Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Travellers

Options
  • 02-03-2020 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I'm interested to know what you all think about the censorship on this forum of topics regarding Irish travellers.

I guess the most ironic example is:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112627576

Where the OP is giving out about threads being closed about travellers without any mod explaining why it is being closed. Then his own thread was abruptly closed without any posts from a mod.

I'm genuinely intrigued. These people need to be called out for their wrongdoings, just like we call out everyone else for it. Stop the double standard! I think we as a community must demand a response from Boards mods to this; explaining why these threads are being mysteriously closed.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭Dorakman

Inb4 lock

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

They’re being closed because boards.ie don’t want to be a platform for the abuse of a minority community and the likely legal issues that would bring.

We all know the issues at this stage, is there much point in going over and over it every day with a new thread ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

JoeFritzl wrote: »
    I think we as a community must demand a response from Boards mods to this; explaining why these threads are being mysteriously closed.

Tis a privately owned website tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Travellers are 0.7% of the population, so only 0.7% of threads can be about travellers. I think that is fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭Dorakman

_Brian wrote: »
    They’re being closed because boards.ie don’t want to be a platform for the abuse of a minority community and the likely legal issues that would bring.

We all know the issues at this stage, is there much point in going over and over it every day with a new thread ??

I think the OPs point was that we can’t even discuss any problems with their community, in any way, shape or form. It’s kind of like sweeping stuff under the rug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

_Brian wrote: »

Ah **** off with that PC bull****!

Call out criminals for what they are. The stuff they get away with is a joke. Nobody is saying it's all of them. But even threads about their community racing on the motorway or mentioning the fact that a criminal just so happens to be a traveller is instantly swept under the rug.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Tis a privately owned website tbh

Yep and I want to know what they are scared of. I'm asking for an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

JoeFritzl wrote: »
    Ah **** off with that PC bull****!

Call out criminals for what they are. The stuff they get away with is a joke.

Calling out criminals for what they are =/= tarring an entire group for the actions of some its members.

Calling out criminals for what they are =/= tarring an entire group for the actions of some its members.

Nobody is tarring an entire community.

People posted a thread about travellers riding horses on a motorway - removed.
    Threads about traveller threads being closed - removed.

Neither of these were necessarily 'tarring an entire group'.

You PC assholes are ruining this country with your utter ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Funny how Boards closes down threads and hands out cards for anyone saying anything bad about travellers, muslims, people of colour etc...but continuously allows posters to discriminate against people in social housing without a bother. Surely all discrimination is unacceptable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Censorship my hole, people talk about nothing else on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Travellers are 0.7% of the population, so only 0.7% of threads can be about travellers. I think that is fair.

weve so far been operating on a threads to criminality ratio which is why over 22% of threads are about them.

Disproportionately high, isnt it...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

weve so far been operating on a threads to criminality ratio which is why over 22% of threads are about them.

Disproportionately high, isnt it...

Very much so, and the number of travellers in prison disproves the oft repeated nonsense that they can get away scot free with breaking any and every law.

Very much so, and the number of travellers in prison disproves the oft repeated nonsense that they can get away scot free with breaking any and every law.

But at the same time proves that they commit more crime than everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Waiting for

Invalid thread specified

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well OP, I suspect this is not going to surprise you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement