Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox with a shotgun

Options
  • 03-03-2020 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Well whats the max range that anyone is shooting fox's at and what shells you using.I shot 3 fox's last year all cubs,2 on the hay field after mowing and 1 on the back lawn.The 2 on the hay field were shot with fiocchi number 5 at around 30 yards the 1 on the lawn was shot with the 22lr at less than 20 yards.
    Are the big 50gr 0s going to extend the range to 50/60 yards or do they pattern crap.Is buckshot worth trying or has it not enough lead shot in it.I know everyone will say get a 223 but i really would not need one as im not going out every night shooting fox's.Im just knocking a few down that come to close to the house as i keep poultry all year and like to raise a few turkeys at Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Max H

3 so far, all dog foxes, max 35 yards using 36 gramme BB

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have 3/4 and extra full choke in the shotgun and use RC3's, 36gr 5s. Drops them dead. However i keep the range to 45/50 yards max. Possibly could hit them further out but i don't fancy a morning/evening chasing a wounded one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Cass wrote: »
    I have 3/4 and extra full choke in the shotgun and use RC3's, 36gr 5s. Drops them dead. However i keep the range to 45/50 yards max. Possibly could hit them further out but i don't fancy a morning/evening chasing a wounded one.

Have you ever shot the big 45/50gr shells with 2s, 1s or 0s.Do they increase range much.I know the answer is probably buy a box put up a lump of cardboard at 50y and see how they pattern.

Nah.

Might sound a little preachy, its not meant as such, but i use a shotgun like a shotgun. Birds and close foxes, rabbits, etc. If i'm going for dead knocking power i break out the 223 or even the 308 (if i'm out with it and one presents itself).

I don't like using the big, magnum, shells. I've no proof of this but to me they seem hard on a gun and as said if i need serious knocking power i have a choice of rifles that'll do the job.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Cant beat good old Aphamax AAA or BB out to 40 yards. Think there 36g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Years ago we always used Winchester 0's when lamping fox's. They were hard beat. Don't even think you can get them any more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Asus1 wrote: »
    Have you ever shot the big 45/50gr shells with 2s, 1s or 0s.Do they increase range much.I know the answer is probably buy a box put up a lump of cardboard at 50y and see how they pattern.
    Back in the day when foxes were making €30 plus my mate (RIP)and I used to go out at the weekends with a half doz. terriers and hunt the covers. We used most everything in the shotguns but found that Eley Grand Prix BBs gave the most consistent kills. 40 yds plus . We used a cartridges which had 9 and 12 balls as well but this was a very poor cartridge (cant recall the name)at anything over about 20 yds as the spread left a lot of room for miss. We tried a few pattern shots on a sheet of chipboard after we had a few misses and you would not believe the size of the gaps from ball to ball. Don't even know if BBs are still available now. I was using a Brno 3/4 and full at the time. My pal's was a pump action Remington but I cannot recall the choke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I have a box of 10 Remington magnums somewhere, can’t remember the size but you’re welcome to them as I have no use for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Eddie B wrote: »
    Years ago we always used Winchester 0's when lamping fox's. They were hard beat. Don't even think you can get them any more

I still have a few of those Winchester Super Speed 0's. I only use them on special occasions where I know a long range shot is required 40/50 yards. They were by far the best cartridge in my book for foxing. Pity they cant be got anymore.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    I have a box of 10 Remington magnums somewhere, can’t remember the size but you’re welcome to them as I have no use for them.

Great offer im in kildare so i might not be near you,but if you put up where you are i bet someone on here would use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Asus1 wrote: »
    Great offer im in kildare so i might not be near you,but if you put up where you are i bet someone on here would use them.

go into finlays in monasterevin and pick up some rc50's in a zero.

just make sure your gun is chambered for 3 inch. if not he has rc40 that are 2 3/4 and stock them in multiple sizes.

go into finlays in monasterevin and pick up some rc50's in a zero.

just make sure your gun is chambered for 3 inch. if not he has rc40 that are 2 3/4 and stock them in multiple sizes.
    You know what i forgot about finlays.I knew he stocked fiocchi as i got some off him last year i think he stocks eley as well,didn't know he did rc.Sound chap would talk fishing for ages.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

I changed to 50 g no 2 this year and I find them great. The AAA alphamax are pure dirt- no penetrating power at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Cheddite 12b 100 metre 35g 2s

The perfect fox control cartridge. Cheddite’s unique double wad system in the Cheddite 12b 100 metre 35g 2s produces serious results. Holding a dense pattern out to 100 Meters, these cartridges have a devastating effect on anything in the way. 

Anyone tried these? I bought two boxs just to keep a few shells in the pocket but have yet to shoot them.

Anyone tried these? I bought two boxs just to keep a few shells in the pocket but have yet to shoot them.

Do you remember where you bought them.The video makes it look like they act like a slug.
    https://youtu.be/3ojR4aLFFOQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

being cheddite id ask courtlough they are the importer/distributor

being cheddite id ask courtlough they are the importer/distributor

Spot on it was in Courtlough

Spot on it was in Courtlough

Id love to know if they act like they seem to do in the video i linked.Maybe let a few fly at a sheet of cardboard at the weekend and let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Max H

Be interested as well, and i assume a shotgun licence non restricted is ok to purchase them??

Max H wrote: »
    Be interested as well, and i assume a shotgun licence non restricted is ok to purchase them??

Yeah they are not slugs but they seem to have 2 plastic wads back to back.In the video they do seem to stay in the wad cup like a slug.They do seem like something you'd definitely want a good backstop when shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

Max range I'd be shooting foxes is 40 yards, I'd normally use BB cartridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Bagpipe

Apologies for roughness / possible illegality but I've seen cut shells and slugs used to eliminate foxes at approximately 55 - 60 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Back in the day when foxes were making €30 plus my mate (RIP)and I used to go out at the weekends with a half doz. terriers and hunt the covers. We used most everything in the shotguns but found that Eley Grand Prix BBs gave the most consistent kills. 40 yds plus . We used a cartridges which had 9 and 12 balls as well but this was a very poor cartridge (cant recall the name)at anything over about 20 yds as the spread left a lot of room for miss. We tried a few pattern shots on a sheet of chipboard after we had a few misses and you would not believe the size of the gaps from ball to ball. Don't even know if BBs are still available now. I was using a Brno 3/4 and full at the time. My pal's was a pump action Remington but I cannot recall the choke.

Think they were the AAA's that were mentioned already. I found them practically useless.

They are. Like multiple musket shots. No real grouping and useless after a short distance. Little less so with good choke choice, but still too much grief for little to no return.

Did you ever get out to let a few fly at a board to see what they look like.

No unfortunately not, took a few days off from shooting after the deer season finished. Sure now, I stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

No unfortunately not, took a few days off from shooting after the deer season finished. Sure now, I stuck in.

Why so ?

I would have thought that current conditions are ideal for a bit of "lone shooting"

Depends on one's interpretation of the social isolation and definitely the up date issued by Leo yesterday -

'no unnecessary travel should take place in the country...' 

Couple that with the IFA president Tim Cullinan statement:

“I am asking members of the public not to call to farms. Those who have business on farms should call strictly by appointment only. Members of the public should avoid entering farms for leisure activities such as walking, shooting or hunting,”

I've been in contact with the farmers and all is good but all are practiceing social distancing, no urgent demands for vermin control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Ok, fair enough.

I am more thinking of vermin control at the moment ( foxes in particular).
    I operate as a sole trader so to speak and would notify the farmer before I venture out in any case so I would have no physical contact with him/her.
    Definitely wont meet anybody else on the farm unless they amend the social distancing from 2 metres to 2 parishes.

In relation to the "unnecessary travel", again the only person in the car would be myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement