Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

disinfecting electric shaver

• 03-03-2020 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

hi all, a friend at work wants to give me his top of the line braun series 9 shaver that he got a few months ago and does not like compared to standard shaving.

He said to change the head on shaver and it would be clean to use like new.
    I am iffy about this, and allthou the head is seperate from the body of shaver, i feel more should be done ...should i get barbicide to soak the entire unit first? is that enough to make it sterile?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

spacekiwi wrote: »
    hi all, a friend at work wants to give me his top of the line braun series 9 shaver that he got a few months ago and does not like compared to standard shaving.

He said to change the head on shaver and it would be clean to use like new.
    I am iffy about this, and allthou the head is seperate from the body of shaver, i feel more should be done ...should i get barbicide to soak the entire unit first? is that enough to make it sterile?

thanks.

What do you think you'll pick up off it? If it was me I'd just clean the head and work way.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭spacekiwi

Yeah, i could be being a bit of a germaphobe...
    Im still going to nuke this thing with dettol and cleaning wipes and barbicide...but was reading horror stories online...but i think they were old type elec razors where only the top foils detatched, not the entire head unit...
    Was just hoping to get a nurses or other type medical workers opinion on it...

spacekiwi wrote: »
    ........make it sterile?

There are pharmaceutical plants steaming vessels with temperatures north of 121 degrees celcius for half an hour and they don't claim sterility :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭spacekiwi

Well...safe to use i mean..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dettol doesn't kill all germs. Some people use it as grow some pseudomonas species because it kills other bacteria but pseudomonas use the active ingredient as a food source. Also not sure how the chlorinated stuff reacts with the plastics.

I'd probably use isopropyl alcohol or meths BUT any nooks and crannies not reached won't be affected AND it will remove all lubricating oils. Also may affect soft/rubbery plastics.

Look up the manufacturers web site ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

I'd put it up there with using a syringe from someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭AuldDaysul

The series 9 should come with a clean and renew station. It has replaceable refill packs of a cleaning and sterilising fluid. You stick the razor in the station after each shave and it charges it and cleans it in the fluid. The Braun branded refills are actually made in Ireland.

If you really bothered then just buy a new head, about €40 iirc. Check if he has the cleaning station, I didn't think you could buy the actual razor on it's own without it.

Advertisement