Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Networks - Apprenticeship program

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭torbie

Thanks for that encouraging news!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Biffinator

Sorry that's what I meant , it seems the inductions are done in more than one set, my bad. Whether or not that's still the case I'm unsure but here's hoping we get going in good time. Please God we will be on the ground(or up a pole) soon , many late nights pondering over this and that at this stage. And yeah certainly another thing I saw was the edge towards female apprentices certainly on the rise :)

Biffinator wrote: »
    Sorry that's what I meant , it seems the inductions are done in more than one set, my bad. Whether or not that's still the case I'm unsure but here's hoping we get going in good time. Please God we will be on the ground(or up a pole) soon , many late nights pondering over this and that at this stage. And yeah certainly another thing I saw was the edge towards female apprentices certainly on the rise :)

Ah thanks for all that info. I wonder will their plans change if another lock down in January. ?
    It's hard to not get excited & wonder but nobody has been offered places yet!. I'm sure they have to wait for all the medicals to be done before offering anything.
    Or maybe getting Dublin out of they way. Here's hoping for good news & some normal life next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 EmmaFitz16

Yes my son is 13th January, id say with the social distancing etc they can only take a certain amount of medicals each day. Let us know how you get on biffinator ! Best of luck

Medical went okay, passed anyway :) the hearing one was tough I found. have to listen for low tones can be hard to make out . sight test fairly standard some basic flexibility and answer the questions on medical history.

• Advertisement

Great news, all you have to do is wait now for hopefully an offer !!. I will let you know how my lad gets on in January, seems ages away !

My daughter got a call yesterday confirming that she got a place. Due to start end Feb in the branch she picked. She delighted and terrified. Im very surprised they have made offers without all the medicals taking place.

Unfortunately she wont get to finish her course & she started a part time job last week !
    I wonder would it be worth asking could she finish the course?. Its a engineering/pre- apprentice course which finishes up in May. Anyway covid might change the plans too??

Good luck to the rest of you. Its been a LONG application!

Great news for your daughter, especially before xmas, cheer everyone up !! Its so strange they are offering jobs before medicals are finished, I hope my son is still in with a chance but then why would they ask him to do a medical if there was not a job available, its been such a rollercoaster, i cant wait for it to be all over !!

Its a pity your daughter wont get to finish her course but sure this is much better for her, could you speak to the college and they might allow her to do the final exams or do online classes etc, could be worth a call to the college.

I wonder did biffinator hear anything yet??

Emma fitz. My husband thinks that they only give medicals to the amount of places they have. They asked her first was she still interested & then said she had it.
    Shes very over whelmed today but alot could happen between now & then.
    Keep us posted emma

Got an offer yesterday too :) start early march in Limerick Yeah the medical seems like it is for potential apprenticeship so unless there's something outstanding I'd say you've a great chance but same as myself I couldn't get excited till I got the offer. It it's both terrifying and exciting indeed . As for the course torbie it's great to come pre prepared but I'm sure there's plenty who don't and come in as fresh meat. I don't think stuff like engineering maths etc come into it till year 2+ . So long as she has a grasp of how a substation etc might work I think she'd be okay. And wouldn't worry about offers being out before medical finishes seems to of been the way previous years did it

• Advertisement

Great news biffinator you can breath a sigh of relief and enjoy christmas !! Iv read from previous years threads also and it seems offers are made before medicals are finished etc, my lad is convinced he has it so i really hope for him it all goes to plan. I will keep you guys updated and well done.

So the medical for the 13th has been postponed until a later date when restrictions are lifted again, so more waiting around, not the outcome we would have hoped for but we will just have to sit tight and wait. Did you guys get any update on start dates etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jakeesb2020

No I’m still waiting on a call and my medical was on the 9th of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 IrishPaddyMan7

Where had you applied for Jake

Inchicore and Finglas. What about yourself?

Portlaoise, what about everyone else?

My son applied for finglas and drogheda, so you had a medical Jake but have heard nothing since? I just think its the mayhem caused by covid that has everything up in the air, i just hope everyone gets to attend the medical.

Yes I had my medical. I’d say you’re right COVID has everything up in the air and I’d say they’ll get through everyone just when everything dies alone a little more

Oh Emma - so sorry to hear that. I dont know how I missed these messages previously. It really is a mess at the moment.
    Please stay safe and hope for the best.

Just received the phone call been expecting. start dates being pushed back into summer. All pending lockdown measures and go ahead from their medical team, it could be as early as April if things go well or late summer if it doesn't. The network team themselves are on a call out only basis so they feel we wouldn't get the standard of training they would like which is fair just more waiting . Still places to be offered so those still waiting for the medical/the call keep the fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Same for my Daughter - its suits her to be staring later - so we are happy with that.

Thanks for the update guys, I'm one of the people who have passed the medical and just waiting on word. At least we have this thread to keep informed, best of luck to everyone.

I’m the same IrishPaddyMan7 hopefully we hear soon enough fingers crossed

Ah thanks a million for the update, its been on my mind. Well at least we know its still going ahead at some stage this year! We are still waiting on a date for the medical so everyone is at different stages . Stay in touch and stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭TylerRyan28

How long have you all been waiting to start your apprenticeship since you applied for the job? Would it not be better to start a apprenticeship instead of waiting for ESB to get back to you .

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭walshtipp

ESB Networks will be taking applications for apprenticeships from 1st March 2021 for anybody who is interested in applying this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dildert123

HI,
    Im hoping to apply this year for the ESB and im wondering if anyone who has been successful in recent year could give me some tips or tricks for the selection process?
    I also hear that "its who you know" that's how you get in is that true?
    Thanks

Hey Dilbert, the selection process is fairly straightforward . Practise some online assesments in numerical/verbal reasoning and spacial awarenes, youl get a few days to complete it so check the assessments titles and then study them.The interview isn't as informal as I taught it would be, they're looking for good teamwork and own initiative examples they might ask you some stuff like power usage of a shower and basic wires for a plug and safety is no.1 priority. Not sure about who you know element that's kinda in every job to some extent but it is a very sought after position it's up against probably thousands of applications so be the best you can be. best of luck with your application, ye will probably be starting a few weeks after us at this stage ha

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dildert123

Biffinator wrote: »
    Hey Dilbert, the selection process is fairly straightforward . Practise some online assesments in numerical/verbal reasoning and spacial awarenes, youl get a few days to complete it so check the assessments titles and then study them.The interview isn't as informal as I taught it would be, they're looking for good teamwork and own initiative examples they might ask you some stuff like power usage of a shower and basic wires for a plug and safety is no.1 priority. Not sure about who you know element that's kinda in every job to some extent but it is a very sought after position it's up against probably thousands of applications so be the best you can be. best of luck with your application, ye will probably be starting a few weeks after us at this stage ha

Hey thanks for your reply i appreciate the response.
    Im glad to hear you managed to secure a position fair play.
    Im just hoping i can do the same this apprenticeship is like a dream job to me!!

• Advertisement

A good course to do before the online assessments is with Career Services, they do an intensive training to help you get ready for the assessments, it helped my son a lot anyway.

Update for 2020 people , my son got his call back for his medical, its Wednesday coming, so fingers crossed things are starting to move forward

Advertisement