Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,186 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bright sunshine with heat and humidity rising considerably (to the touch) here on the Dublin/Meath/Kildare border.

Who wants to give me some hope for storm development in the next few hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Just west of Drogheda has sparked up

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Another little cell has popped up west of Gorey/around Tinahely (in Wicklow).

Edit: See a sferic from that now,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    'Mixed Layer Cape' (don't fully understand what that means but posting chart on here for those who might) forecast for 7pm this evening:

[IMG][/img]

It's the CAPE generated by using a parcel from the average temperature and depwoint of the bottom 100 hPa layer of the atmosphere rather than just the surface (2-metre) values. It is always a lower number than the surface-based CAPE (SBCAPE) as the temperature and dewpoint at the surface are normally higher than the average of the bottom 100 hPa layer. MLCAPE is a more robust figure to take when ralking about deep convection, such as over Europe and the US Midwest, as it gives a better indication of the real energy available when upper forcing comes into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Latest SIGMET area, up to 6 pm. Still some time for northern Leinster.
    EISN SIGMET 02 VALID 161500/161700 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR FRQ TS FCST WI N5130 W00830 - N5210 W00830 - N5300 W00630 - N5220 W00640 - N5130 W00830 TOP FL330 MOV WNW 05KT NC=

516638.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

And....another little cell has popped up to the east of the Wicklow Mountains, around Roundwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just west of Drogheda has sparked up

Yeah here in rathkenny lobinstown area

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Frankie19

Can hear rumbles in the distance in Navan

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Donabate looking towards Drogheda/Duleek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Sorry I didn't mean to come across that way. Just disappointed. All the talk earlier had me hyped up for a decent storm.

No worries, just some people seem to revel in proving others wrong. Such a contrast and let down here in the west today, overcast and cool all day, compared to the cracker we had yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Convection really go up now around Naas/Newbridge

I think its going to be a hugely active evening over north Leinster. Roll the dice and take your chances folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Convection popping up around Kildare in the last 20 mims

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Big clap of thunder Kildare

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

beautiful and sunny and feeling warm now at Dunshaughlin, much of the cloud has now cleared however a tower is forming just to my northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Big boom of thunder in Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Major disappointment for Cork anyway, few spots did well by the looks of things, but the cell in East Cork didn't move much and has died out now. We got some rain out of it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Steopo wrote: »
    Donabate looking towards Drogheda/Duleek

Further on towards Donore/Tullyallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deatr

That cell just west of Drogheda, taken from Laytown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

View from Sallins

I've enlisted my sister as a local reporter

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Dare I get excited? Do I risk having my hopes dashed? Could west Dublin see a storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Dare I get excited? Do I risk having my hopes dashed? Could west Dublin see a storm?

For your sanity sakes, probably not.

Torrential rain and thunder in meath at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CeeCeeBloom

Outside the Odeon in Naas!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Lots of thunder from the cell over southern Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Torrential rain and thunder in meath at the minute

Where in Meath?

Where in Meath?

Navan to Slane it looks like.

Where in Meath?

Rathkenny Lobinstown area as mentioned above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Frankie19

Navan getting hammered. Surprised as we had grey clouds up untill around 2pm.

Advertisement