Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passive CPU cooler

Options
  • 03-03-2020 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

Anyone running a passive cooler? I have an Optiplex 9020 with one of those Palit passively cooled 1050ti's in it and I thought a passive CPU cooler would be a fun addition. Make it totally silent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Arctic make one that's very cheap: https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/alpine-12-passive.html

However unless it's absolutely necessary to be silent (e.g. music production) just get a Be Quiet - their fans are practically inaudible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You'd want pretty decent airflow in and out of the PC case for passive. So if you do not then it's not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What CPU cooler are you currently using. My old system and current system. I wired a switch into the cpu fan so if the fan runs at 5volts you do not hear it and then I can flick the switch to 12v if I was running a bench mark.

Something to think about as you are running a old and cheap even when new graphics card. No point wasting money on a CPU cooler when the money could be better spent on a more powerful graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I'm just doing it for fun. I don't really care about airflow here TBH.

Advertisement