Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get insured on a car you own for a weekend?

Options
2»

Comments

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I was a named driver on an Irish resident’s insurance policy for the car previously. That is no longer an option.
    If it is any consolation I just rented a car for just over 20 euro for a long weekend so as long as you are renting in low season it can be very cheap and convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

"Motor tax
    It is a legal requirement to pay motor tax if you want to drive your vehicle in a public place. Details of motor tax requirements, rates and how to apply. (Including the online motor tax payment service).

Motor insurance
    Motor insurance is a compulsory requirement to drive a car in a public place. A current Certificate of Insurance is required to obtain motor tax.
    "
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/

Tangent Central

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Do you not need to prove that the car is taxed before insuring it? I honestly don't know, I thought you did though.

No. I have car insured 12 mths of the year, but only tax it sporadically, depending on use.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just goes to show how badly that 1% can let someone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

tuxy wrote: »
    Just goes to show how badly that 1% can let someone down.

Hes had an absolute mare with this one. Posts his totally incorrect statement with "99% certainty" and later admits to not actually having a clue. Why people like that even bother posting is a mystery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

If you have no tax but are insured and a member for the Garda stop you, you will be charged for no tax. This does not invalidate your insurance, in the case I stated you could not be charged for no insurance.

Actually there are very few things that can make your insurance invalid at least for 3rd party cover.

Using fraud to obtain the insurance in the first place is the only one I can think of.
    You can be out of your mind on drink and drugs while driving unaccompanied with a learner permit and you will still be covered 3rd party.

Except that you won't be indemnified, and the insurance company can then pursue you for all costs related to the claim. So you won't be charged for driving without insurance, but could wind up with a huge bill.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Hes had an absolute mare with this one. Posts his totally incorrect statement with "99% certainty" and later admits to not actually having a clue. Why people like that even bother posting is a mystery.

It's the internet, everyone has to be an expert on every topic discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

galwaytt wrote: »
    No. I have car insured 12 mths of the year, but only tax it sporadically, depending on use.

It's actually the opposite way around. You have to have insurance to get tax but people are getting around this too if needed.
    Back to the original question, insuring a car for a short spell is pretty difficult here.
    They will require tgat a full policy is taken out for a year. Depending on company, an early cancellation can then be costly enough. If you have no recent history of driving here, that policy will cost 2 or 3k.
    The whole system here is nuts. Even a resident here looking to put a second car on the road for summer or weekends is near impossible as they will say your no claims cannot apply to a second policy so make you start from scratch on the second car.
    It makes a mockery of the whole idea of pricing being associated with risk - more pricing based on opportunity to ripoff.

mickdw wrote: »
    It's actually the opposite way around. You have to have insurance to get tax but people are getting around this too if needed.

A few times when renewing tax online I wasn't bothered looking up the policy number so made it up.
    They still accepted my money and sent me a disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

If the car isn't taxed then any insurance is null and void I am 99% sure.
    Just hire a car for the weekend OP?

And if the garda isn't wearing his hat the judge will throw the case out !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Well I was right in saying that you need both. If you want to pick holes after that, you do that and have a lovely afternoon.

You were wrong. That's ok. Accept it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

If the car isn't taxed then any insurance is null and void I am 99% sure. Just hire a car for the weekend OP?

Utter nonsense why would you post that when you obviously haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A few times when renewing tax online I wasn't bothered looking up the policy number so made it up.

Ya I did say people are getting around it but there should be limited enough situations where you would be looking to tax an uninsured car - possibly people driving on extensions where their insurer doesn't need the car being driven to have a policy itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Thought I was the only one who tried that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭cml387

image?id=104222

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Dots1982 wrote: »
    So if you own a car but it wouldn’t make sense to fully insure it because you live abroad, can you insure it for a weekend etc?

If you live abroad I do not think any Irish insurance company will insure you on an Irish car. I tried to arrange this a few years ago when I lived in the UK in the UK and wanted to keep a car at my home here for occasional use.

Advertisement