Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Heavy rain, a few flashes of lightning and claps of thunder here near Tralee. Incredibly dark.

Netweather

wwhxq8D.png

It has gone unbearably warm and humid in South Kerry. We've all the windows in the house open just trying to get some breeze through the place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

SeaFields wrote: »
    It has gone unbearably warm and humid in South Kerry. We've all the windows in the house open just trying to get some breeze through the place

Swap you. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Swap you. ðŸ˜

I'm up for that swap too. Cool in North Kildare, not cold, but I wouldn't be sitting out in it in just a t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/1294747137490718722?s=20

Cullohill - Rathdowney area today at 3.20pm

Also, a funnel cloud in Cullohill SW Laois around 4pm:

523092.jpg

Awaiting high-res pictures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Impressive thunderstorm moved through West Clare earlier, loud thunder, few flashes and extremely heavy rain, 16.8mm recorded with a rate of 110mm/h at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Impressive thunderstorm moved through West Clare earlier, loud thunder, few flashes and extremely heavy rain, 16.8mm recorded with a rate of 110mm/h at one stage.

Same in East Clare 11mm in about 20 minutes.

Something building on approach to the WX coast from Wales?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Danno wrote: »
    Something building on approach to the WX coast from Wales?

Worth watching.
    Netweather is not handling lightning well these days. The high level of strikes is slowing it down a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The warnings for thunderstorms over the last couple of days are not justified. Most especially tonight there I a almost zero risk of thunder. If Met Eireann just used the word 'risk of thundery bursts' of rain it would be far more accurate!
    The lighting radar sums up the situation, nought!!
    EDIT I see that the Mets warning tonight is just for thundery rain so fair enough. Still think last few days over egged though (apart from local West cork)

The warnings for thunderstorms over the last couple of days are not justified. Most especially tonight there I a almost zero risk of thunder. If Met Eireann just used the word 'risk of thundery bursts' of rain it would be far more accurate!
    The lighting radar sums up the situation, nought!!
    EDIT I see that the Mets warning tonight is just for thundery rain so fair enough. Still think last few days over egged though (apart from local West cork)

We're getting to the part of the year where we say "never turn your back on thunder"

Just like in late March "never turn your back on snow"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Really looking forward to about 6 hours of heavy rain, accompanied by thunder and lightning for tonight at my location in North Kildare, going by Met Eireanns forecast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

highdef wrote: »
    Really looking forward to about 6 hours of heavy rain, accompanied by thunder and lightning for tonight at my location in North Kildare, going by Met Eireanns forecast :D

We've had 50mm of rain today so far here in Tramore, crazy amount of rain has fallen so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

highdef wrote: »

Lightning symbols for Clondalkin from around midnight to early tomorrow morning.

Though, the last time there was a similar outlook, things didn't cone to fruition. Maybe a bit of rain, though, and that's all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Met forecasting thunderstorms for Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Met forecasting thunderstorms for Thursday?

Tell them to stop forecasting Thunderstorms because when they do nothing happens, there were lightning symbols over Galway on yesterdays forecast heavy rain and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

IWC claiming severe weather alerts strong summer storm, you know ... the purple warning lad..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

jimmynokia wrote: »
    ..the purple warning lad..

:p

DOCARCH wrote: »
    :p

LOL.. SIGNIFICANT WEATHER WARNINGS LADS....

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

150-175 kmph

Surely that can't be right?

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    150-175 kmph

He is still deciding what colour crayola to use for his next weather warning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Nothing at all last night thunder-wise, desite the lightning symbols over a period of several hours on Met Eireann's page.

It could well have lashed, though, but I heard nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    150-175 kmph

It's what the ECM is showing as gusts for the coasts right now, anyway. More over here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058105531

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭squarecircles

jimmynokia wrote: »

it was nice knowing you all,it looks like Mayo will all that will be left.:pac:

its incredible how at such short range such muck can be churned out by the ECM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some of the showers that are following on behind the clearance today are producing some very heavy downpours. Wouldnt rule out a rumble of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I had an opportunity to chase a storm around my part of the world yesterday. It had been sunny and hot all day then a fairly beefy cell popped up on the radar about 50 miles west of us, apparently heading e.n.e. -- no frontal boundary, just an air mass thunderstorm. Once I had determined it would miss my location (which is a town called Rossland BC in the Monashee Mountains) we drove up the highway through the eventual target area to get in position to view lightning strikes on and around Old Glory Mountain which reaches 2400m and is the highest peak in the southern end of the range (there are higher ones about 200 kms north of us).

Not disappointed with that choice as we could see forked lightning on several occasions hitting targets in the high country near that peak (about 10 miles south of our safe view). We were on the edge of the rainfall and just got a trace amount but could see heavy shafts of rain and or hail in the fast-moving cell. Then we returned through the same area and took photos and video of the departing cell once it had cleared the north-south highway. From the amount of water running in ditches, it appeared that 10-15 mm of rain had fallen locally.

The temperature which had been 37 C in town and 32 C through the higher parts of the highway route before the storm hit, dropped to 24 C on the northern fringe of the storm and then to 17 C in the "aftermath" zone just as the heavier rain there was ending. Not very windy but could feel a 30-50 km/hr northerly breeze for a few minutes watching the storm retreat.

Anyway, here's a couple of photos from the northern view and the later western view of the storm (the western view taken from a point roughly similar to where the earlier picture shows the core to be traversing). (edit -- these pictures are now in reverse order because of an edit of the first one so 0081 is the first view, 0093 the later one). By late afternoon this cell had diminished about 100 miles northeast of us, and other rather weak cells were moving along the same general corridor. We are still in the hot air mass today (at 1100h it is 30 C here and sunny) so we might have several more storms to chase in coming days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There isn’t a thunderstorm forecast on netweather.tv today. It is after several days of them issuing storm forecasts up until yesterday.

Advertisement