer to the lowlands of the Burren...not far from Fr Ted's house

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Kildare Storm today

7785-EE63-68-C5-48-F7-B3-C0-4-F7179-FC9-A7-E.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

nthclare wrote: »

Feck off 🀣🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

nthclare wrote: »
    I hope they've taken the roads in :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Raining In Sligo 12c

No thunder

Just a Decemberesque evening with fog and rain

No light show today

So, if I were to summarise the historical distribution of thunderstorms in Ireland with a 3-letter acronym, it would be ABD (anywhere but Dublin). I can't take the meteorological boredom :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pyjamaninja27

Great thunderstorm here in Ennis. Plenty of activity, not moving anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I'm 3 miles south of athenry and I just had an almighty amount of rain in the past hour. I estimated 25-30mm from looking in plant trays that were dry.
    But I can see that athenry weather station barely got anything at 0.8mm!
    So it was very localised.

Best thunder I've ever experienced is in France near the Pyraneese, it was like something out of a horror movie Ted..

All rumble here no flash Z

z

z

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Galway and Clare getting quite a bit of action now. Storm over Monaghan is growing as well. 2 storms over Kerry too.

ECM06z run, not to be taken at face value but gives a good idea where the bulk of tomorrow's activity will be focused.

rJymu82.png

Will post updated chart when it rolls out later.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Another day in Offaly North without rain, showers skirting by but nothing recorded. Tomorrow promises activity around here but after the last two days of nothing in terms of storms, I have my doubts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Pretty severe looking thunderstorms now in East Clare. Cloud building here in west Clare.

This current spell of thundery weather reminds me a little of that of early june 2014, shortlived but intense thundery showers for a number of days, but locally speaking at least, this one still isn't a patch on that spell. At least back then, we actually got some rain with the showers. :o

New Moon

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Pretty severe looking thunderstorms now in East Clare. Cloud building here in west Clare.

Can see the heads from here. Impressive looking.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It’s been a beautiful day in Dublin 5. Clear skies, sunny and warm all day

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Shower to my north east here in Kilkenny, looks to be in Carlow/Laois border area producing thunder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

RobertKK wrote: »
    Shower to my north east here in Kilkenny, looks to be in Carlow/Laois border area producing thunder.

It's gone cloudy here near Kilmanagh and it's been stifling hot all day

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

In fairness to met they got it fairly spot on today ?

So, if I were to summarise the historical distribution of thunderstorms in Ireland with a 3-letter acronym, it would be ABD (anywhere but Dublin). I can't take the meteorological boredom :(
    Ha, RTE news forecast just threw me a bone in the form of a lightning icon over Dublin for tomorrow...remains to be seen...rolleyes.png

I've been made eat my words and then some. Ennis is experiencing an astonishing storm for the ages, I've never witnessed a more spectacular lightning display nor one of sheer frequency. On numerous occasions there are several flashes occurring within a second. Privileged to watch such fireworks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Three showers in the vicinity, two of them active - Urlingford and The Swan village in S.Laois.

Advertisement