Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prospective landlords asking for too much information

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

beauf wrote: »
    There is no way of selecting this person except at random in the logic trap that's been created here.

Only trapping those that have convinced themselves that data-mining is the only way to 'interview' tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

There is no way of selecting this person except at random in the logic trap that's been created here.

It's the exact same same as those IT systems.

And like those IT systems, the problem isn't the law, but the people themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Graham wrote: »
    Only trapping those that have convinced themselves that data-mining is the only way to 'interview' tenants.

data-mining sounds a bit dramatic
    maybe if you were a LL yourself you'd understand how crucial it is to run checks before giving you house to a stranger

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    maybe if you were a LL yourself you'd understand how crucial it is to run checks before giving you house to a stranger

Checks are absolutely essential, at no point have I suggested otherwise.

Neither does the DPC guidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

In theory any sort of verbal interview is also data mining by that logic. ;)

The interview can't use personal data (op original premise) and you have to record it to prove its not discriminatory and you need the contract details when people turn it down. Except you can't record any of it because of the first point.

The only solution is to pick at random. If they fail any checks (which are very easy to fool) then you pick the next person at random and repeat the checks. You've ruled out any other options..

• Advertisement

Checks are absolutely essential, at no point have I suggested otherwise.

Neither does the DPC guidelines.

But you can't select anyone to check, without out breaking one of these rules.

Unless I've missed it, absolutely zero posters have said checks can never be carried out. Doing checks of the person you've decided to offer the place to so that you can confirm their suitability is fine.

But getting this type of information from multiple people in the off chance it might save you some time if something doesn't work out with your first preference isn't fine.

This really isn't rocket science.

NuMarvel wrote: »

...and yet you can't explain how someone selects that first preference (and second for that matter) and keeps a record of how they were selected but without storing any data...

...and yet you can't explain how someone selects that first preference (and second for that matter) and keeps a record of how they were selected but without storing any data...

You're right that I can't explain how they do this without storing any data, because nobody has said they do this without storing *any* data.

That's a straw-man you've come up to avoid addressing what's been said.

"...such information will not be necessary until such time as a landlord decides upon a preferred tenant..."

You can't get the information to select the client until after you've selected him.

• Advertisement

Even if a tenant gives consent you can't take it....

"..Landlords should be wary of seeking to rely on consent as a legal basis for the collection
    of personal data from prospective tenants, as the imbalance of power in the landlord-
    tenant relationship will likely mean that the consent is not is ‘freely given’ by the tenant
    for the processing of their personal data – which is a requirement where relying on
    consent under the GDPR...."

it continues
    In other cases landlords may seek certain information in order to protect their own
    financial or property interests (e.g. a reference from a previous landlord in respect of the
    prospective tenant to whom the property is being offered) and, in such cases, reliance
    may be placed on the legitimate interests legal basis. However, where this is the case,
    the landlord must be able to demonstrate how the personal data sought (in particular
    the nature and extent of the information being requested in a reference) is not
    disproportionate or outweighed by the rights of the tenant (i.e. their right to privacy and
    protection of their personal data).

and
    Personal data should not be requested, collected, or stored by landlords on a ‘just in case’ basis

You keep jumping to the second stage and ignoring how you got to that point. How are you meant to shortlist one or more prospective tenants with no information. Out of 20 what makes someone "prospective". Nice suit? Posh accent, a sad story?

Further more you may have to prove this selection was not discriminatory. How do you prove that. Considering ability to pay is considered discriminatory.

It's all academic anyway.

Further more you may have to prove this selection was not discriminatory. How do you prove that. Considering ability to pay is considered discriminatory.

That raises an interesting question all on its own, probably worthy of a thread of its own.

Outside of the whole GDPR question:

how does a landlord disprove discrimination (or prove non-discrimination).

That raises an interesting question all on its own, probably worthy of a thread of its own.

Outside of the whole GDPR question:

how does a landlord disprove discrimination (or prove non-discrimination).

By trampling all over people's privacy rights seems to be answer going by this thread.

The point some posters seem to miss is that people like me, who want to make sure our equality rights aren't breached, also want to make sure our privacy is protected. People shouldn't be put in a position where they're effectively asked to chose which rights they want breached.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

It's all academic anyway.
    Could not agree more. This thread shows exactly the detachment of some of the posters from reality. The OP can do whatever he/she wants, I would not even ask for references, neither in the ad (that would be pure stupidity) and neither in the emails (nothing written), if the tenants are clever they will provide references and financial means proof voluntarily as soon as they are interested in the property, if they are not (like the OP and some other posters seem to be) then they would be discarded from selection in the blink of an eye. :D
    All the BS unenforceable Irish regulations (described perfectly in this thread) restricting freedom of contract in the rental/property market introduced since 2010 have done nothing but worsening the situation for tenants, but still a big chunk of the Irish have lately voted for "moar", usually they are from that chunk of the population that lives off the state.

By trampling all over people's privacy rights seems to be answer going by this thread.

The point some posters seem to miss is that people like me, who want to make sure our equality rights aren't breached, also want to make sure our privacy is protected. People shouldn't be put in a position where they're effectively asked to chose which rights they want breached.

How do you expect a landlord to trust your ability to pay and to take care of his/her property if you was unwilling to provide information about yourself?
    I'd rather leave my house vacant than give it to a stranger that may not have a stable job, may have failed to pay rent to previous landlord and so on

GGTrek wrote: »
    Could not agree more. This thread shows exactly the detachment of some of the posters from reality. The OP can do whatever he/she wants, I would not even ask for references, neither in the ad (that would be pure stupidity) and neither in the emails (nothing written), if the tenants are clever they will provide references and financial means proof voluntarily as soon as they are interested in the property, if they are not (like the OP and some other posters seem to be) then they would be discarded from selection in the blink of an eye. :D
    All the BS unenforceable Irish regulations (described perfectly in this thread) restricting freedom of contract in the rental/property market introduced since 2010 have done nothing but worsening the situation for tenants, but still a big chunk of the Irish have lately voted for "moar", usually they are from that chunk of the population that lives off the state.

Perfeclty said

Unless I've missed it, absolutely zero posters have said checks can never be carried out. Doing checks of the person you've decided to offer the place to so that you can confirm their suitability is fine.

But getting this type of information from multiple people in the off chance it might save you some time if something doesn't work out with your first preference isn't fine.

Let's put this way, If you a looking for a house to rent you have better chances of getting one if you are upfront about your income and have a good records of paying rent to previous landlords.
    A Landlord shouldn't even have to ask for this information

• Advertisement

You're inventing conflict where there is none.

The question asked by this thread is if you remove all the information to make critical decision, how do you make that decision. Also if you want that decision to stand up to scrutiny, so there is no discrimination, how do you record it.

This is not unique to rental market. This is a common scenario in lots of business cases. If often why people in a business scenario won't put anything in writing or email. Then that culture become systemic in an organisation. Then they wonder why communication culture is so dysfunctional in their organisation.

If you don't want to give information, you don't have to. But then neither does the other party either. They'll effectively just ignore each other.

How do you expect a landlord to trust your ability to pay and to take care of his/her property if you was unwilling to provide information about yourself?
    I'd rather leave my house vacant than give it to a stranger that may not have a stable job, may have failed to pay rent to previous landlord and so on

Of course I'm willing to provide information that verifies that. I've had four landlords in my lifetime and I've had no issue giving them information like that when they offered me the place.

Why are posters acting as if data protection laws that have been around for decades suddenly mean they can't check this information for the prospective tenant?

You're inventing conflict where there is none.

I'm pointing out the contradiction of posters saying they have to comply with equality legislation while they continue to ignore their obligations under data protection legislation.

Let's put this way, If you a looking for a house to rent you have better chances of getting one if you are upfront about your income and have a good records of paying rent to previous landlords.
    A Landlord shouldn't even have to ask for this information

Some posters have said they've asked for a lot more than that; eg live online banking data.

Can you really not see how that's excessive?

I'm pointing out the contradiction of posters saying they have to comply with equality legislation while they continue to ignore their obligations under data protection legislation.

Changing your process you don't have have to deal with it, is not ignoring it.

Changing your process you don't have have to deal with it, is not ignoring it.

Correct.

It might mean a landlord can't collect enormous amounts of data before the viewing stages but changing the process is exactly the answer.

LL won't need to. Most of the list will eliminate themselves from selection.

Bit like the person who emailed me yesterday requesting a meeting but failed to specify subject, time or location.
    I just replied sure, but also failed to specify subject, time or location.

Some posters have said they've asked for a lot more than that; eg live online banking data.

Can you really not see how that's excessive?

I've people asking for screen shots of bank accounts that show recent rent payments. That's totally fine with me. I would ask for that too

I've people asking for screen shots of bank accounts that show recent rent payments. That's totally fine with me. I would ask for that too

And I've said earlier that asking for proof of recent rent payments seems fine to me.

Would you agree that requests to see full bank accounts would be excessive?

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

From what I understand, as per GDPR & GDC we are being asked too much from "prospective" landlords, namely:

PPS number
    Copy of ID
    Payslips / bank statements

ID is also excessive. Since a PPS or indeed a phone number is uniquely identifiable can't ask for that either.

So some people won't give it, and I wonder how far they'll get before realizing the LL has no means (or intention) to contact them.

Advertisement