Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks to be an interesting line of cloud developing off the south coast. Something to keep an eye on, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

highdef wrote: »
    Looks to be an interesting line of cloud developing off the south coast. Something to keep an eye on, maybe.

Looks interesting, it's like the edge of a dome forming and heading towards us!

The eastern end of that arc is linked to the Welsh coast storm that has just kicked off. Perhaps this will all develop into a line of showers pushing WNW.

I'd keep a close eye on it over the coming hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Clouds bubbling up rapidly now with fairly high tops west of SW England but more importantly, heading straight for the south coast. I think many southern parts are looking to be at risk in a few hours time.

It also appears that the Irish Sea is trying to come to life, not counting the cells already mentioned in the Irish Sea between Wales and Wexford. Seems to be some bubbling just getting started not far off the Wicklow coast.....one to keep an eye on for the many Dubs on here!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

highdef wrote: »
    Clouds bubbling up rapidly now with fairly high tops west of SW England

Can I ask how you can see this?
    Satellite image?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Satellite image?

Can see it here https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

From the met eireann 7 day radar it seems that any showers won't get to the south coast until later tonight...around 10pm?

Satellite image?

https://en.sat24.com/HD/en/gb/visual is a clearer image

Strikes a bit out off the south coast.

leahyl wrote: »
    From the met eireann 7 day radar it seems that any showers won't get to the south coast until later tonight...around 10pm?

Yeah, that's what Met's hourly forecast for Cork City says too. Let's see!

Wouldn't mind a good downpour of rain tbh!

spookwoman wrote: »
    Danno wrote: »

Thanks both! Forgot about Sat24. Much better than Met's satellite image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

right now the line of storms is heading a trajectory between Waterford and Cork, not exactly sure where it will make landfall. it's narrow and elongated north to south so whereever it does end up could get a lot of rain from it as well as the convection. anytime between 5.30pm and 9pm this evening at a guess

Yeah, that's what Met's hourly forecast for Cork City says too. Let's see!

Wouldn't mind a good downpour of rain tbh!

A bit of relief from this damn heat :p

Skies are getting congested with cloud at times here in South Laois, similar up in NW Kilkenny:

image.jpg

^live image - will auto-update.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

In waterford on my holidays. Fingers crossed for a great light show

A bit of relief from this damn heat :p

I know, right!

Our second and last day of summer, and I have to stay inside LOL!

At least there's a bit of a breeze, yesterday broke me. I felt unwell after wandering around town in the afternoon. Pfff, I'm not able.

Nice one forming off the south coast. Met warning updated to start at 5pm
    522812.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Update: Warning brought forward to 17:00

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Kilkenny, Wexford, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy thundery rain this evening and overnight with accumulations of 20 to 30mm. Torrential downpours in places leading to spot flooding.

Valid: 17:00 Wednesday 12/08/2020 to 09:00 Thursday 13/08/2020

Issued: 14:00 Wednesday 12/08/2020

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rikand wrote: »
    In waterford on my holidays. Fingers crossed for a great light show

Video!!

Looking out the window now, apart from there being a little more cloud cover, you wouldn't think anything was coming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

I'm staying at my sisters place in the wilds of Tipperary for a few days. Stargazing last night as there is pretty much no light pollution up here. Proper pitch black. Saw loads of class meteors last night. Hoping for a proper good light show tonight..

• Advertisement

Looking out the window now, apart from there being a little more cloud cover, you wouldn't think anything was coming...

That’s usually the best sign

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Can’t post charts but the storm to the South of Waterford and Cork has really blown up in size in the last hour or so. Something like the classic ones you see on the Continent. Will be interesting to track its progress.
    Overcast here in Waterford City and very muggy.
    Temp is 24.6c DP 20.3c. Has that typical pre Thunderstorm feel about it.

All charged up and ready to go

The potential is there as we move through tonight for quite a large swathe of the country to see lightning

Johnstown hit 25c

Gone above 24c here in South Laois.

Very heavy and muggy in Waterford No pleasant at all

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Hi I’m wondering if anyone can help as I can’t seem to locate what I’m looking for . There was a link for a website posted here before where you could see and hear with a little ping strikes as they happen live , can anyone remind me
    Of that website please ðŸ™ðŸ»?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thewife wrote: »
    Hi I’m wondering if anyone can help as I can’t seem to locate what I’m looking for . There was a link for a website posted here before where you could see and hear with a little ping strikes as they happen live , can anyone remind me

:)

https://www.blitzortung.org/en/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

Thewife wrote: »
    Not as accurate but it does the clicks as well https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#m=oss;t=3;s=201;o=0;b=0.00;ts=0;z=7;y=51.9036;x=-7.5531;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Advertisement