Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deatr

Cell over Louth/Cavan from Laytown beach

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Not the thunderstorm but the aftermath..

https://youtu.be/DQbJ7W3tAu4

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ZX7R wrote: »
    I wonder could we be in for some Welch imports tonight

I was just about to write/suggest same, with warning valid until 6am tomorrow.

Probably only chance of Dublin/coastal fringes seeing any action would be imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

SIGMET out for south Leinster/east Munster for frequent thunderstorms forecast, tops FL300, moving WSW at a snail's pace. Expires at 15Z but it will be updated soon.
    EISN SIGMET 01 VALID 161245/161500 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR FRQ TS FCST WI N5300 W00620 - N5215 W00645 - N5210 W00705 - N5300 W00700 - N5300 W00620 TOP FL300 MOV WSW 05KT NC

516632.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looks to be a lot in East cork, cell just seems to be staying put and not moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

SIGMET out for south Leinster/east Munster for frequent thunderstorms forecast, tops FL300, moving WSW at a snail's pace. Expires at 15Z but it will be updated soon.

snails pace is an understatement, been watching it grow the last couple of hours, but its not moving at all, its becoming a beast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Not a drop of rain to be got in Galway.got a small drop yesterday evening.badly wanted now

I can hear rumbles in Cork city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

We've been forecasted rain so many times but we never get it. Same today, loads of rain in the forecast but looks like that has all disappeared now. Could really do with it. Looks like we'll get some Thursday and Saturday (but I've been saying that for ages!).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I can hear rumbles in Cork city.

the cell east of cork city has been extremely active for a while now, looks impressive on radar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Scrabbel

Scrabbel wrote: »
    Interesting last piece today from convectiveweather.

“ However, some elevated shower and thunderstorm activity may persist, or actually increase, across SW Scotland, the Irish Sea and into eastern Ireland through Tuesday night into early Wednesday as the aforementioned shortwave over England/Wales swings westwards through the night”

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2020-06-16

Still hoping for that last para to come true tonight especially for Dublin region. Does any of our experts know if the above possibility is affected by the limited amount of sunshine near to the coast up to now? Or is it a completely separate effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I was just about to write/suggest same, with warning valid until 6am tomorrow.

Probably only chance of Dublin/coastal fringes seeing any action would be imports.

Looking a the radar the action over Wales does not appear to be making much if any inroads to the Irish sea but we can live in hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Looks to be a lot in East cork, cell just seems to be staying put and not moving.

Seems to be really localised, I'm supposedly right under it and there's not a whole lot happening here. Zero rain either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gamma Flash

Gone quiet kilkenny/ east waterford / west wexford now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Seems to me the band to the East of Waterford City is losing energy with not many strikes in the last 20 mins. Even the distant rumbles have stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Has it fizzled out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

The sun is out in D22 now, and it is feeling warmer. A bit cloudy still.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

I took this near Riverstick Co Cork and it's SE from me.. it's been rumbling there for a while. I love that sound!

516634.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭eastie17

I'm in East Cork, can confirm its over my house for the past hour and going nowwhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Parts of midlands still in drought condition. Nothing at all here from this convection spell. Cloudy dampish day today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

516632.PNG
    Ties in nicely with the latest EC06z update.

For anyone interested, I would recommended downloading the 'MeteoBlue' app on their phone. Great and close to accurate daily forecasts but they also have a great visible satellite that updates every 15 mins. Handy feature for the likes of today and any other day as well. Handy. Currently shows cloud breaking across the eastern 3rd of the country which can only be a good sign.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Arome, WRF and Harmonie models showing a surge in activity after dark in the East lasting well into the early morning. While the atmosphere may have an unstable profile. What's going to be the trigger after dark?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Reversal wrote: »
    Stone, WRF and Harmonie models showing a surge in activity after dark in the East lasting well into the early morning. While the atmosphere may have an unstable profile. What's going to be the trigger after dark?

There was mention earlier of a short wave. An area/line of atmospheric instability...basically a trough.

Another little cell has popped up on the Louth/Down border.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I remember July 25th being like this with haze around much of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Thunderstorm went to the south of me here in north east Kilkenny, was sure we would get rain earlier on but - zilch so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Danno wrote: »
    I remember July 25th being like this with haze around much of the day

1985 or 2013

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭eagerv

20mm rain recorded during that intense hour or two in East Wexford. All clear now, temp gone up about 3C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Dark clouds to my east. Can't hear any rumbles but they are..... very... very... slowly moving towards me. I think they will have died out by the time they get here though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

'Mixed Layer Cape' (don't fully understand what that means but posting chart on here for those who might) forecast for 7pm this evening:

GQTDOl5.png

New Moon

Advertisement