Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prospective landlords asking for too much information

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

By that time all the other interested individuals will have gone elsewhere.

Takes less than 24 hours to cross reference bank statements and check references. If the prospective tenant isnt organised with the info required you simply move on to the next one on your list of 'offers' who is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Takes less than 24 hours to cross reference bank statements and check references. If the prospective tenant isnt organised with the info required you simply move on to the next one on your list of 'offers' who is.

24 hours is long enough to lose a prospective tenant.If no 2 falls flat it is 48 hours without any tenant and the prospects of no 3 being still in the hunt are minimal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

24 hours is long enough to lose a prospective tenant.If no 2 falls flat it is 48 hours without any tenant and the prospects of no 3 being still in the hunt are minimal.

:confused:

If tenants were able to find a rental property that quickly/easily, excessive requirements from some landlords wouldn't be a problem.

Graham wrote: »
    :confused:

If tenants were able to find a rental property that quickly/easily, excessive requirements from some landlords wouldn't be a problem.

Good tenants will always find property easily.

Good tenants will always find property easily.

I don't think your theory holds water when you've got 10, 20, 30 people looking to view a single property.

• Advertisement

I don't think your theory holds water when you've got 10, 20, 30 people looking to view a single property.

Each of those 10, 20, 30 will also look at many other properties. Not all of them will be of equally high calibre as tenants. The best of them will be accommodated very quickly.

Each of those 10, 20, 30 will also look at many other properties. Not all of them will be of equally high calibre as tenants. The best of them will be accommodated very quickly.

Your description of how the rental market is currently working is at best somewhat detached from reality.

Getting back on topic. Even if your unrealistic scenario were true, it doesn't change the data protection/GDPR legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Strumms wrote: »
    Problem I have is if I agree a lease with a landlord, say 1400 per month for a property, once the landlord has access to first hand info like a payslip he can go about using that information to establish how much more he can get away with charging...

I earn take home 2500 say per month, the girlfriend the same, the landlord such is landlord mindset is thinking...”hmmm circa 5 grand per month into their hand between them, no fûck it, they can afford 1800 per month, I WANT 1800!”. Nothing to do with the location of the property, the size, condition and comforts, he is trying to maximize his asset by virtue of scanning and examining your personal finances to find your ‘ability to pay’ as opposed to the true value. This may not manifest itself in the initial rent or it may, but after the lease is up it’s going to be used against you when the rent goes up.

A letter from an employer, should suffice, your work ID to view etc... them having a big brotheresque ‘IN’ into your finances and financial documents.... ‘NO’ ****ïng way, walk away if that shït starts.

Ah what a load of crap...

Getting back on topic. Even if your unrealistic scenario were true, it doesn't change the data protection/GDPR legislation.

Who said it did?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Problem I have is if I agree a lease with a landlord, say 1400 per month for a property, once the landlord has access to first hand info like a payslip he can go about using that information to establish how much more he can get away with charging...

I earn take home 2500 say per month, the girlfriend the same, the landlord such is landlord mindset is thinking...”hmmm circa 5 grand per month into their hand between them, no fûck it, they can afford 1800 per month, I WANT 1800!”. Nothing to do with the location of the property, the size, condition and comforts, he is trying to maximize his asset by virtue of scanning and examining your personal finances to find your ‘ability to pay’ as opposed to the true value. This may not manifest itself in the initial rent or it may, but after the lease is up it’s going to be used against you when the rent goes up.

A letter from an employer, should suffice, your work ID to view etc... them having a big brotheresque ‘IN’ into your finances and financial documents.... ‘NO’ ****ïng way, walk away if that shït starts.

you can't be serious

• Advertisement

A letter from your employer is meaningless as far as ability to pay is concerned. Would you expect a bank to give you a loan or mortgage without assessing your ability to pay? A LL is operating a business, the load of rubbish you posted shows you don't understand this fact.

You are welcome to walk away but as more and more LL do proper checks into perspective tenants you will end up with nowhere to rent unless you are willing to meet these very reasonable and sensible requests.

as more and more LL do proper checks into perspective tenants you will end up with nowhere to rent unless you are willing to meet these very reasonable and sensible requests.

It's quite reasonable for a landlord to do proper checks against their preferred tenant.

It's quite reasonable for a landlord to do proper checks against their preferred tenant.

Its quite reasonable for a LL to do proper checks against a short list of tenants as you cant rank your preferences without doing the proper checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Your description of how the rental market is currently working is at best somewhat detached from reality.....

There's a lot of that on this thread.

How about if LL ask for info and you don't want to give it, then don't. End of problem.

LL don't ask for info, if its offered you have your shortlist tenants. End of problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd love to know what a proper check is, since most of whats offered can be spoofed and faked. But thats a different issue.

Your description of how the rental market is currently working is at best somewhat detached from reality.

That has been the recent experience of an agent I have spoken to and of a number of landlords.

That has been the recent experience of an agent I have spoken to and of a number of landlords.

Awesome, the housing crisis must have ended while none of us were looking.

Awesome, the housing crisis must have ended while none of us were looking.

Rents have been falling for the last year. Some people don't seem to have noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://www.threshold.ie/advice/seeking-private-rented-accommodation/what-information-can-a-landlord-request-from-me/
    https://www.dataprotection.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/2019-07/190710%20Requesting%20Personal%20Data%20from%20Prospective%20Tenants.pdf
    https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/news-media/podcasts/know-your-data-requesting-personal-data-prospective-tenants-1

From what I understand, as per GDPR & GDC we are being asked too much from "prospective" landlords, namely:

PPS number
    Copy of ID
    Payslips / bank statements

(I'm happy to provide landlord/work references)

I'm paranoid that eventually I'll come across a scumbag who's in it to use my info & do something like open an account in my name.

" The tenant must give their details to the landlord, including their Personal Public Service Number (PPS Number)."

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/registering_a_tenancy.html

Payslip proves you have income and Id proves who you are, whats important is the landlord does not misuse your data and also ensures its safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Rents have been falling for the last year. Some people don't seem to have noticed.

Rents have not been falling for the last year.

According to the most recent RTB/ESRI figures, the rate of increases in rents has fallen in certain sectors (namely apartments in Dublin), but that is not the same as saying the rents themselves have fallen. The most recent RTB/ESRI figures show that in every sector the average monthly rent is higher than it was 12 months previous.

• Advertisement

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Rents have not been falling for the last year.

According to the most recent RTB/ESRI figures, the rate of increases in rents has fallen in certain sectors (namely apartments in Dublin), but that is not the same as saying the rents themselves have fallen. The most recent RTB/ESRI figures show that in every sector the average monthly rent is higher than it was 12 months previous.

Those are statistics, I know people who have had to reduce their rents on accommodation. The statistics will show rents which have been increased by the statutory 4%. This will give the false impression that rents are rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Those are statistics, I know people who have had to reduce their rents on accommodation. The statistics will show rents which have been increased by the statutory 4%. This will give the false impression that rents are rising.

So when you said "Rents have been falling for the last year.", you were talking about the handful of landlords you claim to know, and not the market in general.

Little wonder then that "Some people don't seem to have noticed" (as you went on to say), because the vast majority of us don't know these people, and their experience is not reflective of the market overall in any case.

Advertisement