Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starter Camera to Buy :)

Options
  • 02-03-2020 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi , I am interested in photography but so far I have just been using my phones, I would like some recommendations on some good starter cameras to buy for a first time buyer ? I've heard it can really be down to preference in which make you like. I will be mostly using it for landscape and nature shots and would preferebly like if it had wifi so I could transfer to my phone real quick. My budget would be 300/400 euro , would this get a reasonably decent starter camera?

also is there any 2nd hand camera shops and would people recommend these ?

TIA for any help :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

For that budget I would be looking at a used DSLR.

I am not sure why you would want to be transferring straight to your phone. If you want to learn about photography you will realise that you make a photo. After you capture the image then you process before it's ready. I do not know anyone that uses images straight from the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

The two areas of photography that you mention have different needs.

Landscape often needs wide angle lenses, while most wildlife photography involves long lenses.

For your budget and need to have images on your phone I would suggest you stay with mobile phones, try to find a Huawei p30 secondhand. If you do want to learn more about photography maybe join your local camera club (it could also be a source of second hand gear for you)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I started on a Sony A5000, was €330 at the time. You could pick up a second hand one with the 55-210 lens. When I'm travelling I use the WiFi function. Means you get better images for social media, as opposed to using your phone. If I were one of those pro people I'd definitely be travelling with my laptop and editing , but I'm not. I have Lightroom on my phone and do things with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CabanSail wrote: »
    For that budget I would be looking at a used DSLR.

I am not sure why you would want to be transferring straight to your phone. If you want to learn about photography you will realise that you make a photo. After you capture the image then you process before it's ready. I do not know anyone that uses images straight from the camera.

There are big insta heads that shoot DSLR, edit on phone usually with a combo of apps, then post. Weird I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

Canon 200D is a good starter camera, can be bought quite cheap, I bought mine on Amazon.de for about 250 euro*, got a 10-18 mm wide angle lens for it second hand in CEX for around the 100 euro mark.

I'm very happy with this combo for my limited skillset, the camera offers WiFi connectivity through an app but I have got myself a card reader for the Iphone and Ipad (same one) to tranfer files through a cable.

The WiFi connection seems to be very heavy on battery and it's not great if you use up the battery to transfer files and can't take photos anymore.

* - I did get the camera from Amazon Warehouse Deals, I waited until the Black Friday (I think) sales when they usually give additional 20% off used items - the camera looked brand new, the boxed was opened but the camera is still working perfectly

• Advertisement
Advertisement