Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there a lack of media coverage of the Redress:Breaking the Silence Documentary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

mariaalice wrote: »
    Have you an exampel of how the church wields a lot of power in 2020 Ireland?

they run the primary and secondary education systems through patronage boards

• Registered Users Posts: 56,350 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That 2009 clip of Michael O’Brien is very tough viewing.

I remember it when it happened..

Very tough on the panel as well..

I mean, those men weren’t even born or adults when that horror happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Powerful piece where a survivor questioned Noel Dempsey on Questions and Answers.

He basically said that the Gov could freeze the assets of the Orders if they had the will to do it.

There 382 million outstanding.

Considering the history of these orders how could the gov allow the Sisters of Charity to take over the new At Vincent's Hospital.

Powerful piece where a survivor questioned Noel Dempsey on Questions and Answers.

He basically said that the Gov could freeze the assets of the Orders if they had the will to do it.

There 382 million outstanding.

Considering the history of these orders how could the gov allow the Sisters of Charity to take over the new St Vincent's Hospital.

And very sad to hear that Mr. Sweeney inflicted physical cruelty and beatings to his own children...

It can go two ways. You either become like your abusers, or you abhore it..

• Advertisement

In that clip on Q+A Leo Varadkar was sitting on the panel in 1999. He's had a chance to correct this and done nothing.

These parties are all right wing ultra conservatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

That's understandable but I don't think William and Kates visit is that important.

It’s actually very very important in the wake of Brexit which is the next big crisis this country has to face after Corona or possibly along with corona.
    We desperately need British tourists to know that they are very welcome here never mind what has happened or what will happen. We will need them even more when the corona virus has destroyed this year and possibly next years tourism business in Ireland.
    The RCC scandals have been done to death at this stage. A lot of young people know absolutely nothing about it and have no interest in it whatsoever. RTÉ are flogging a dead horse at this stage.

I watched tonight. I don’t really know what to say as I could never imagine what all those people went, and are still going through.

What is the locking files away for 75 years about?

splinter65 wrote: »
    It’s actually very very important in the wake of Brexit which is the next big crisis this country has to face after Corona or possibly along with corona.
    We desperately need British tourists to know that they are very welcome here never mind what has happened or what will happen. We will need them even more when the corona virus has destroyed this year and possibly next years tourism business in Ireland.
    The RCC scandals have been done to death at this stage. A lot of young people know absolutely nothing about it and have no interest in it whatsoever. RTÉ are flogging a dead horse at this stage.

what absolute nonsense. They want to seal the records for seventy five years? Why? Whats the necessity of that beyond a cover up. Corruption happening in plain sight. The same as Wood's corrupt deal as part of the Ahern administration. The same as the corrupt relationship , still alive and well between the Catholic Church , running large parts of education and health in this country and the so called Republic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

L1011 wrote: »
    Irish Times covered it this morning

Broadcasters try to avoid covering rival broadcasters news / current affairs content out of spite

That doesn't explain the lack of chatter on Twitter or why this thread is only three pages long.

The truth is there isn't a media blackout on this story, but an interest blackout. Abuse in industrial schools is a story that is almost 30 years old at this stage, so this documentary is unlikely to throw up anything new.

• Advertisement

I watched tonight. I don’t really know what to say as I could never imagine what all those people went, and are still going through.

What is the locking files away for 75 years about?

I don't understand why Joe McHugh proposed this. I can't understand the thinking behind it. It serves no purpose unless it's a blatant cover up and protects some corrupt Politicians.

I can't see how making the records public would negatively affect the state, as if Joe McHugh gives s damn about the state anyway.

Why would he care about this so much that he proposes sealing records for 75 years.

Its the same scheming as the muzzle clause dropped in at the last minute in the Redress Bill. The same scheming that allowed Michael Woods to do a dirty deal which preserved the assets of the guilty and cost the taxpayer a billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    what absolute nonsense. They want to seal the records for seventy five years? Why? Whats the necessity of that beyond a cover up. Corruption happening in plain sight. The same as Wood's corrupt deal as part of the Ahern administration. The same as the corrupt relationship , still alive and well between the Catholic Church , running large parts of education and health in this country and the so called Republic

There’s people all over Ireland going to bed tonight who’s livelihoods (and for some people their actual lives) are threatened by the corona virus and Brexit and your enjoying the luxury of indulging in tinfoil hat level pointless speculation leading ....where?

There’s people all over Ireland going to bed tonight who’s livelihoods (and for some people their actual lives) are threatened by the corona virus and Brexit and your enjoying the luxury of indulging in tinfoil hat level pointless speculation leading ....where?

There are still people who are alive who are directly affected by this... You're treating it as something that should be forgotten about. It is perfectly possible to worry about the Coronavirus and Brexit while also questioning how this was handled... A bit of compassion for the victims wouldn't go astray.

Very very powerful stuff , extremely moving . Those people’s lives deeply affected if not destroyed , you could see it in every single face . Shameful

Well , don't seal the archives, let the matter sit and then examine, and prosecute child rapists , still at large , still protected by the catholic church.

The church has silenced the victims for decades. When do you suggest the police should investigate child rapes?

I don't understand why Joe McHugh proposed this. I can't understand the thinking behind it. It serves no purpose unless it's a blatant cover up and protects some corrupt Politicians.

I can't see how making the records public would negatively affect the state, as if Joe McHugh gives s damn about the state anyway.

Why would he care about this so much that he proposes sealing records for 75 years.
    If the documentary makers wanted to answer that question they could've. The tribunal didn't make findings of fact unlike a trial, therefore is is not possible to publish allegations as fact especially ones that could be disputed. It was also set up in a way where the participants expected confidentiality.

The reason the redress board was set up was because forcing victims to go to trial for justice would likely see none of them actually getting justice, since the beyond reasonable doubt standard would be too hard to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Are tv programmes always news? Not sure all media outlets are backing the government of the day either.

Fair point.

And why would politicians (a caretaker gov in fact) have to gain from protecting people and incidents from before many of them were alive?

Likely no conspiracy.

I'll wait for the OP to ask me who I serve now

There are still people who are alive who are directly affected by this... You're treating it as something that should be forgotten about. It is perfectly possible to worry about the Coronavirus and Brexit while also questioning how this was handled... A bit of compassion for the victims wouldn't go astray.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭PressRun

There are victims who are still alive who were affected by this abuse and who have never received proper justice. There are politicians who are still active in Irish politics who were involved in the cover up and actively prevented victims from receiving justice. One of them even wants to be Taoiseach. There are documents that certain people want sealed for 75 years.

This is the biggest scandal in the history of the state. Our version of concentration camps. Horrific violence against women and children on a mass scale that was aided and abetted by the state. And the victims suffer to this day because of a lack of accountability. There are still victims who aren't even accounted for. Children who disappeared without a trace. Children who died from "illness" and were buried in unmarked graves. People who have had to live with this trauma and have never seen justice.

This country hasn't even truly reckoned with the extent to which we have abused and discarded vulnerable people. The way we have consistently treated children appallingly over decades. We still have a shockingly dysfunctional social services system. TUSLA is a disgrace and more scandals will emerge from there in time.

That anyone would view this as something we should brush aside and forget about when we haven't even properly dealt with this and the legacy of it is still being felt is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Fair point.

And why would politicians (a caretaker gov in fact) have to gain from protecting people and incidents from before many of them were alive?

Likely no conspiracy.

I'll wait for the OP to ask me who I serve now

I suspect it's to cover up involvement of older party members and others in High Society, similar to what happened in the Kincora Boys home in the North.

They gain by looking after their careers and not rocking the boat. They shouldn't care about protecting anyone and should be seeking justice for the abused and criminal prosecutions of those who committed the abuse.

Can I ask you why do you think sealing records for 75yrs has been proposed? What's the logic behind the proposal. Who does it benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Records tend to be sealed to protect guilty people still living, so they will be long gone when they are finally opened.

The CC and the Orders have got away far too lightly in all this, and it is shocking. They need to be held to account for everything they have done, and even if it costs them every last penny they have.

Surely it would be the christian thing to do?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Records tend to be sealed to protect guilty people still living, so they will be long gone when they are finally opened.

The CC and the Orders have got away far too lightly in all this, and it is shocking. They need to be held to account for everything they have done, and even if it costs them every last penny they have.

Surely it would be the christian thing to do?

No, records are sealed when it can't be proved that the guilty are guilty.

Ridiculous statement to come out with, all trials are in public, the names of those found guilty are almost always published (in normal circumstances).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Harrowing stuff. I honestly dont know why people darken the doors of churches and make their kids do the sacraments. I see them as cowards and hypocrites. The Roman organisation should be expelled. Apologies for the strong words but I am angry and the Roman church continue to withhold information and redress funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,354 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We didn't ever need a totalitarian right wing movement here, the church filled that void quite well.

People who still give money to the church after all it has done need their heads examined.

If it had a shred of credibility, or even Christianity left, it would liquidate its assets and compensate the victims that are left.

No, records are sealed when it can't be proved that the guilty are guilty.

Ridiculous statement to come out with, all trials are in public, the names of those found guilty are almost always published (in normal circumstances).

The state has never tried to prove the Orders were guilty. Theyve used commission and inquiries and gagging orders to suppress info while making out they were establishing facts. They ensured no perpetrators were named.

They didn't even ensure compensation was paid. They are in league with the Church. They are all rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Harrowing stuff. I honestly dont know why people darken the doors of churches and make their kids do the sacraments. I see them as cowards and hypocrites. The Roman organisation should be expelled. Apologies for the strong words but I am angry and the Roman church continue to withhold information and redress funds.

Contact the Bishop of whatever diocese you may have been baptised in stating that you wish to renounce your faith and leave the church. Theyll write back with some canon law bull about being placed on a de facto register recording your wishes but its still amusing to pester them.

Michael O Brien on Q+A 1999. It was one of the reasons that Q+A was cancelled. The program was too risky for our Politicians.

Leo Varadkar was on the Panel with Noel Dempsey.

In the UK their equivalent program Question Time continues to this day.

https://twitter.com/ActingTheGom/status/1234967593355743232?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

I guess because they can't blame Sinn Fein for it..

• Advertisement

Michael O Brien on Q+A 1999. It was one of the reasons that Q+A was cancelled. The program was too risky for our Politicians.

Leo Varadkar was on the Panel with Noel Dempsey.

In the UK their equivalent program Question Time continues to this day.

https://twitter.com/ActingTheGom/status/1234967593355743232?s=09

It was 2009 that programme with Michael O’Brien.

Advertisement