Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hi can someone tell me what the weather is expected to be like in Dublin on Saturday 20th June?

Typically Irish. Bright, breezy, heavy showers in the afternoon, 16-18C

New cell sprang up around the Airport, bang on trajectory for me, don't care about the T&L just need the rain badly. Come to papa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

No SBCAPE but still some MUCAPE left over for some elevated convection tonight, as long as there is some source of lift, which would appear to be the case with the 12Z GFS anyway (red positive vorticity area along the east coast). Just one model and one run, but there has been some increased activity over England this evening which may be a result of this. Hopefully...

516712.png

516713.png

anim_ir_color_qax2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

Intense shower in Clonsilla area just now. Heavy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Sky here in d5 looks threatening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

The shower over Dublin 15 has just got more intense in the last few minutes , might even see a flash and/or bang out of this .

It's very intense here ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Huge flash in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Lightning over South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Epic rainfall here in citywest ...oh and there is another blast of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Thunder(birds) are go. Just had a nice clap over Terenure

• Advertisement

I'm outside looking south and just saw a flash over towards Newcastle/Citywest area followed by a faint rumble.

thomasj wrote: »
    The shower over Dublin 15 has just got more intense in the last few minutes , might even see a flash and/or bang out of this .

It's very intense here ATM

Finally got a belt here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Finally got a belt here.

I’m in D15 and heard nothing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

chris2007 wrote: »
    Sky here in d5 looks threatening

Same in d6. You can almost smell it in the air

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

its like been in spain out there

I’m in D15 and heard nothing :(

Sorry bad description, I meant a belt of rain, no sparks to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Finally got a belt here.

What about the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Same in d6. You can almost smell it in the air

In D6 myself, it’s so heavy out and it’s an odd type of calm.... Calm before the storm maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Mech1 wrote: »
    confirmed

And here in Ballycullen lashing rain for 20 minutes absolute deluge 2 lightening flashes and 3 claps of thunder.
    Was all over by 2200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Sorry bad description, I meant a belt of rain, no sparks to be had.

Ah I see. Yeah the rain was mad. Very relaxing listening to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Huge flash over terenure, followed by a slight rumbling with a vicious bang shortly afterwards. That was ten long minutes ago, it’s all quiet now, not a breeze to be seen as the trees stand tall, still and to attention. Preparing for what’s ahead and waiting for a wash to follow.

Our skies truly are remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Just had another intense downpour in Lucan but no thunderstorm. Its such a wasted opportunity, we have the humid muggy conditions, no wind and the torrential downpours, but no lightning. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

big flash here,whooper...followed by a bang that set car alarms off..no joking nothing in swords,not even a drop or rain,as yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Went for a drive across to Athy and up the M9 to Kilcullen, came home back down via M9 and back across from Carlow. Rain at times on the M9 and sky very black to the east. Saw no lightning though. Back home and its overcast and muggy with a light NNW at 15°c. If there is any lightning to my east it won't be easily seen with all the low cloud.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

several showers here at Dunshaughlin over past few hours but no thunder or lightning in any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Seems to be either late or a no show :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Monster shower Newcastle Dublin

No light show

The Met Éireann Harmonie rainfall on their website shows some beefy showers forming over the Irish Sea and reaching the east coast by early monring.

https://www.met.ie/

516720.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Will we get any thing more in the south east tonight I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I think we can forget about thunderstorms tonight. Such a shame. Once the unsettled conditions later this week and the European monsoon from the Atlantic takes over in the next few days, we probably won't get any set up such as the one we've had for the last few days. Very depressing. I sense a washout for July and August.

Advertisement