Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Well that's a weird sort of day.
    Thunder and lightning constant the last 40 minutes. With no sign of it moving off.
    Rain and with some heavy bouts thrown in.
    At the foot of the Blackstairs.
    Lashing now again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gamma Flash

Another kicked off between youghal and middleton

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still a wall of cloud here in Meath, it's getting a little bit brighter but no breaks in the cloud as of yet. I think at this stage the thunderstorm risk will be confined to the south-east and southern coasts, mid Wicklow to east Cork with a decent chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Big cell to the east of us (Midleton, Co. Cork), heading this way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

lower cloud/fog burning off here in kilkenny and temps rising again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Some impressive cloudscapes looking Northwest towards the Wexford/Kilkenny border from the top of Forth mountain about an hour ago. Was just starting to rumble as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8szzrofrhb72xk/IMG_20200616_132449.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zszhup494grbh7v/IMG_20200616_132523.jpg?dl=0

Wasn't sure how to embed without losing the quality

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Given that over the last couple of days, we saw the bulk of the most intense storms develop in and around regions with hills (S. Donegal/ W. Mayo/Connemara/N. Clare etc) that peaked in intensity during the early to mid evening time, and given that we remain under this same air mass, will we see an similar sort of development today and this evening, say in the hillier regions of the S. Midlands and those areas around the Wicklow Mts?

Overcast but dry here (Galway) with a perfect feeling 15.2c temp reading.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Torrential hail and plenty of thunder in Clongeen, Wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The met.ie radar shows nothing but I can hear it starting to bubble up alright.

and now it does, must have needed refreshing

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    lower cloud/fog burning off here in kilkenny and temps rising again :)

Sun now shining here north of Kilkenny city.
    Will help to add some energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Sun bursting through here in North county Dublin and there is good heat in it too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The common convergence zone from mt leinster to the Wicklow mts has fired up on its southern arm all the way down to west Waterford now too

The skies over me have cleared now and it's back to bright sunshine again,to the South West and West it's extremely dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭eagerv

KildareP wrote: »
    Nope, head is absolutely thumping this morning.

Hoping the headache will prove worth it! :D

Worth it atm in west Co Wexford, almost continuous loud bangs and heavy rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Big cell to the east of us (Midleton, Co. Cork), heading this way!

Some rumbling so but that's it so far, no rain and a few faint lightning strikes. Hopefully it can take off soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Lightning so far, very active in south to South East

attachment.php?attachmentid=516626&stc=1&d=1592315676

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

eagerv wrote: »
    Worth it atm in west Co Wexford, almost continuous loud bangs and heavy rain.

If I look that direction,the sky is black,the complete opposite here only 20 minutes away.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Aside from parts of Wexford/Waterford, and east Cork, does not look like much else happening at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gamma Flash

Tantalisingly close now, wall of black to north east (sw kk) leading edge of anvil just arrived overhead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Aside from parts of Wexford/Waterford, and east Cork, does not look like much else happening at the moment.

Unfortunately that stubborn misty cloud stuck around for far too long and has put curtains on this for the northern 2/3rds of Leinster.

Sun is finally starting to poke out through the cloud here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Only a very slight gradual breakup of the persistent low cloud over Dublin. Some peeks of sunshine. But not going to be enough to produce any local thunderstorms. Had the cloud lifted 2 or 3 hours ago, it would have been a much different story. Always so close, yet always so far.

I knew it wouldn't lift. People on here saying it would etc were wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

Only a very slight gradual breakup of the persistent low cloud over Dublin. Some peeks of sunshine. But not going to be enough to produce any local thunderstorms. Had the cloud lifted 2 or 3 hours ago, it would have been a much different story. Always so close, yet always so far.

A cell has popped up near Collon in Louth. Will cross the border into Meath shortly. Looks like the northern end of the convergence zone is finally getting its act together. Still plenty of time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

This is not a competition to see who is right and who is wrong, you got it right on this occasion, well done. Why the need to call out that other people were wrong in their forecast/guess?
    This is a friendly place, except when there's snow involved that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

This is not a competition to see who is right and who is wrong, you got it right on this occasion, well done. Why the need to call out that other people were wrong in their forecast/guess?
    This is a friendly place, except when there's snow involved that is.

Sorry I didn't mean to come across that way. Just disappointed. All the talk earlier had me hyped up for a decent storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Maybe people weren't talking about dublin,this was always going to be more of a southeast event today,Don't think anyone were guaranteeing thunderstorms for dublin today

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Heard a rumble mid cork hopefully it kicks off down here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status yellow - Thunder warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Tipperary and Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Thunderstorms in places today and tonight with severe downpours, hail and lightning activity.

Due to the localised nature of the thunderstorm activity, some areas will miss them completely but areas impacted will see torrential downpours with a risk of local flooding.

Valid: 15:00 Tuesday 16/06/2020 to 06:00 Wednesday 17/06/2020

Issued: 15:00 Tuesday 16/06/2020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Skyhunter wrote: »
    Rumbles now in KK.

almost a constant rumbling in the distance :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Cork added to yellow warning

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Rumblings to east of Kilkenny now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

pad199207 wrote: »
    Status yellow - Thunder warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Tipperary and Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Thunderstorms in places today and tonight with severe downpours, hail and lightning activity.

Due to the localised nature of the thunderstorm activity, some areas will miss them completely but areas impacted will see torrential downpours with a risk of local flooding.

Valid: 15:00 Tuesday 16/06/2020 to 06:00 Wednesday 17/06/2020

Issued: 15:00 Tuesday 16/06/2020

I wonder could we be in for some Welch imports tonight

Advertisement