Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

it's going to start getting spicy around 8pm i feel in cork/waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

froog wrote: »
    it's going to start getting spicy around 8pm i feel in cork/waterford.

Seems to be intensifying again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

spookwoman wrote: »
    Seems to be intensifying again

Hope somewhere in Ireland gets thunder & lightning anyway. It most likely won’t be where I am (Dublin) Hope to be proven wrong though.

esposito wrote: »
    Hope somewhere in Ireland gets thunder & lightning anyway. It most likely won’t be where I am (Dublin) Hope to be proven wrong though.

Clouds are taking on a thundery look. Touch of undulatus coming in off the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Video!!

The wife is terrified of storms, but I'll do my best to get something if it happens. Note, there may be screams from her telling me to get away from the windows while I'm recording :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Jaysus quite jealous of our neighbours :eek:

522834.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Cool looking cell exploding up over northern Italy

https://en.sat24.com/en

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

If you can it's worth looking at Reporting Scotland after the news on BBC1 Scotlabd at 9.30 incredible scenes of devastlion two houses gutted after lightning strikes , flooding and landslides you can get it in other channels on Sky search for the freq

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Probably nothing going to happen but could the weather nothing take us by surprise are the ingredients there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got that popcorn stuff we also seen a few weeks ago moving up from the south outta Kilkenny County.

• Advertisement

Danno wrote: »
    Got that popcorn stuff we seen a few weeks ago moving up from the south outta Kilkenny County.

Mammatus?

spookwoman wrote: »
    Mammatus?

EbTRXsjWsAET6Qc?format=png&name=large

Not as dramatic as in this pic, but something similar on a much smaller scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Aw no not disappointment again? Are we still on track for some activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Jaysus quite jealous of our neighbours :eek:

522834.PNG

Those storms must be very intense, you know there's a lot of lightning when you press "Lightning on" on the Netweather radar and its several seconds before the strikes show on the map.

That low dark cloud is clearing is heading out to sea and the white high puffy stuff moving in to shore

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cooljaybeans

Another cell developed of the south coast , hopefully this 1 won't die out before it reaches us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Just back from the beach in Tramore, was really really warm 25 degrees on the car dash. Sky is brightening up, but looked quite dark towards the east of the county.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cloud moving into the S and SE, not showing any great height in it yet and not looking cold enough yet for thunderstorms but models are holding firm for active thunderstorms with heavy rain overnight and tomorrow. Might see convection getting going over land in the next few hours especially along S and SE coasts as the trough and instability moves in over Ireland bringing the storms inland. That's the plan anyways :)

WuuyGM6.png

Rw9ysKd.gif

He3JGH1.gif

TMRjlP4.gif

Vr0DQwM.png

zDwz1D5.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Convergence along the coast might kick something off

BfJQ6VK.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I was allover the south east this afternoon (east Waterford, Wexford and Kilkenny) - there’s a dead heat today and not a breath of fresh air. Hopefully we get another nice display pushing up from the south Irish Sea like a few months back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Lightningmaps.org showing lots of random strikes around the country in the last while. Is it reliable as a source to watch lightning? It seems to show things sparking up a little bit.

I’m just in the south/north Tipp border near Thurles. It’s been dead still and heavy heat all day long, but after cooling down in the last hour.

Some convection building to my west, out across West Laois/North Tipp area?

*eadaoin wrote: »
    Lightningmaps.org showing lots of random strikes around the country in the last while. Is it reliable as a source to watch lightning? It seems to show things sparking up a little bit.

I’m just in the south/north Tipp border near Thurles. It’s been dead still and heavy heat all day long, but after cooling down in the last hour.

I remember reading something about the time as the sun sets, the atmosphere tends to scatter the lightning signals. Usually takes an hour or so to settle back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Danno wrote: »
    I remember reading something about the time as the sun sets, the atmosphere tends to scatter the lightning signals. Usually takes an hour or so to settle back down.

Ah okay, nothing to get excited about so. I’ll go back to being eternally hopeful that a good storm is coming!

Just back in myself, needed coffee. Lets hope it kicks off later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Impressive looking MCS developed across in in the UK, looks to be very slow moving so wouldn't be surprised to read of some serious flash flooding in the morning

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not expecting anything here in Meath but the cloudy sky does seem to have a strange slightly brown tint to the greyness over the past hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Wales like a Christmas tree at present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Interesting graphic from Metcheck! We wuz robbed!

https://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/past_24hours_lightning_strikes.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Everytime I leave Cork there are chances of thunderstorms (for theast few times!!), Hopefully it happens for my fellow corkonions though. Doesn't look like anything up here in sligo though!

Advertisement