Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance loading

• 03-03-2020 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Hope this is in the right place mods.
    Can anybody give me reasonable answers to these puzzlers?
    Renewing my home insurance has become a struggle this year.
    Most companys won’t even quote me because the house is 160 years old and the couple that will quote want to almost double the premium because the house has a modern, insulated metal roof.
    Firstly, there has to be tens of thousands of houses in Ireland older than 100 yrs old!
    Secondly, the metal roof would be quicker and cheaper to replace versus a slate roof and certainly wouldn’t be any more of a fire hazard than a slate roof.
    The insurance industry in this country is an absolute joke when you come up against this crap.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Issybelle

My house is 110 years old and it is a challenge every year to find a company to insure my house as well. Ironically, my house fares better in a storm than many recently built homes because they built them so well back in the day. Not sure why insurance companies consider old homes high risk; I have never had to claim. FBD insures older houses and I found them quite reasonable. I will be stuck though if they ever decide to raise premiums or not insure anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Issybelle wrote: »
    My house is 110 years old and it is a challenge every year to find a company to insure my house as well. Ironically, my house fares better in a storm than many recently built homes because they built them so well back in the day. Not sure why insurance companies consider old homes high risk; I have never had to claim. FBD insures older houses and I found them quite reasonable. I will be stuck though if they ever decide to raise premiums or not insure anymore.

I got cover with AXA direct at 1/3 of what brokers were asking.

Advertisement