Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European language studied- choice or no choice?

Options
  • 03-03-2020 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, My daughter just transferred mid-year to the local secondary school (she’s a 1st year student) after a struggle to get this transfer. She was studying Italian in the previous school, which they don’t do here; the foreign languages they study are French, Spanish and German. When I met the lady in charge with the transfer she said we can only pick German as this is the only one available. I’ve tried to explain that she’d be much more interested in a Latin language (preferable Spanish- but French would do as well) as we are coming from a Latin country and she can be much better at any of the others than German. But the lady said that’s the sacrifice my daughter has to make to join their school implying they done us a big favour by accepting the transfer. Couldn’t say much in reply to that . However she started German but she hates it, she’s very stressed out about it and I don’t know what to do. She could do so much better and would be so much easier for her if she could do Spanish, especially because she already studied 6 months of Italian and there are similarities in grammar, words etc
    My query is: would I have any chance/ grounds in pursuing a change of this German language to any of the others, and if so, what would be the best course of action (nicest way to go about it) as I don’t want to start a war with the school. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

If the school only has room in the German class then you could be stuck
    With it. Could she continue Italian or Spanish after school with a view to switching of a space becomes available later (after the junior cycle is finished).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 No nonsense

Yes, she has this option to switch after junior cert and sit the leaving cert in whatever language she chooses.

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Can she study it outside of school?

Advertisement