Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creaking roof - how concerned?

Options
  • 03-03-2020 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I live in a mid-terrace house in North Dublin. It was built in the 1960s or 1970s.

Across the road is a gap in the housing, and there is a block of flats on one side which might act as a guide to the wind. I believe the house is in a wind tunnel.

When the wind shifts, the roof makes audible creaking sounds.

How concerned should I be about the creaking?
    Tagged:

Comments

slowjoe17 wrote: »
    I live in a mid-terrace house in North Dublin. It was built in the 1960s or 1970s.

Across the road is a gap in the housing, and there is a block of flats on one side which might act as a guide to the wind. I believe the house is in a wind tunnel.

You really need a surveyor/engineer of some sort. This forum is more frequented by cabinetmakers, joiners, woodturners of various levels of skill and enthusiasm.

My advice, get paid professional advice, onsite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

My house regularly creaks in the wind.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

slowjoe17 wrote: »

Can you get into the attic to take pictures.

And can you do the diy needed if you have to??

It will more than likely be work in the roof space.

Is it a cut roof, or a trussed roof.?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Every house creaks as it reacts to temperature changes, wind etc. However if you are really concerned, look into the attic for any obvious signs of rot to the roof timbers. It is possible that there isn't enough ventilation up there (blocked soffit vents for example) which may have caused rot. Unless you are a structural engineer, you wouldn't be qualified to check if the trusses are built correctly. For peace of mind, get a structural engineer in to check your roof. I'm sure it's nothing as the house is 50 years old (and still standing) but it'll put your mind at ease.

All buildings creak with temperature changes and wind.
    OP is probably over reacting. You cannot hear rot.
    No harm examining the house for it, but unless there are issues with damp or water ingress, rot is unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Its fair to say that rotten timber does not creak.

You may be hearing normal movement of tiles and slates in high wind, and calling that creaking.

That does not mean that the roof is creaking.

Its very easy to strengthen existing roof elements from inside the attic space,

if its accessible .

In my experience, many cut roofs were not properly and fully braced during the boom times.

Having both designed and inspected them.

But yours being pre-boom so to speak should be fine.

All timber work creaks and groans to some extent.

if you are very worried consult a structural engineer to examine the roof..

However, I would be inclined to think you are over thinking it and over reacting.

Advertisement