Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my boss prohibit me from travelling?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

In my opinion, you'd be a right cnut if you went off on your holidays to a place with a lot of cases and then didn't say a word to anyone on your return about where you'd been, so they could at least take the proper precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Untrue.

They have every right to expect you not to bring the company into disrepute at home or abroad.

So don’t bring them into disrepute...

Still...

In your time off, the company has zero entitlement to know....

Where you have been

What you are doing

Who you are with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Strumms wrote: »

Where you have been

What you are doing

Who you are with

This gets complicated with social media though.

This is a stupid example, but imagine last weekend you went to a rally calling for the destruction of the West, and you put photos of it on your Twitter account, with text like "The only good westerner is a dead Westerner".

I think you probably could get fired for that.

OMM 0000 wrote: »

This is a stupid example, but imagine last weekend you went to a rally calling for the destruction of the West, and you put photos of it on your Twitter account, with text like "The only good westerner is a dead Westerner".

They’re going on a holiday, not defecting to North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,314 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What is it any of their business whether you go for 2 weeks in Ulan Bator or 2 weeks in Ballybunion? As long as it's not an obvious hot spot or shut down area I don't see the problem.

• Advertisement

I agree, i was never overly keen to get ‘friending’ work colleagues unless I knew them for a good length of time and there was a good trust and similar mindset as regards their privacy expectations and yours..

They’re going on a holiday, not defecting to North Korea.

I was responding to this:

Where you have been

What you are doing

Who you are with

I agree, i was never overly keen to get ‘friending’ work colleagues unless I knew them for a good length of time and there was a good trust and similar mindset as regards their privacy expectations and yours..

Yes I think sharing social media with colleagues is risky unless you're genuine friends with them and can trust them.

For example, my wife is instagram friends with some of the staff she works with, and one of the girls was posting **** about her colleagues being morons and how she hates her job. The colleagues saw it, as they're also instagram friends with her.

What a clown!

Yes I think sharing social media with colleagues is risky unless you're genuine friends with them and can trust them.

For example, my wife is instagram friends with some of the staff she works with, and one of the girls was posting **** about her colleagues being morons and how she hates her job. The colleagues saw it, as they're also instagram friends with her.

What a clown!

It hardly matters if you have half the country on social media though. They have no right to tell you not to go on holidays once you’ve the time off.

It hardly matters if you have half the country on social media though. They have no right to tell you not to go on holidays once you’ve the time off.

You're talking about something else.

Where you have been

What you are doing

Who you are with

But to stop this happening again, I'll respond directly to what you said:

It's none of your employer's business what you do in your private life, but your use of social media could embarrass your employer, or make you a problem employee (e.g. no one wants to employ a nazi), hence resulting in you being fired. This is your employer looking at your private life and using it against you.

That's the reason a lot of people write "opinions are my own and do not represent my employer" on their twitter profile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I can work from home, so if I hear of any of my work colleagues going on holidays to any hot spots, I'll be telling my boss I will be self isolating myself at home for two weeks after their return, if they are not asked to do so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

This is why companies think they can walk over everyone.

How about a bit of maturity... this is a serious situation, it is not just about you, it's about your colleagues and friends and possible even your job, if your company has to close down for a period.

Talk about being self centered

Jim2007 wrote: »
    How about a bit of maturity... this is a serious situation, it is not just about you, it's about your colleagues and friends and possible even your job, if your company has to close down for a period.

Talk about being self centered

It’s about not bending over for people that won’t give one **** about you if business dries up.

You're talking about something else.

But to stop this happening again, I'll respond directly to what you said:

It's none of your employer's business what you do in your private life, but your use of social media could embarrass your employer, or make you a problem employee (e.g. no one wants to employ a nazi), hence resulting in you being fired. This is your employer looking at your private life and using it against you.

That's the reason a lot of people write "opinions are my own and do not represent my employer" on their twitter profile.

Nobody wants to hire a Nazi, 100% but nobody wants to work for one either.

Feeling you have to put a fûcking disclaimer on your Twitter is where we are at now. Tiptoeing around your employer as they influence the content of your social media, what you can post, written and photographs...

My social media never contained a pic taken in the workplace, never mentioned where I worked and never commented on work or work issues. My thoughts about work end 100% when I clock out and don’t enter my head again until I clock back in. Work phone gets turned off on departure and isn’t reactivated until I arrive in the morning. You gotta look after yourself, put it this way, I found the hard way....

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭InPsyDer

It's definitely not a case of going to a hot spot for my trip, which is really why I didn't like the implication that I could simply be instructed not to travel at all by my employer. From talking to others in work today though it sounds like everyone is interpreting it to mean only business travel is to cease, so I should be in the clear! There's a lot of gearing up for remote working going on now. Really might see a lot of changes in how companies equip staff to be able to work at home out of this virus.

InPsyDer wrote: »
    From talking to others in work today though it sounds like everyone is interpreting it to mean only business travel is to cease

Makes sense.

Case closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My social media never contained a pic taken in the workplace, never mentioned where I worked and never commented on work or work issues. My thoughts about work end 100% when I clock out and don’t enter my head again until I clock back in. Work phone gets turned off on departure and isn’t reactivated until I arrive in the morning. You gotta look after yourself, put it this way, I found the hard way....

If you're in work and a customer comes in and recognises you as the guy who was parading around the square in a Nazi uniform last week, then your employer will be embarrassed.

Fair enough if customers or colleagues will never see you, but most real-world jobs aren't like that.

Theres one bit of context missing from this thread.

Where is the OP going?

North Italy? The city of Wuhan? A cruise around the med with lots of old couples?

Im going on holiday tomorrow. Work knows.

I'm going to Manchester, not exactly a virus hotspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Theres one bit of context missing from this thread.

Where is the OP going?

North Italy? The city of Wuhan? A cruise around the med with lots of old couples?

Im going on holiday tomorrow. Work knows.

I'm going to Manchester, not exactly a virus hotspot.

Oops (when they say More Soon they mean loads more cases...)

https://twitter.com/MENnewsdesk/status/1234869473301102592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1234869473301102592&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D112714127

If you're in work and a customer comes in and recognises you as the guy who was parading around the square in a Nazi uniform last week, then your employer will be embarrassed.

Fair enough if customers or colleagues will never see you, but most real-world jobs aren't like that.

Somebody going on holiday and someone parading up and down as a murdering anti semite probably not that comparable.

Say I’m working for an international company, imports and exports, they are an American company and as such do no business with Cuba... I’ve always fancied going to Cuba, nothing political, just as a holiday... I head off, am updating my Facebook, Instagram. Pics of me and the other half, is it justified for someone in that position to be disciplined or fired ? Is it justified therefore going forward that my employer is insistent on being advised by each and every employee where they go for holiday, which political party they vote for ? Is it fûck... that dangerous, that’s like an ultra right wing.... not a principal that this state was founded on, far from the ideals of any freedom fighter, ‘freedom to express yourself without fear of reprisal, freedom to travel without fear of the same, free world, don’t hand your freedom back for a few shillings to big US evil conglomerates of greed, free world, do what you like and regulate the behavior of employers, to the letter. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement