Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving before end of notice period

Options
  • 03-03-2020 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭

I have secured a new house to move into which is available immediately. I accept I have to give my current LL a months notice,my rent is paid up to April 1st anyway.

If I move into the new property straight away will my LL see this as breaching the notice or is he likely to care once rent is paid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Gael23 wrote: »
    I have secured a new house to move into which is available immediately. I accept I have to give my current LL a months notice,my rent is paid up to April 1st anyway.

If I move into the new property straight away will my LL see this as breaching the notice or is he likely to care once rent is paid?

Did the landlord give you notice to leave originally which prompted you to seek a new property or are you just moving because you want to?

Are you a tenant or a licensee in your current situation? LL might be sound and willing to work with you to some degree but is under no compulsion to do so. Either way, talk to your LL and let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Browney7 wrote: »
    Did the landlord give you notice to leave originally which prompted you to seek a new property or are you just moving because you want to?

Are you a tenant or a licensee in your current situation? LL might be sound and willing to work with you to some degree but is under no compulsion to do so. Either way, talk to your LL and let them know.
    It’s my own decision to move. Am on a license basis so no fixed term, just a months notice from either side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

If you are a licensee then your not a tenant and owner is not your landlord and he and you can do what you or he want. If unhappy with withholding deposit etc you can take small claims court case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

None of this licencee stuff is really enforceable or even worth enforcing.

If you were to just leave in the morning and not be paying anymore then there really isn't much the landlord could do, only forget about it and let the room out to the next person. For the amount of money involved, it is not really worth pursuing as a new lodger could be had in a matter of hours in this market.

None of this licencee stuff is really enforceable or even worth enforcing.

If you were to just leave in the morning and not be paying anymore then there really isn't much the landlord could do, only forget about it and let the room out to the next person. For the amount of money involved, it is not really worth pursuing as a new lodger could be had in a matter of hours in this market.

It’s about €1500 he would owe me based on deposit and remainder of months rent

• Advertisement

Find him a new lodger that he is satisfied with and then they pay rent and you recover your deposit from them.

Find him a new lodger that he is satisfied with and then they pay rent and you recover your deposit from them.

So they pay deposit to me?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

As the OP is a licensee and not a tenant this approach is purely at the whim/discretion of the landlord.

That is true. But it might work if the OP can find someone that the landlord is happy to take on.

Advertisement