Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is any of this legal?? Water shortages, Unannounced entry to property

Options
  • 03-03-2020 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for a bit of information for two friends.

Both girls are 20 and are renting in Cabra.

Room is 1000 a month and they share the house with a few others.

They are living in the house 5 months and dont have individual contracts for the room. One guy who doesn't live there has the full contract in his name.

Anyway, they have been having issues with this guy just walking into the house whenever he pleases, his girlfriend has also done the same at times.

The girls feel they have no privacy and no locks on any of the doors inside the house.

They have been having water issues for a few months now.

This is the message I got from one of the girls this morning.

On weekends we cannot wash clothes, if we use the washing machine we run out of water for the bath, in the sinks and in the toilets. When this happens, the water only returns the next day. Every weekend is the same and worst of all, the last people to bathe always run out of water. We stayed in the middle of October until the end of November last year, completely without water. The only place that had water was in the kitchen sink we needed to use buckets to bring up to use the bathroom and take a shower (for over a month). During the week the water is normal during the day and part of the night, but if I wanted to take a late shower I won't be able to.

This guy is ignoring there complaints and is now looking for a rent increase.

I told them to go to RTB but the house is not registered and the fact they dont have contract, they are afraid to rock the boat.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Who is your his “guy”? Is he the property owner, the lead tenant, a relative? Does he have a room in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

moany fuc wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking for a bit of information for two friends.

Both girls are 20 and are renting in Cabra.

Room is 1000 a month and they share the house with a few others.

They are living in the house 5 months and dont have individual contracts for the room. One guy who doesn't live there has the full contract in his name.

Anyway, they have been having issues with this guy just walking into the house whenever he pleases, his girlfriend has also done the same at times.

The girls feel they have no privacy and no locks on any of the doors inside the house.

They have been having water issues for a few months now.

This is the message I got from one of the girls this morning.

On weekends we cannot wash clothes, if we use the washing machine we run out of water for the bath, in the sinks and in the toilets. When this happens, the water only returns the next day. Every weekend is the same and worst of all, the last people to bathe always run out of water. We stayed in the middle of October until the end of November last year, completely without water. The only place that had water was in the kitchen sink we needed to use buckets to bring up to use the bathroom and take a shower (for over a month). During the week the water is normal during the day and part of the night, but if I wanted to take a late shower I won't be able to.

This guy is ignoring there complaints and is now looking for a rent increase.

I told them to go to RTB but the house is not registered and the fact they dont have contract, they are afraid to rock the boat.

Thanks

It sounds like the guy renting it out is subletting and by coming and going as he pleases is trying to create the situation that they are licensees rather than tenants. Also, a grand a month for a twin (?) room in Cabra seems nuts.

I'd be waiting a month more (when they are six months in situ) before making any RTB complaint. Are all complaints about no water in writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭moany fuc

Browney7 wrote: »
    It sounds like the guy renting it out is subletting and by coming and going as he pleases is trying to create the situation that they are licensees rather than tenants. Also, a grand a month for a twin (?) room in Cabra seems nuts.

I'd be waiting a month more (when they are six months in situ) before making any RTB complaint. Are all complaints about no water in writing?

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Yes this appears to be the situation. This guy has the full lease(contract) with the agency and he is subletting these rooms out. I will find out if the have the water issues in writing.

He has some neck looking for an increase in rent with on going problems he wont fix.

Advertisement