Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A storm developed just to the west of Dunshaughlin, I watched it build over the past hour and as it moved away into the horizon I could hear very faint rumbles, of course if this was night i'd see some lightning from a distance. That storm is now near Kinnegad heading towards Mullingar.

Still very warm and sunny here, after an hour of gardening the warmth and humidity just got too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Between Bunratty and Ennis now. Black clouds in front of me and flashing in the distance. Rain just started..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I have a funny feeling shannon radar will go down again soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ballinakill in Laois and areas east of there are getting a bit of thunder.

Cell near Portlaoise looks like it might kick off too!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

The Siege of Ennis!

• Advertisement

Ooof, look at the Ennis storm on satellite. Impressive!

eVZOgwM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gonzo wrote: »
    A storm developed just to the west of Dunshaughlin, I watched it build over the past hour and as it moved away into the horizon I could hear very faint rumbles, of course if this was night i'd see some lightning from a distance. That storm is now near Kinnegad heading towards Mullingar.

Still very warm and sunny here, after an hour of gardening the warmth and humidity just got too much.

I'm stopped in Enfield services, eastbound, having a cuppa on the way home from my cavan/Longford chasing.

Great view of the cell that popped up in the Trim area passing to my NW. Its a good 8-10 km from me but the sheets of rain and lightning within are visible, along with a wannabe rotating cloud along the southwest edge.

Sorry to have missed the direct hit but a good day all in all. Will edit my Longford footage later and post a few clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A lot of the lightning looks to be cloud level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

RobertKK wrote: »

A lot of cloud level lightning doesn't get picked up by those sferic recordings, so what we see on the lightning maps is only half (if that at all) the story.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Shower to my north east here in Kilkenny, looks to be in Carlow/Laois border area producing thunder.

There's a very dark cloud to the west of Carlow town, looks to be in Laois. Havent heard anything from it but wondering if it's the same one. Definitely looks thundery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm stopped in Enfield services, eastbound, having a cuppa on the way home from my cavan/Longford chasing.

Great view of the cell that popped up in the Trim area passing to my NW. Its a good 8-10 km from me but the sheets of rain and lightning within are visible, along with a wannabe rotating cloud along the southwest edge.

Sorry to have missed the direct hit but a good day all in all. Will edit my Longford footage later and post a few clips.

the cell was near but nothing here near Trim. I did see a flash off in the distance though......

The cell over Ballinakill in Laois seems to have stopped firing. Just light rain here from it now.

Rougies wrote: »
    Ooof, look at the Ennis storm on satellite. Impressive!

eVZOgwM.png

It's every bit as intense as you can imagine. Far and away the most extreme weather event I've encountered. Lightning slashing the sky, rolling thunder uninterrupted for an hour, and a violent downpour that flooded the garden several inches deep within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There's a very dark cloud to the west of Carlow town, looks to be in Laois. Havent heard anything from it but wondering if it's the same one. Definitely looks thundery!

That is the one.

Cell near Abbeyleix has shot to life! Gunshot ripping across the sky!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Can see the the shear effect show up well on the Sat Pic. Very quickly after clouding up here near the coast outside Tralee, Temp dropped from 20.3C to 16.4C with Rh 82%, Dp 13C. Westerly breeze here in off the Sea, the storm moving down from Clare in a NE'ly direction looks to be crossing the Shannon, how far will it travel, will the sea breeze power it up ??

MW3FuEe.gif

olqwbUp.png

ABHNcaY.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Danno wrote: »
    Cell near Abbeyleix has shot to life! Gunshot ripping across the sky!

Was outside looking up and got to see it fork across the sky...I'm deaf now:D

dexter647 wrote: »
    Was outside looking up and got to see it fork across the sky...I'm deaf now:D

Think it was nearer to Ballacolla.

Another loud crack and big flash!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Probably just not enough of an off shore element to the wind through the various layers of the atmosphere tomorrow to bring Dublin in to play.

Still have my fingers crossed though for something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Looks like nothing in the way for thunderstorms for Dublin tomorrow. At least it will be sunny and warm.

Danno wrote: »
    Another loud crack and big flash!
    Doing the old 'lighter' trick again are we? :P

New Moon

Probably just not enough of an off shore element to the wind through the various layers of the atmosphere tomorrow to bring Dublin in to play.

Still have my fingers crossed though for something.

If the storms tomorrow are strong enough they just might push through that onshore breeze during peak time.

New Moon

the storm moving down from Clare in a NE'ly direction looks to be crossing the Shannon, how far will it travel, will the sea breeze power it up ??

Looks to be pepping up again after a bit of a lull.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It'll miss me in West Clare by the looks of it. Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Yeah nearly all i seen in the last storm was intracloud but i seen one nice cloud to ground that matches up with the power outage outside Oldcastle on the Powercheck app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Few from Galway today, need to trawl some video for possible strikes.

This chart is from the 09z run of the 'Icon Flash' model this morning for 9pm this evening. Of all of the models I looked at, this certainly was the most accurate in forecasting there potential thundery weather would occur (pink = thunderstorm)

mGcSm69.png

New Moon

AWS reports 2.0mm and the moderate rain has stopped. Cool now, 15.7°c. No thunder for the last fifteen minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This chart is from the 09z run of the 'Icon Flash' model this morning for 9pm this evening. Of all of the models I looked at, this certainly was the most accurate in forecasting there potential thundery weather would occur (pink = thunderstorm)

Yeah, good model, very useful and its going for a big day again tomorrow .

Advertisement