Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The heat is stifling tonight. 21C at 9pm is notable. Surely convection has to kick off later!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Lightning showing on Blitz for the rain off the Waterford / wexford Coast. Also showing up strong on the IR

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Gerry Murphy surprised me about how confident he is of these showers and thunderstorms kicking off.

Quite a few strikes off the Waterford coast in the last fifteen minutes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A few cells approaching the S now and sparking up a bit

JsmGdtb.png?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Danno wrote: »
    Gerry Murphy surprised me about how confident he is of these showers and thunderstorms kicking off.

Have to agree with you he showed rain over the Southern parts with lightning but when he ran the radar you could see the rain dissipating almost to nothing and not a lot showing, be interesting to see what happens

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Have to agree with you he showed rain over the Southern parts with lightning but when he ran the radar you could see the rain dissipating almost to nothing and not a lot showing, be interesting to see what happens

I wouldn't be overly worried about rain-radar returns yet. These storms will be elevated anyway. Visibility of lightning will cross a wide area now that its getting dark.

Radar here shows the Celtic sea precip well: https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Max Temp 26.2c today. Currently a sultry 22.7c and cloudy with an RH of 77%

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

Plenty of fuel for the showers once they hit shore.

Gonna head out again and hope for the best. was talking to a couple in a camper down from the north and the husband was looking forward to a good lightning show

19.7c and a dewpoint of 17.8c here in south Laois.

Took a bottle of water out of the fridge and there was nearly as much water forming on the outside of the bottle as there was within the bottle! Such is the air so laden with moisture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

That cell to the S showing up well on Satellite producing a good few sferics now.

hh2vJCT.gif

https://www.blitzortung.org/en/live_dynamic_maps3.php#

kXqODyV.png

Storms look to be edging across from the UK now especially from Wales

eW1lh9A.jpg

Showers over the Llyn peninsula off NW Wales has strikes and showers pushing eastwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

tenor.gif?itemid=16992673

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ollie103

I think there was a flash of lightening off Dunmore East...? No thunder so it may be well off-shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭geminiman63

ollie103 wrote: »
    I think there was a flash of lightening off Dunmore East...? No thunder so it may be well off-shore.

There was, I just seen it too from Bannow bay in Wexford.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Showers over the Llyn peninsula off NW Wales has strikes and showers pushing eastwards...

Pushing East is away from Ireland need to push West 🀣🀣

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Pushing East is away from Ireland need to push West ����

Well spotted! :eek:

Make that pushing westwards! :D

Showers developing over inland Cork now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Went to Portrane to see if I could see that activity but visibility at sea is poor. The Kish light was barely visible where usually it's perfectly clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just seen a flash here from Naas to my SE

Seeing flashes out to sea off south coast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

This is going to be an uncomfortable night for sleeping.

Tramore Weather Station is showing:

Temp: 20.2 deg C.

Humidity: 85%

Dew Point: 17.7 deg C.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

This is going to be an uncomfortable night for sleeping.

Tramore Weather Station is showing:

Temp: 20.2 deg C.

Humidity: 85%

Dew Point: 17.7 deg C.

We're cooking in our hotel room in waterford city and the aircon is on the blink. :(

large area of active weather heading from Devon/ Cornwall on a NW'ly track towards the S coasts, heavy stuff getting closer to the E SE coast.

P1FBaKh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

im hoping that we get a good thunderstorm in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

large area of active weather heading from Devon/ Cornwall on a NW'ly track towards the S coasts, heavy stuff getting closer to the E SE coast.

P1FBaKh.png

How likely is that going to get any where near cork city??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

That rain over Wales looks biblical..

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    How likely is that going to get any where near cork city??

Good chance Id say.

29hhOcD.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Saw several distant flashes off the coast now to my south east. Looking at Blitzortung suggests due east of Arklow

Advertisement