Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

And just to add to the above post, but I think the 'Harmonie' is just a terrible model when it comes to set ups like this. So high res that it becomes totally pointless. Pin pointing showers that rarely occur in the places they are forecast to occur.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

https://youtu.be/XZk-BaGN5VE

Carrigkerry in West Limerick at about 20:20...A huge cell came from Ennis via Shannon, transited the Shannon Estuary and hit us directly in Carrigkerry, West Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Massive raindrops in Rathcoole

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The_Outsider

It's every bit as intense as you can imagine. Far and away the most extreme weather event I've encountered. Lightning slashing the sky, rolling thunder uninterrupted for an hour, and a violent downpour that flooded the garden several inches deep within minutes.

Agreed - best thunderstorm I can remember ever around here. Majority of it stayed to the SE of me so I had a side profile view. Non stop lightning and just rolling thunder that went on and on. Got a vid or two of some forks, and caught this little shelf cloud heading towards me. This is what gave me the closest lightning and ultimately torrential rain (rain was quite light for the rest of the event - being on the edge of it). You can just about make out Mullaghmore in the middle there. the View is ENE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Kencollins wrote: »

Carrigkerry in West Limerick at about 20:20...A huge cell came from Ennis via Shannon, transited the Shannon Estuary and hit us directly in Carrigkerry, West Limerick.

Brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Why didn't you keep recording? :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pad199207 wrote: »
    Massive raindrops in Rathcoole

Looks like a little cell has popped up in west Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

dmc17 wrote: »

Probably needed to change their pants :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

He missed an epic blast from that fork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I heard that near listowel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Looks like some heading in from Wales towards Waterford and cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Getting dark all of a sudden dn20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very jealous.

Nothing in west Clare except moderate rain, nothing yesterday except distant thunder (was lightning in area, I didn't see any of it!) and today was just spent teetering at the edge of a thunderstorm. Probably could have heard some thunder from it, if a tractor hadn't arrived to cut the grass in a nearby field.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Exactly. Leaves you wanting more, or at least the clap of thunder afterwards.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big storms likely again tomorrow . Skew T chart for near Mitchelstown tomorrow at 13.00

CAPE 1548 J/Kg Li -5, Dp 15C , Heavy localized rainfall

Would seem shear is not great so relying on convergence, high Dp and good temperatures initially

SJ2PyQ9.png

QY83LEN.png

XqtgD4V.png

GtzfOwZ.png

e7DUhLL.png

wRCYWI7.png

63ZBu3j.png

I reckon Thunderstorms could occur in the green area and the most possibly in the Orange area peaking in the afternoon/ early evening

udUnFP6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Downpour still going in Citywest was not expecting this!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Exactly. Leaves you wanting more, or at least the clap of thunder afterwards.

I know, I panicked with all the kids screaming! The blast was really cool, more like a gun than a rumble

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very dark skies now to my south-east.

latest model has the thunderstorm risk heading back into Leinster over the next 2 to 3 hours, possibility of some storms for the midlands, Meath, Kildare and west Dublin, now let's see does anything come of this.

nmmuk-6-8-0.png?15-16

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cloudy but feels humid and very warm in Cortk city. Its about 19 degrees still.

Big drop, down to 15 degrees suddenly

Dublin 20 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Some nice rumbles off to the west of me here in north Cork. Looking forward to a light show soon :)

Naas atm

If it was anywhere else in the country it would spark

6-DF50713-12-B3-466-A-ACA3-01-BE0-FE5-F0-E2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Very dark clouds over Terenure D6 now and its very very humid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Rumblings here in South Tipp now, also a few flashes of lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Seems to be bypassing us here in macroom hopefully we will see some tomorrow

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

They're really pushing South quite quickly...

What that all about

jimmynokia wrote: »
    What that all about

Where’s that?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Heavy rain and an angry looking sky in west Dublin but no sparks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pad199207 wrote: »
    Naas atm