Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom extractor fan isolator location

Options
  • 02-03-2020 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Can a fan isolator be on the wall of a bathroom as long as its outside the zones? Rule 701.53.05 only states that wall mounted switches are not permissible in any zone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Davy87 wrote: »
    Can a fan isolator be on the wall of a bathroom as long as its outside the zones? Rule 701.53.05 only states that wall mounted switches are not permissible in any zone
    I think if you want a wall mounted isolation switch it should be outside the room.

Ceiling pull cord switches may be within the room.

Hope others will correct me if I am wrong

Look at page 174 of the regs .
    If your outside the zones you can put whatever you like on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Davy87

I've seen the switches on the ceiling. Is that allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Davy87 wrote: »
    I've seen the switches on the ceiling. Is that allowed?
    On my last inspection I was told that they needed to be at switch height

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

kramer1 wrote: »
    On my last inspection I was told that they needed to be at switch height

I don’t wire domestic installations so I am open to correction but this just sounds wrong to me. Can anyone point to anything in the rules that supports this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

2011 wrote: »
    I don’t wire domestic installations so I am open to correction but this just sounds wrong to me. Can anyone point to anything in the rules that supports this?

555.5.1 (isolating switch)

530.6 wall mounted switch heights (400mm-1200mm)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »
    555.5.1 (isolating switch)

530.6 wall mounted switch heights (400mm-1200mm)

Fair enough, it is certainly routinely ignored. In many cases that would mean that the isolator would not be local to the device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Michelinextra.

I'm not fully convinced on this interpretation of the rules

The wording of 555.5.1 is an "isolating device in it's vicinity"

This was always taken by me as meaning a means of "switching off for mechanical maintenance"
    rather than functional switching or isolation as applies to luminaires and fixed appliances respectively

530.6 is headed "position of control devices"

Which a fan isolation switch is not , so the point can easily be argued against

+1

Just to add:

555.1.2 states that the isolator must be within 2m of the appliance. So if the appliance is mounted very high up then the isolator may have to be to so as it can be within the required 2m.

• Advertisement

+1

Just to add:

555.1.2 states that the isolator must be within 2m of the appliance. So if the appliance is mounted very high up then the isolator may have to be to so as it can be within the required 2m.

There's no mention of distance

Which is why I would say the rules re: control and isolation switches is not applicable

There's no mention of distance

There is on mine.

There is on mine.

Sorry yes I was looking at the wrong one

However I think the rule on fans is distinct from fixed appliance isolation

Otherwise they wouldn't have the wording " in it's vicinity"

However I think the rule on fans is distinct from fixed appliance isolation

Is there a specific rule for isolators for fans?

Personally I would consider a fan to be a fixed appliance, as such the 2m rule would apply.

Advertisement