Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircraft stock images

Options
  • 03-03-2020 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Is there a place to get stock images/thumbnails of aircraft models?

I'm building out a solution for a customer and it's be great to use images for various aircraft to accompany the manufacturer and model.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

Ranjo wrote: »
    Is there a place to get stock images/thumbnails of aircraft models?

I'm building out a solution for a customer and it's be great to use images for various aircraft to accompany the manufacturer and model.

How about the photos section of airliners.net ?

storker wrote: »
    How about the photos section of airliners.net ?

Stock means rights free, being able to use without needing permission of the owner or that come with specified permission for certain uses.

What you are suggesting required the OP to get permission for every photo used before use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

If it is a commercial project why should the cost of images not be built in? As someone who has on occasion been approached by commercial interests seeking to use my photos for business purposes, I have always sought a reasonable fee for same. I never charge where it's for personal or non-profit-making use.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

From planespotters.net Terms of Use
    9. Granting of Licensing Rights by the Author to Members and Guests

The author grants all guests and members the right to link thumbnails of published aircraft photos to the original photo on Planespotters.net through the options provided by Planespotters.net. When linking thumbnails, the proper attribution of the author (in the format: “Copyright © display name/author’s name” or “© display name/author’s name”) must not be removed.

Any usage or licensing rights exceeding these Terms of Use can only be granted by the author of the respective aircraft photo. The author can be contacted via the link (Contact Photographer) provided next to each aircraft photo.

So thumbnails can be embedded using their code that provides credit. I don’t see any mention of an API.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I think flickr.com has a similar blanket setting. Could be a source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Unsplash or Pixabay are royalty-free and likely the easiest source for a mock-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Stock means rights free, being able to use without needing permission of the owner or that come with specified permission for certain uses.

What you are suggesting required the OP to get permission for every photo used before use.
    Stock only refers to the catalogue.

Licencing (of said stock) is another matter and can be confusing and complicated.

Pixabay and unsplash are licence free with only basic restrictions:

https://pixabay.com/service/license/

https://unsplash.com/license

Royalty free refers to flat fees with no per usage charges, so could be used in any number of instances. It does not implicitly mean free.

Another method is Commons licencing which come in various flavours. See https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reusing_content_outside_Wikimedia

Also Public Domain.

It is important to be sure you have the correct licence and implement it as prescribed for all images you use or you risk getting hit with an expensive lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Thanks all. I've taken a look around at the various options but nothing quite matching what I originally envisioned.

Best case was a database of all aircraft and a thumbnail (accessible in whatever format, either download/API, etc). The list of aircraft I'm catering for isn't very long, so there's potential to just search/grab images manually.

It is for a commercial project, however is internal only with an audience of about 10 people. I will focus the search for images without copyright. (https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/)

Advertisement