Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get insured on a car you own for a weekend?

Options
  • 03-03-2020 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

So if you own a car but it wouldn’t make sense to fully insure it because you live abroad, can you insure it for a weekend etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Yes, you need to ring an insurance provider and specify what dates you need to be insured for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Is the car taxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

sell it. use go car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

irish_goat wrote: »
    Yes, you need to ring an insurance provider and specify what dates you need to be insured for.

And this the case even without a full policy in place currently?

To be clear I’m not going to get added to an existing policy, I’m going to need a new policy in place for just a few days in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

With some insurers there's a minimum duration they'll insure it. I've done this before and the min was 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Is the car taxed?

What colour jocks are you wearing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Have you just asked any insurance companies?

If the car isn't taxed then any insurance is null and void I am 99% sure.
    Just hire a car for the weekend OP?

Your 1% has let you down badly.

Why post when you genuinely don't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There is a way to do it but you won't get away with it too often, under distance selling you can cancel the policy within 14 days. But for the cost of getting the car taxed, NCT and serviced you'd have a hire car for the weekend.

• Advertisement

That's a myth and off topic

"Motor tax
    It is a legal requirement to pay motor tax if you want to drive your vehicle in a public place. Details of motor tax requirements, rates and how to apply. (Including the online motor tax payment service).

Motor insurance
    Motor insurance is a compulsory requirement to drive a car in a public place. A current Certificate of Insurance is required to obtain motor tax.
    "
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/

"Motor tax
    It is a legal requirement to pay motor tax if you want to drive your vehicle in a public place. Details of motor tax requirements, rates and how to apply. (Including the online motor tax payment service).

Motor insurance
    Motor insurance is a compulsory requirement to drive a car in a public place. A current Certificate of Insurance is required to obtain motor tax.
    "

What part of this says you need tax for insurance to be valid?

"Motor tax

Motor insurance
    "
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/

I'd suggest you read that again

What part of this says you need tax for insurance to be valid?

They are both compulsory requirements?

They are both compulsory requirements?

Correct, what about your statement below?

Correct, what about your statement below?

Well feel free to enlighten me if I am wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If you have no tax but are insured and a member for the Garda stop you, you will be charged for no tax. This does not invalidate your insurance, in the case I stated you could not be charged for no insurance.

Actually there are very few things that can make your insurance invalid at least for 3rd party cover.

Using fraud to obtain the insurance in the first place is the only one I can think of.
    You can be out of your mind on drink and drugs while driving unaccompanied with a learner permit and you will still be covered 3rd party.

tuxy wrote: »
    If you have no tax but are insured and a member for the Garda stop you, you will be charged for no tax. This does not invalidate your insurance, in the case I stated you could not be charged for no insurance.

Actually there are very few things that can make your insurance invalid at least for 3rd party cover.

Using fraud to obtain the insurance in the first place is the only one I can think of.
    You can be out of your mind on drink and drugs while driving unaccompanied with a learner permit and you will still be covered 3rd party.

Do you not need to prove that the car is taxed before insuring it? I honestly don't know, I thought you did though.

Have you found anything that supports your statement that insurance is null and void without tax?

• Advertisement

Do you not need to prove that the car is taxed before insuring it? I honestly don't know, I thought you did though.

I've never been asked.

Why would you post something with 99% certainty when you don't actually know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

To get back to topic.
    You can get short term insurance but as mentioned probably not just for the weekend. I'd suggest hiring a car for the weekend is probably less hassle and less cost.

Why would you post something with 99% certainty when you don't actually know?

Well I was right in saying that you need both. If you want to pick holes after that, you do that and have a lovely afternoon.

Well I was right in saying that you need both. If you want to pick holes after that, you do that and have a lovely afternoon.

But that's not what your said, try reading your original post again.
    If the car isn't taxed then any insurance is null and void I am 99% sure?

See the problem with it?
    Just try not to give people false advice.
    Where did you even come up with that 99% estimation?

“Well I was right in the statement no one disputed, I was wrong about the thing I said I was 99% sure about, i don’t know why you would have a problem with that” :)

Thanks to those who replied constructively. Selling and renting it is.

Mod- feel free to close the thread as answer has been provided

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Your can tax a car for 3 months. After that period your insurance will still be valid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

tuxy wrote: »

Covered for 3rd party yes but my understanding is that is to protect the victim, they will always payout even if fraud (think it may be required by legislation that insurance companies payout) however the insurance company can come after you to recoup the funds.
    Not for no tax but for other reason including no NCT, how often they do I don't know, they may often decide no worth it.

Back to OP though, how often are these weekends, a few times a year or just once.
    You are not going to have any no claims bonus built up (if you already do it will vanish as only full years counted) so if the insurance was cheap enough you may be aswell to just pay for full year (particularly if you are planning coming back in future so you have no claims).

You would have to do the sums yourself but I think Go Car or similar would be best if just need car for few small trips. If want for a full weekend might be cheaper to do with car rental firm, and also have advantage of airport pickup/dropoff with that option.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    So if you own a car but it wouldn’t make sense to fully insure it because you live abroad, can you insure it for a weekend etc?
    You have a home address which isn't in Ireland?
    No Irish insurer will offer you insurance if you are not resident in the Country.
    All I can do with my car is polish it. I can't get insurance so I can't drive it on public roads in Ireland. If I could I would have been driving it as car hire at peak times of the year is expensive. I phoned many insurers.

• Advertisement

You have a home address which isn't in Ireland?
    No Irish insurer will offer you insurance if you are not resident in the Country.
    All I can do with my car is polish it. I can't get insurance so I can't drive it on public roads in Ireland. If I could I would have been driving it as car hire at peak times of the year is expensive. I phoned many insurers.

I was a named driver on an Irish resident’s insurance policy for the car previously. That is no longer an option.

Advertisement