Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

With skies clearing here i could see the high cloud tops of the storm that passed over Armagh an hour ago.
    IMG-20200615-204441.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Very heavy downpours in Clondalkin but no rumbles. Road is flooded.

516562.png
    North cork

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Very heavy downpours in Clondalkin but no rumbles. Road is flooded.

Nothing in Rathfarnham yet. Very dark sky’s though, absolutely amazing sunset framed by angry looking clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

pad199207 wrote: »
    Where’s that?

Was at liffey Valley pointing towards Lucan direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

That cell over Tallaght/Clondalkin looks pretty great from my angle (close to James’s Hospital).

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Kencollins wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/XZk-BaGN5VE

Carrigkerry in West Limerick at about 20:20...A huge cell came from Ennis via Shannon, transited the Shannon Estuary and hit us directly in Carrigkerry, West Limerick.

Yes was watching that cell from a field near Dromcollogher it looked very impressive. I said to a person with me Ardagh and Carrigkerry must be right in the firing line.
    I was dead on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Spectacular show of thunder and lighting in tipp again this evening and nearly half an inch of rain has fallen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Unfortunately that shower just to west of Dublin hasn't really kicked off in any way, although it did lead to some very dramatic looking skies.

SAT_1_202006152000_407.jpg

The thunderstorm from Clare is well visible on the European map, I would have loved to have experienced it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Track of the heavy rainfall today, and record of sferics detected so far since 10.00( these would be just a fraction of the real amount of electrical discharges )

op71Xnh.gif

EHCYsbv.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

All fizzled out...
    Here's hoping for epic storms tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

Gonzo wrote: »
    Unfortunately that shower just to west of Dublin hasn't really kicked off in any way, although it did lead to some very dramatic looking skies.

SAT_1_202006152000_407.jpg

The thunderstorm from Clare is well visible on the European map, I would have loved to have experienced it!

It was horrendous but much needed rain did fall which will please the farmers in the Banner county. Between half six and close to 8 o clock I counted over 20 flashes of lightening.

In Ennis where I live the rain was not the main story at all. I’d say around 15 mm did fall. But the lightening was the main feature. Jeez it was the most spectacular spectacle that I’ve ever witnessed in all my life time here in Clare’s county town. It was so glazing and not even the Sydney opera house new year firework celebrations would come close to that hour and a half period that will live long in my memory.

Don’t know about the story regarding power outrages here but certainly a significant weather event did take place here in Clare if the both the satellite and rainfall and lightening radars are to be believed.

On a separate note I really continue to enjoy this thread. Certainly one of or if not the best threads on boards. Keep up the great work. In particular the knowledge of some posters is most impressive. Brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

A friend captured this the other night from near Kilmallock, south Limerick -

[IMG][/img]Ry0wsjq.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A closer look at todays detected sferics by the Met Office.

NetWeather

h3FVs3J.png?1

1UBPOr7.png

jHU8dT7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

We'll see how well this model performs for tomorrow (hasn't updated to 18z yet)

XlJ6Bh9.png

Reporters to look out for tomorrow:

Gonzo
    Su Campu
    Danny O
    Rougies
    Clonmel
    De Frog
    Highdef
    JamesNokia
    Pad lots of numbers
    Rikand
    and countless others who live under that pink zone.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

anyone know if dublin will see any action tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Inland Leinster finally gets it day tomorrow. Moderate southeasterly upper flow over slack lower flow generates around 20 knots of shear, slightly less than today. Good lapse rates generating decent CAPE, though not as high as some parts of the west over the past few days.

A strong sea breeze convergence line sets up, so with the Wicklow mountains we should see some real towers shooting up from late morning. Weak steering flow means slow-moving showers and surface water. Still hit and miss, so some places will escape while others get repeated coverage.

516572.png

516573.png

516574.png

516575.png

516576.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If someone in the east gets rain tomorrow, could they capture a quick video of it and post it on here? I just want remember what it looks like.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Currently pouring in Cork City - no thunder and lightening action yet though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

Almost surprised there wasn’t lightening accompanying that shower in Cork City. Extremely heavy.

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Currently pouring in Cork City - no thunder and lightening action yet though

I'm hoping for Wednesday.
    All the sparky action seems to be more inland.

Teeming now though, badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Pic of the day

Credit: Audrey Murray

18391178-BBE1-4950-992-B-FFD244-FAA4-B5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Hopefully tomorrow yeilds good results for Dublin but I'm going to travel again tomorrow afternoon..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Absolutely. And I was expecting some rain today but I went for a walk at half eight in a tshirt and it was glorious. But yeah I'm not against a drop of rain.

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Tomorrow looks hopeful from the met eireann radar

Tomorrow looks hopeful from the met eireann radar

Oh I hope so. It seems like the potential seems to be too inland for the city? If I could drive, I'd go storm chasing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lashing rain now in cork city wow this is heavy

Lashing rain now in cork city wow this is heavy

Not raining now? You must be in a different part of the city than me :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not raining now? You must be in a different part of the city than me :-D

Just started here! Near bishopstown :)

• Advertisement

Just started here! Near bishopstown :)

I’m the northside so obviously moving west :-)

Advertisement